PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard captain speaks about experience in Middle East

thedrifter
03-10-07, 07:28 AM
Coast Guard captain speaks about experience in Middle East
WAVY 10

A local woman is the captain of one of six Coast Guard cutters deployed in the Middle East.

The crew on board is protecting oil platforms in the North Arabian Gulf, a job they say will ensure Iraq has a future and can stand independently.

An oil platform is a massive structure that appears to be floating in the water. It's used to house workers and machinery needed to drill and then produce oil.

Two of these terminals produce more than 80% of Iraq's revenue, money the country needs to rebuild itself.

It is important to keep these oil platforms safe.

"What we're here to do is make sure Iraq has a future and that they'll be able to stand on their own two feet eventually," said Lieutenant Kate Higgins.

Higgins is the captain of one of six Coast Guard cutters deployed to the Middle East. She works with a crew of 22 people from the Coast Guard and the Navy.

By day and night they deflect anyone and anything deemed dangerous from the oil terminals. It's a job that keeps them on their toes.

"This is where our Coast Guard skills really come into play, because back in the states we're used to jumping over the gunnel and you don't know if you're boarding a wanted criminal or somebody on vacation," said Higgins.

This crew is also training Iraqis to do the job once they leave.

"We have seen marked improvement. I've been here for a little over ten months and I can already say the Iraqi Marines have made huge improvements in their boarding techniques and their practices," said Higgins.

The crew is scheduled for a 12 month deployment. Higgins said outside of late night talks on watch and pulling into port, they pay very little attention to debate in the U.S. about when troops should withdraw.

"We're very absorbed by the work at hand right now," said Higgins.

She also said that while the mission comes first, bringing her crew home safely comes above all else.

"We are taking care of each other out here. We have a job to do but we are family so we are taking care of each other. All 22 of my guys are coming home safe," pledged Higgins.

Ellie