PDA

View Full Version : Platoon Size/ Time of Year

Christ0ph
03-09-07, 03:55 PM
Are platoons at MCRD actually smaller during some months? A Marine told me that around the time school gets out, they can be packed with fresh high school grads. I might be leaving April 2nd if I can get my college transcript in time, wondering what that time of the year is like. I'm guessing a smaller platoon means more attention to each recruit :evilgrin:

killerinstinct
03-09-07, 04:04 PM
i dont think it matters to be honest... and last thing on your mind will be that normally you stary with 89 or so and it ends up being 33 upon graduation... My DI's always said their goal was to weed all the ****ers who dont belong in their Corps OUT... So yup there ya go

rktect3j
03-09-07, 04:50 PM
I started in platoon 3025 in early april. We had about 80 recruits in each platoon. I got dropped for two sprained ankles and waited in mrp and pcp for a month. My new platoon 3033, which would have started early may, graduated 38 Marines.

I don't know if that helps.

Achped
03-09-07, 05:09 PM
I thought Drill Instructors were only allowed to drop 15% of their recruits? Maybe that's only the "non-hackers" and doesn't include drops due to injuries or the people who attempt suicide/crazy folks.

Thats pretty astonishing, from what I'd read I'd assumed like 90 arrived on the bus, and about 70 graduated.

No wonder its the Few! I'm actually quite relieved to see that its not as softened up as books and TV have said it was!

Christ0ph
03-09-07, 05:38 PM
The way my Recruiter put it, "You gotta give up on yourself first before they give up on you"

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-09-07, 05:43 PM
I went in Feb. and we had about 50 to start. I spent a month in MRP- and the platoon I went to had about 40- graduated 29 including two we picked up two days before graduation.

Achped, DI's can drop the entire platoon if they want to. It doesn't look good for them when large numbers drop, but if they need to be kicked they'll get kicked.

1stRad2671
03-09-07, 08:37 PM
Commenced training on September 9. My plt graduated with 72, the others in the series had 71 and 76.

Allen870922
03-09-07, 09:54 PM
When I was in Echo from June to July we had 80 some in my platoon. Right before I got dropped 31 TD's later we were maxed out at 93. When I was in Golf from September to October we had 87. By the end of October I saw some new companies picking up and they had around 40 some recruits. Summer months are always the busiest times with the number of recruits coming in.

Oh and 3rd Bn seems to be the best battalion for breaking people off. Especially India and Lima. We had a lot of them in MRP.

Robert Lynch
03-09-07, 10:06 PM
IN 1974 all the platoons started out with around 80 or so and 65 graduated. it doesn't matter when you go, you're STILL gonna have loads of fun!!!!

slowrider
03-09-07, 11:15 PM
When I went to MCRD in September,1983 - You were with transit until there were enough recruits to form a Bat.Then you were picked up by DI's.Took about 5 days.Each Platoon had 80 ppl in it.Although I only had 38 on Grad day.

Christ0ph
03-10-07, 10:00 AM
When your platoon graduates far fewer than when you started, could that also be because a lot of recruits were recycled and delayed in graduating?

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-10-07, 12:11 PM
Yes. Most people don't just get sent home. They go to MRP/PCP/STP and try to get their problems resolved. If they do, they'll go on to graduate with another company. If they do not, they'll end up going home bald.

Allen870922
03-10-07, 12:59 PM
When your platoon graduates far fewer than when you started, could that also be because a lot of recruits were recycled and delayed in graduating?

People break stuff, aren't physically up to standards, get sick with phnemonia or bad case of cellulites, or some people go insane and refuse to train anymore. Or there is also the Fradulent enlistments that they find out later on in training that get dropped. If you're fortunate enough not to be dropped for any reason then you'll see that your platoon won't have all the same people that you came on that bus with.

And Echo_Four_Bravo, that is so true. I came home bald. But I like my hair short so it didn't bother me at all. :)

Marine84
03-10-07, 01:05 PM
I just figured out that THAT'S why the DIs were so mad - they get sooooo many boneheads come in on the bus and they have to weed out 20 or 30 something of them.

My platoon had one that made it alllllllllllllllllllll the way to graduation day and they yanked her. I'm glad it wasn't me cause I know how I would have felt to make it that far and then something came out of my past to bite me in the butt and kept me from getting that emblem. Another reason why all of ya'll should tell every little stupid thing that has happened in your past prior to the Corps. You never know..........................