PDA

View Full Version : Marine returns home to Faifield

thedrifter
03-09-07, 08:03 AM
Marine returns home to Faifield
By Michael D. Pitman
Staff Writer

Thursday, March 08, 2007

When Michael Greer told his mother he wanted to join the Marines, she tried to talk him into joining the Air Force.

Denise Anderson of Fairfield knew firsthand how hard her son would have it, being the daughter of a Marine and sibling to another. Anderson had another brother join the Air Force, and thought it would be a less dangerous road to travel for her son.

"I know how hard it was. I knew it was rough," Anderson said. "They have to work hard and they have to do without and be right in the midst of all the action. It's pretty scary for a mom."

Lance Cpl. Greer, 20, is home on a three-week leave. He returned to Fairfield after a seven-month deployment in Iraq with his unit, the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines, Kilo Company, based at Camp LeJuene, N.C.

"I was proud of him. I was proud that he was doing something to help our country and ensuring our freedom, and helping the Iraqi people," Anderson said. "And I was scared to death at the same time."

Greer joined the infantry, but was trained to be an assaultman, which has a few more added responsibilities than regular infantry.

He was stationed at a forward operating base, which was an abandoned Iraqi home between Fallujah and Ramadi in the Al Anbar Province. Greer said his unit did everything the regular infantry did, but they also carried a small rocket launcher with two rockets and 20 pounds of C-4 explosive.

His unit ran patrols, stopping people from setting improvised explosive devices and transporting weapons and caches of weapons.

"We were like the police of the area, stopping people from doing anything wrong and trying to catch the bad guys," Greer said.

This was one of the reasons he wanted to join the military. He remembers growing up, playing cops and robbers,

and dreaming of being in the military.

"The reason I wanted to join the Marines, because obviously it was the toughest, and my grandfather and uncle were in it. I think it was family pressure," Greer said.

The seven months went by fast for Greer.

"You're never not doing something. There were times when you only got two or three hours of sleep a night," he said.

"I couldn't tell you what I did the day before, I'd be listing things I did the whole week before. Things kind of blurred together."

The time went slower for Anderson, who received emotional support from her Yellow Ribbon Support Group at DaySprings Church of God in Forest Park.

"From what I hear, they say that the first one's kind of easier to deal with emotionally," Anderson said. "The more deployments they have, the harder it gets on the parents because, I guess, after talking with them and finding out everything they go through, you have more knowledge."

But she may need that group, along with her friends and family when Greer has to return to Iraq in September for a 10-month deployment, and possible third deployment scheduled for October 2008.

This year Greer missed his birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. He will miss all that again.
Sponsored links

Ellie