PDA

View Full Version : Helmet cover?

SkilletsUSMC
03-11-07, 12:29 PM
Anyone know where I can get a WW2 era ****-pot helmet cover? How much would something like that cost. The more used the better.

Semper Fidelis.

konman1
03-11-07, 02:39 PM
Check with a company called Cheaper Than Dirt www.cheaperthandirt.com (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com) they always have that stuff, they are not very expensive $10-15. I get a bunch of catalogs that sell old DERMO gear, Ill look some more.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-11-07, 03:16 PM
Skillets, I'll tell you this much. Do you want a repro, or a 'real' one? The market for these things has gone sky high for the 'real' ones. I'm talking several hundred dollars. Easily.

Point of note, the 'real' WWII M-1 Helmet covers the Marines used did NOT have the EGA on the front; that was a post war addition done around the Korean war.

You can buy repro helmet covers from a variety of sources; the price will depend on how 'accurate' you want the cover to be.

SkilletsUSMC
03-11-07, 04:21 PM
I just need it to look legit. I dont have the moolah to shell out for the REAL stuff. where can I find the repro stuff?

Sgt Leprechaun
03-11-07, 04:37 PM
Try running a search for "USMC Helmet cover" on google. I don't have the sites with me right now that I would tell you to go to. You might also try varients on that theme; "M-1 Helmet Cover" "M-1 Camo Cover" etc.

slowrider
03-11-07, 04:39 PM
I just need it to look legit. I dont have the moolah to shell out for the REAL stuff. where can I find the repro stuff?

check on Ebay

Sgt Leprechaun
03-11-07, 06:32 PM
Skillets, this is a military collector forum I frequent, check out this particular thread, it'll tell you everything you need to know on "repro" USMC helmet covers....

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3036

Sgt Leprechaun
03-11-07, 06:37 PM
Further adding to this, go to www.atthefront.com (http://www.atthefront.com) , they make a nice reproduction M-1 helmet cover. I thought that was the outfit, but had to check my references before I posted it; they will give you a 'square deal' with no BS. Go to the American section, and look under 'headgear', then 'helmet nets and covers'. 34.99 is the price. Much cheaper than trying to pay big $$$$$$$ for an "original", that may or may not be 'original'.

Oh, also, make sure you read this guys other rants and ramblings in his postings, he's hilarious and you'll get some good laughs. I check his site often just to read his stuff.

SkilletsUSMC
03-11-07, 07:19 PM
Thanks To all, especially Sgt Lep. I could browse that "at the front" store for hours.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-11-07, 09:04 PM
Anytime Mac, anytime....and what do you think I've been doing since I posted this?! LOL.

yellowwing
03-11-07, 09:54 PM
Okay, now that we've hooked you up, can you tell us why you need a WW-II helmet cover? Are you going to be Matt Damon's stunt double?

SkilletsUSMC
03-12-07, 11:32 AM
Okay, now that we've hooked you up, can you tell us why you need a WW-II helmet cover? Are you going to be Matt Damon's stunt double?

Ive got an old M-1 Helmet from when I was a Kid and would play war. I would watch movies and wish I had the helmet cover like they did so I could look like my movie heroes. Playing war has become going to war now, but I was looking through some of my old stuff, and found it laying there, still bare as a babys butt. And now having been earned the title, I dont feel like a poseur trying to collect WW2 Marine Corps nostalgia gear... I guess Im old enough to make good on the wants of my childhood.:D

Sgt Leprechaun
03-12-07, 05:35 PM
Amen to that, and, there is nothing wrong with collecting this stuff.....but fair warning, it's like crack..once you start, you can never stop!

If you post some pics of the helmet, I can perhaps give you some more background on it, it may actually be a WWII helmet, or a postwar varient.

RLeon
03-12-07, 10:09 PM
Oh, also, make sure you read this guys other rants and ramblings in his postings, he's hilarious and you'll get some good laughs. I check his site often just to read his stuff.
Is that the guy that calls Marines 'meatheads'?:D
The Sportmans Guide HQ might have some stuff.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/sitemap/department.asp?d=122
Like someone said it's getting harder to find pre Vietnam stuff.
Sportmans guide had HBT covers(the ones that preceeded the current USMC 8 point) that sold out on no time, and they were repros.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-14-07, 06:10 AM
Yeah, it's the same one, but he slams everyone, so I don't take it personal. He's just plain funny all around.

BTW...who said that quote you are using? I like it!

yellowwing
03-14-07, 09:47 AM
You join the Marines to go to war (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/view.php?pg=marine)

RLeon
03-14-07, 01:44 PM
Yellowwing beat me too it...
It's one of those things that no one knows for sure who wrote it but so far as I know it was GySgt Daniel E. Sims, USMC (Ret.) that wrote what I believe to be the greatest explanation of Esprit de Corps.

My Favorite part:
The Marine Corps is the only branch of the U.S. armed forces that recruits people specifically to fight. The Army emphasizes personal development (an army of one), the Navy promises fun (let the journey begin), and the Air Force offers security (it's a great way of life). Missing from all of these advertisements is the hard fact that it is a soldier's lot to suffer and perhaps to die for his people, and to take lives at the risk of his own.

Even the thematic music of the services reflects this evasion. The Army's Caisson Song describes a pleasant country outing over hill and dale, lacking only a picnic basket. Anchors Aweigh, the Navy's celebration of the joys of sailing, could have been penned by Jimmy Buffet. The Air Force song is a lyric poem of blue skies and engine thrust. All is joyful and invigorating, and safe.

There are no landmines in the dales nor snipers behind the hills, no submarines or cruise missiles threaten the ocean jaunt, no bandits are lurking in the wild blue yonder.

The Marines' Hymn, by contrast, is all combat. We fight our country's battles, first to fight for right and freedom, we have fought in every clime and place where we could take a gun, in many a strife we've fought for life. The choice is made clear. You may join the Army to go to adventure training, or join the Navy to go to Bangkok, or join the Air Force to go to computer school. You join the Marines to go to war.
:marine:

davblay
03-14-07, 02:50 PM
Semper Fi