PDA

View Full Version : A Marine's Love for America and Baseball

thedrifter
03-10-07, 09:14 AM
A Soldier's Love for America and Baseball
By Wes Rickards
CBN News
March 10, 2007

CBNNews.com -- Throughout Cooper Brannan's life, baseball has been a source of comfort.

But that comfort wasn't enough to keep him on the diamond after graduating high school.

His main commitment was to his country, and that's why he enlisted in the Marines.

Even in the middle of a war, his love for baseball never left him.

"We had our parents send our gloves over to Iraq. On our off time, you know, in between patrols on base, we'd throw the ball around whenever we could."

Armed with a 93-mile-per-hour fastball and a pretty good curve, Brannan pitched for the All-Marine Corps team.

On November 2005, it almost all came to an end.

Leading his squad in Fallujah, he noticed one of his men needed a grenade.

"I reached back on the left side of my flack. I had an extra one. And as I handed it to him, it just went off in my hand."

While drifting in and out of consciousness, he though he lost his hand.

"Well, the medial part and the pinky, little finger, were blown off and had to be amputated to the bottom of the bone. The thumb was sewn back on, if you can see the scars. And also, the ring finger was sewed back on."

The rehab was tough and he underwent multiple follow-up surgeries.

During his recovery in San Diego, Brannan rekindled his love for baseball as friends encouraged him to get back on the mound.

"At first, I was a little down in the dumps, and then I came out of it, seeing other Marines had 10-times worse injuries than me. And I just looked at myself and I said 'I have nothing to complain about... God's blessed me with still having a hand.'"

Then one day came a chance to meet with the CEO of the San Diego Padres, Sandy Alderson -- himself a former Marine.

"He's got some ability. I think it's important to remember that this is about baseball first and foremost. He's got as good a chance to make the big leagues as most of the players that we draft every year," said the Padres' CEO about Brannan's ability.

The Padres liked what they saw.

Once Cooper got an offer, the Marines "ordered" him to play baseball. And soon, Brannan was trading one uniform for another.

"They say Marines don't cry, right? This is one of the biggest dreams of my whole life, you know?"

Brannan won't officially sign until May 31st -- the last day of his Marines commitment.

The Padres insist that this isn't a publicity stunt, but Brannan doesn't mind if his story is used as encouragement for his fellow Marines.

"I hope they can look at this situation and say, 'Hey, look at that guy. He got wounded. He got hurt. And he pushed forward, and he came out of it strong. If he can do it, why can't I?'"

Ellie