PDA

View Full Version : Wartime Rifle Training Returns

thedrifter
03-11-07, 09:23 AM
Wartime Rifle Training Returns
by James Dunnigan
March 11, 2007

As has happened several times in the past century, combat experience has caused rifle training to get more realistic. It works like this. In peacetime, there's a tendency for marksmanship training to become rather sterile, with troops graded on their ability to hit obvious targets (often the traditional bull's-eye) at specific distances. When a war comes along, and a lot of people realize that you don't shoot at obvious targets, at known distances, in combat, the rifle training and testing tends to change. It becomes more realistic. So the U.S. Marine Corps has changed its rifle qualification procedures. Marines will now wear combat gear, and fire at the kind of unexpected targets they would encounter in combat. There's still some of the old "known distance" firing, but the "combat firing" performance counts a lot more towards your qualification score. If you cannot demonstrate a certain degree of accuracy firing a rifle, at annual "qualifications," you can no longer be a marine. The army has a similar program, but in the navy and air force, only troops in jobs that require the use of small arms, are rules like this imposed.

Ellie

The1stSgt
03-11-07, 11:37 AM
We perform in conflict as we are trained to perform.

I'm very pleased to hear the Corps' rifle training in a more realistic to combat.

I was trained and qualified on the old "A" and "KD" courses. Both courses had it's targets set at known distances and were of known sizes. I would loved to have received marksmanship training as mention above.

SkilletsUSMC
03-11-07, 11:53 AM
I just did this course of fire last week. I came in thinking it was going to be kinda stupid, but It was actually pretty good, and alot easier to score than fiield fire has been in the past. For the avarage grunt, its going to be no sweat, because its nearly identical to the weapons presentation drills and ranges we are accoustomed to. Changing magazines and re engaging targets was the most valuable drill performed in my eyes. For those who Dont get as much time behind the trigger it was VERY good.

To be honest I think this type of range time should be separate from the KD range and be manditory for all Non-combat arms Marines at least once a quarter.

cwood
03-11-07, 02:21 PM
I worked on range 214 across from hrono for 7 mouth before EAS. We were in the first phase of this change. I thick it has gone threw alot of revisions since then. This was back in late 94. We used the hasty sling. and some different positions. Everybody hated it because it was change and nobody likes change. So much for Semper gumbee