PDA

View Full Version : For the Poolees..............

Marine84
03-10-07, 08:09 AM
Here's a little something somebody sent me the other day to show ya'll the difference in the times. I know some of us older ones in here can TOTALLY relate! <br />
<br />
See What 50 Years Will Do <br />

vision836
03-10-07, 08:23 AM
This is so true. I wish life could be that way again.

Achped
03-10-07, 10:59 AM
While that's scary...what is it going to be like in 2056? <br />
<br />
Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4&lt;sup&gt;th&lt;/sup&gt; of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up...

Marine84
03-10-07, 12:57 PM
HAHAHAHA - you got a point Achped

USMC90
03-10-07, 02:18 PM
In a way this is funny, but then it's not because theres a whole lot of truth to it.

WanderWannabe
03-10-07, 02:37 PM
Well, as long as we're looking at the past...

Scenario: Johnny is a black man.
1956: Johnny is not allowed to hold a job, go to college and is eventually killed by a truck full of white teenagers looking for fun on a Friday night.
2006: Johnny goes to college, then works his way up to the CEO of a music label, hiring white teenagers to scrub the toilets.

USMC90
03-10-07, 03:19 PM

1956: Johnny is not allowed to hold a job, go to college and is eventually killed by a truck full of white teenagers looking for fun on a Friday night.
2006: Johnny goes to college, then works his way up to the CEO of a music label, hiring white teenagers to scrub the toilets.

Hahaha! That's a good one.

HLeyb
03-10-07, 05:29 PM
Funny stuff, but in a way it makes me wish I was born 50 years earlier.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-10-07, 05:59 PM
There were racial problems in the 50s, but even here in Oklahoma there was no barrier to any minority attending college by this time frame. And this in a state where the first ever law (SB 1 1907) was to racially segregate rail cars.

LaResistance
03-10-07, 06:07 PM
Haha, funny although some of the 2006 stuff is exaggerated.

davecerami275
03-10-07, 09:18 PM
scenario: kids playing football

75-84,,, kids get on their bikes,,, ride around town,, get all their friends and go to open field, choose teams and play tackle football all afternoon long. plenty of running, tackling, blocking, passing etc. occasionally someone leaves with a bloody nose or broken bone. all players shake hands and set a time for the next game. kids get back on their bikes and ride home.

today: kids call or text each other and make arrangments to meet at johnnys house, he has the big screen tv. all the kids are dropped off at johnnys house in moms SUV. kids go in johnnys and play football on x-box or play station. johnnies mom orders pizza and cokes, plenty of candy on hand for the big game. kids sit in front of the tv all day long playing football on tv. when game is over all the kids call mom to be picked up. on the way home the kids wonder why they can not run 100yds without stopping to rest

slowrider
03-10-07, 09:55 PM
scenario: kids playing football

75-84,,, kids get on their bikes,,, ride around town,, get all their friends and go to open field, choose teams and play tackle football all afternoon long. plenty of running, tackling, blocking, passing etc. occasionally someone leaves with a bloody nose or broken bone. all players shake hands and set a time for the next game. kids get back on their bikes and ride home.

today: kids call or text each other and make arrangments to meet at johnnys house, he has the big screen tv. all the kids are dropped off at johnnys house in moms SUV. kids go in johnnys and play football on x-box or play station. johnnies mom orders pizza and cokes, plenty of candy on hand for the big game. kids sit in front of the tv all day long playing football on tv. when game is over all the kids call mom to be picked up. on the way home the kids wonder why they can not run 100yds without stopping to rest

LMFAO, boy aint that the friggin truth

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-11-07, 01:27 AM
The sad thing is that it didn't end in 84, it just stopped being something that the younger people did. It was just about two weeks ago that we had a pick up football game with some friends. Most of us have been playing pick up football with each other since the 80s.

Sure does take longer to heal after a game now- but much more fun than playing Madden on the playstation.

USMC90
03-11-07, 01:47 AM
I don't know about down there in the US but in the summer me and all of my friends do just that, make teams and play some kick ass football all day long. I do play Xbox no doubt about that but football is only fun on the field in real life, not on some compact disk in a gaming console.

Marine84
03-11-07, 08:08 AM
Do any of you younger ones know what an album is? You know, the big plastic thing you put on a turntable and music comes off of it? A couple of years ago a friend of mine pulled out some old ones to let his (then) 18 year old listen to some of the stuff he did. She was AMAZED that it worked the way it did! It was funny as hell!

ggyoung
03-11-07, 02:41 PM
Marine84 I remember the 45rpms very well. One song on each side.

Marine84
03-11-07, 03:02 PM
YES! I had tons of them!

PatriotGirl422
03-11-07, 03:52 PM
Even though I'm only 18 and I never lived through the "good old days" I still get nostalgic about them. I wish that everytime someone messed up or got hurt there didn't have to be an investigation or a lawsuit. I wish that people would just get over things. I wish that everything wasn't a medical condition. I wish that kids weren't fat and lazy. And I really wish that everyone wasn't so worried about hurting people's feelings.

HLeyb
03-11-07, 03:55 PM
Even though I'm only 18 and I never lived through the "good old days" I still get nostalgic about them. I wish that everytime someone messed up or got hurt there didn't have to be an investigation or a lawsuit. I wish that people would just get over things. I wish that everything wasn't a medical condition. I wish that kids weren't fat and lazy. And I really wish that everyone wasn't so worried about hurting people's feelings.

That is politcally incorrect, prepare for further investigation.

:D

Marine84
03-11-07, 05:31 PM

OMG! An 18 year old that's not PC?????

PatriotGirl422
03-11-07, 05:50 PM
OMG! An 18 year old that's not PC?????

I hate political correctness. I know that it's odd for someone my age to be so conservative, and I have few allies considering I go to COLLEGE in BALTIMORE.

HLeyb
03-11-07, 06:06 PM
Don't let those Maryland libs get you down.

You've got all the support you'll need right here. Marines and future Marines.

Ceya
03-11-07, 06:10 PM
Marine84 I remember the 45rpms very well. One song on each side.

Remember the small plastic piece that goes in the center.

We used to throw them all over the house. Got butt kicked later but fun.

S/F,
CEYA!

DanBoone
03-11-07, 07:01 PM
Teens need to fight things out again it always solved things. This talking things out crap doesnt work. Schools do not need police patrolling in them. They need to bring corporal punishment and enforce it big time.

My .02

USMC90
03-11-07, 07:19 PM

I agree with you 100% with that and pretty much everything else. Whatever happened to the days when someone calls you something you don't like you just fight it out? Now someone calls you a "name" it's freakin' water works and police on the scene.... some people just need to harden the F up.

That's my worthless opinion. :banana:

DanBoone
03-11-07, 07:25 PM
I agree with you 100% with that and pretty much everything else. Whatever happened to the days when someone calls you something you don't like you just fight it out? Now someone calls you a "name" it's freakin' water works and police on the scene.... some people just need to harden the F up.

qft

(quote for truth)

CJA
03-11-07, 07:55 PM
I'm definitely not politically correct.. problem is, most teens don't even know WTF political correctness even is!

davecerami275
03-11-07, 07:58 PM
Do any of you younger ones know what an album is? You know, the big plastic thing you put on a turntable and music comes off of it? A couple of years ago a friend of mine pulled out some old ones to let his (then) 18 year old listen to some of the stuff he did. She was AMAZED that it worked the way it did! It was funny as hell!

dam 84,,, showing your age. i remember my first truck, it had the good ole AM/FM radio with a 8 track.

Integrity57
03-11-07, 08:26 PM

Hell, you can't fight it out any more b/c the guy that gets his ass kicked will probably go get a gun or knife and kill the other guy, then his lawyers will probably say he has some sort of mental problem for god knows what reason, when really all it is, is a pathetic inferiority complex.

USMC90
03-11-07, 08:37 PM
Hell, you can't fight it out any more b/c the guy that gets his ass kicked will probably go get a gun or knife and kill the other guy, then his lawyers will probably say he has some sort of mental problem for god knows what reason, when really all it is, is a pathetic inferiority complex.

I especially hate those guys who can't admit defeat so they run along and get their "people" to kick you're ass. Just accept the fact that you got the beat and move on.. Christ. Being in grade 10 theres PLENTY of these wannabe gangster white boys who try and pull that BS.

DanBoone
03-11-07, 08:40 PM
Ive had my share of beatings. One I REALLY deserved but I also jacked the other guy up in the process. I learned my lesson with fooling with other guys women.

TheBiggness
03-11-07, 10:45 PM
Alot of it depends on where you live, I lived out in the country and lived in a big town

hell when I was a kid we always found new ways to get hurt. Like racing bikes down steap gravel roads. My favorite was sitting in a red flyer wagon and seeing if you could ride it all the way down a big hill without flipping it. If you got scraped up you either ignored it and kept having fun or went home to clean it and came back to play.

Then when my parent's got divorced, we moved to to Bloomington. It's about half the size of Indianapolis. Well one day me and some friends got some blocks and some plywood and made a ramp at the end of the parking lot. We got on our bikes and had great time, then one kid comes up and asked if he could ramp with us. He went to the other end and got some speed and hit the ramp. Well he didn't pull up on his handle bars and his front tire hit the ground and flipped him. he got scraped up and went crying home. Later 2 cop cars show up and had us give a statemet about what happened, who's idea it was and why we hurt this kid.:scared:
The kid's mom actualy took him to the hospital for them to probably splash some rubbing alcahol on him and send him home, and she tried to get our parents to pay for the visit.

USMC90
03-11-07, 10:52 PM
Alot of it depends on where you live, I lived out in the country and lived in a big town

hell when I was a kid we always found new ways to get hurt. Like racing bikes down steap gravel roads. My favorite was sitting in a red flyer wagon and seeing if you could ride it all the way down a big hill without flipping it. If you got scraped up you either ignored it and kept having fun or went home to clean it and came back to play.

Then when my parent's got divorced, we moved to to Bloomington. It's about half the size of Indianapolis. Well one day me and some friends got some blocks and some plywood and made a ramp at the end of the parking lot. We got on our bikes and had great time, then one kid comes up and asked if he could ramp with us. He went to the other end and got some speed and hit the ramp. Well he didn't pull up on his handle bars and his front tire hit the ground and flipped him. he got scraped up and went crying home. Later 2 cop cars show up and had us give a statemet about what happened, who's idea it was and why we hurt this kid.:scared:
The kid's mom actualy took him to the hospital for them to probably splash some rubbing alcahol on him and send him home, and she tried to get our parents to pay for the visit.

He literally ASKED for it! What's his problem? Maybe he didn't want to get in trouble with his parents so he blamed it on you guys. That's why you video tape everything. :bunny:

davecerami275
03-12-07, 09:36 AM
Sure does take longer to heal after a game now- but much more fun than playing Madden on the playstation.[/quote]

aint that the truth,,, i have enough knee braces, back braces, ace bandages, icy-hot, ice packs, heating pads etc, in my bathroom to open a medical supply store. 41 and still going,,, hurts like he!!,, but still going

davecerami275
03-12-07, 05:08 PM

whats up with that chevron on your avitar,,,, Private First Class is a rank in the Marine Corps,, if you have not earned the title Marine,, then you do not rate to display a chevron.

WanderWannabe
03-12-07, 05:10 PM
I am a PFC. The name was registered before I went to boot camp.

davecerami275
03-12-07, 07:40 PM
I am a PFC. The name was registered before I went to boot camp.

cool,,, my bad

RuffNight2007
03-12-07, 08:46 PM
I'm definitely not politically correct.. problem is, most teens don't even know WTF political correctness even is!
5 bucks says you googled "what is political correctness" just to find out wtf it means. :banana:

RuffNight2007
03-12-07, 08:51 PM
5 bucks says you googled "what is political correctness" just to find out wtf it means. :banana:

Oh... and yes, I take checks... though I prefer paypal :yes:

davecerami275
03-14-07, 08:57 AM
HEADLINES FROM THE YEAR: 2029

Ozone created by electric cars now killing millions in the seventh largest country in the world, Mexifornia, formerly known as California. White minorities still trying to have English recognized as Mexifornia's third language.

Baby conceived naturally. Scientists stumped.

Couple petitions court to reinstate heterosexual marriage.

Last remaining Fundamentalist Muslim dies in the AmericanTerritory of the Middle East (formerly known as Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Lebanon).

Iran still closed off; physicists estimate it will take at least 10 more years before radioactivity decreases to safe levels.

France pleads for global help after being taken over by Jamaica.

Castro finally dies at age 112; Cuban cigars can now be imported legally, but President Chelsea Clinton has banned all smoking.

George Z. Bush says he will run for President in 2036.

Postal Service raises price of first class stamp to $17.89 and reduces mail delivery to Wednesdays only.

85-year $75.8 billion study: Diet and Exercise are the key to weight loss.

Average weight of Americans drops to 250 lbs..

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed, they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

Massachusetts executes last remaining conservative.

Supreme Court rules punishment of criminals violates their civil rights.

Average height of NBA players is now nine feet, seven inches.

New federal law requires that all nail clippers, screwdrivers, fly swatters and rolled-up newspapers must be registered by January 2036.

Congress authorizes direct deposit of formerly illegal political contributions to campaign accounts.

IRS sets lowest tax rate at 75 percent.

Florida voters still having trouble with voting machines

HLeyb
03-14-07, 10:00 AM
heheh, that really had me laughing out loud.

great stuff.

TheBiggness
03-14-07, 11:11 AM
LOL! man I was in tears. Jamaica invading France :D

PatriotGirl422
03-14-07, 08:39 PM
Haha that was amazing. I'm glad to finally be in the company of people who think the same way as me.

semperfi170
03-15-07, 08:58 AM
dam 84,,, showing your age. i remember my first truck, it had the good ole AM/FM radio with a 8 track.

You are showing your youth!!! 1st car had an AM radio only. There were some that came brand new with no carpeting and no radio. As for albums, my Mom & Dad had 78s, 16s, and some one sided records. Yeah, those little centers were all over the place.:D

semperfi170
03-15-07, 09:05 AM
Haha that was amazing. I'm glad to finally be in the company of people who think the same way as me.

:devious: PC is only something that can be abused or used as needed! The only thing I am concerned about is my integrity and not what somebody says is PC. My advice (its free) is to stick to your beliefs and only change them because it is the right thing to do for you. That doesn't mean being inflexible, just adaptable when it doesn't mess with your honor and integrity.

You have a great attitude and will accomplish what ever you set your mind to do.:marine:

osborned
03-15-07, 10:04 AM
Speaking of old technology, I dug through a bunch of boxes in my dad's garage looking for something and found a neatly-packed box with a laserdisc player and a bunch of movies, including the first laserdisc release of Flash Gordon! Whooooo!

Shame it doesn't work any more.

coplepk04
03-15-07, 10:07 AM
hilarious davecerami

literally laughing out loud.

Bullrider
03-15-07, 12:38 PM
Im glad so many people have the same thought process as I. Right now I live in a little liberal neighorhood, the only one in my town to. I am always being lectured and scoffed at because of my decision to join the elustrious Marine Corps. I am told daily by most of teachers that it is just a good way to die young, except for a Romanian who served in the Army SF and understands my decision. And on my personal website(myspace). It states clearly that I am all for aggresive dicipline( Forgive my spelling) but only to the point where the child understood their lesson. For example my little brother shot a neighor near his eye with a BB gun and I was given permission to spank him so I walked him home yelling such nice things and giving loving gestures and I spanked him in the garage because I was re-painting the house, but I forgot to close the door. So after he learned his lesson and I put his gun away the neighors came over and started to lecture me on how physical punishment is horrible for the childs self esteem and they threatened to call the police, yet there kid has never been hit is a little wigger and smoke weed all day(he is 10) so I abruptly told them to get bent and if they ever threatened me again I was going to show them physical punishment.

Maybe it was overboard but I was irate, yet my brother hasnt done it since. Sorry for the length

Wolfman07
03-15-07, 08:56 PM
Yesterday after school there was a fight at some kids house and like 20 people were there. Kid A insulted Kid B and told him he was gonna kick his a**. Kid A starts the fight and is going crazy on...

USMC90
03-15-07, 09:09 PM
Im glad so many people have the same thought process as I. Right now I live in a little liberal neighorhood, the only one in my town to. I am always being lectured and scoffed at because of my decision to join the elustrious Marine Corps. I am told daily by most of teachers that it is just a good way to die young, except for a Romanian who served in the Army SF and understands my decision. And on my personal website(myspace). It states clearly that I am all for aggresive dicipline( Forgive my spelling) but only to the point where the child understood their lesson. For example my little brother shot a neighor near his eye with a BB gun and I was given permission to spank him so I walked him home yelling such nice things and giving loving gestures and I spanked him in the garage because I was re-painting the house, but I forgot to close the door. So after he learned his lesson and I put his gun away the neighors came over and started to lecture me on how physical punishment is horrible for the childs self esteem and they threatened to call the police, yet there kid has never been hit is a little wigger and smoke weed all day(he is 10) so I abruptly told them to get bent and if they ever threatened me again I was going to show them physical punishment.

Maybe it was overboard but I was irate, yet my brother hasnt done it since. Sorry for the length

Man that was awesome! :banana:

snowman293
03-16-07, 10:16 AM
Very often in life people, especially parents, talk about how important the future is. How it’s extremely important it is to get an education so you can get a good job and lead a happy life. Well, what if being happy means not going to school? All teachers and parents keep stressing the point that we need to be smart to be happy, and if wasting 12 years or more in school is what it takes then we’ll do it. But what if somebody can be happy by being “dumb” or “unintelligent” by our standards? Just because a person can’t read a book or multiply 4*8 we look down upon them as being inferior and take pity. Why? I suspect it has something to do with today’s unbelievably annoying social standards. Everybody is obsessed with being the best in some way. Say you work 60 hours a week for your entire life. You make tons of money but never get married or have children and you’re an only child so you cant pass the money on to siblings. Where does it all go when you die, in the casket with you? What good will it do there? Absolutely none. My point is why work your life away for something that will do you no good when you die. Next situation, say you work out in the gym as much as possible. Before you get angry let me elaborate, I’m talking about the people who spend every moment possible there. Now, there is nothing wrong with being healthy but why be obsessed with having the perfect body. Why waste pointless hours working out when other things could be accomplished? I’m not saying to not work out though, there is nothing wrong with it but do it in moderation, maybe an hour or two a day. Take a look back at the 40’s and 50’s, not much fatty foods, crime was down, and nobody cared if you could run a mile in 6 min. or fit into those size 4 jeans. Life in all aspects was simpler. Everyone went to work around 8 or 9 a.m. and was usually home by 5 p.m. nobody cared about making millions; they just cared about raising a happy and healthy family. Kids didn’t worry about working 40 hours a week and still going to school. They didn’t have to worry about going to school and being shot or having “bomb threats.” In sports, they played to have fun and nobody worried about whether or not the loser’s feelings would be hurt. You didn’t cry or have low self-esteem, you just dusted yourself off and offered a rematch. All I’ve ever known is over-hyped standards, too much emphasis on image, and not enough of the way things used to be. I miss the old days and I wasn’t even alive for them.

TheBiggness
03-16-07, 10:47 AM
Here's another small town moment.
Since the highschool has nothing to spent money on after basketball, we had police dogs go through the parking lot and the school once a week. Well they smelled cigarettes in one of my friends car, so they proceded to go through it.
Well these two cops find a one pound bag of white powder.:scared: Well before long the princepal and half the school staff show up at his car. The princepal is beat red, and is both angry and embarasses. And the teachers all start the gossip thinking they know whats going on. Saying my friend is a bad kid and they knew this was gonna happen. So one of the cops pull him out of class, walk him to his car and start asking him questions. The whole time he has a big grin on his face, and draging out the questioning.
Well come to find out it was a bag of gravy mix he took from work at Dairy Queen

TheBiggness
03-16-07, 11:11 AM

Yeah it's not your place to disciplin your siblings. Your parents should be doing that. Now he is gonna see you screw up and get away with things, while your whipping him when he screws up. He'll lose respect for you and fear just being around you if you keep it up.
I used to think since my parents got divorced when i was younger that I had some authority over my little brother, And I yelled at him when he screwd up.
now he is 13 and and makes my life hell. But I asked for it from yelling at him like that.

Bullrider
03-17-07, 03:49 PM
Yeah it's not your place to disciplin your siblings. Your parents should be doing that. Now he is gonna see you screw up and get away with things, while your whipping him when he screws up. He'll lose respect for you and fear just being around you if you keep it up.
I used to think since my parents got divorced when i was younger that I had some authority over my little brother, And I yelled at him when he screwd up.
now he is 13 and and makes my life hell. But I asked for it from yelling at him like that.

I understand where your coming from with that. I only whipped him once because my mom had surgery and my dad was away at work for the following two days. And believe me when I screw up I get my punishments. Other than that though we get along just fine, were like best buds. Were always playing soccer together, and I just got him into basketball(hes too small for rugby). But yes I know it was overboard, and yes I acknowledge that its not my place to carry out disciplinary orders but it had to be done. And I havent carried it out since, and I never really yell at him except for when he screws up beyond normal boundaries.

TheBiggness
03-18-07, 11:58 AM
Well aleast you guys get along lol.
You didn't have to explain your self, I was just telling you what I figured out.