PDA

View Full Version : Supporting our troops, begins here

Sparrowhawk
02-19-03, 07:28 AM
If we have to go at this war alone, we must convey to our troops, those in harms way how much we appreciate and support them.

I am begining a campaign challenge to all web sites on the Internet to begin a yellow ribbon campaign, by placing one on their web site in support of our troops in harms way.

I haven't thought much about it yet; perhaps someone here can come up with a nice ribbon in gif style to begin this project.

I'll place it on my web sites and perhaps send it out with my email messages. Perhaps a reminder of 911 and what this is really all about.

Our troops need to realize that America supports them. We cannot allow anti-war demonstrators to affect them as they did our troops during the Vietnam War.

http://lang.dailybulletin.com/opinions/cartoon/archive/0203/18/gordon450.gif

thedrifter
02-19-03, 07:40 AM
Cook I think it is a great idea.........I 'm just not a artist......

So we will have to ask our members to help come up with a design..........

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
02-19-03, 08:31 AM
http://www.newsmax.com/images/headlines/SupportTroops.jpg

San Diego: Jennifer Shelton, married to a Marine in Kuwait, clashes with appeasement activists.

sendinghome
02-19-03, 04:05 PM
FACING THE NIGHT

Is there anything else he could have done? Are there any books he could have read, courses he could have studied, training he could have taken?

Could he have demanded more of his men, pushed them harder, taught them more?

Could he do anything else right this minute? Recheck the ammo, say more words of encouragement, make sure the orders are clear one more time?

His thoughts raced through the checklists, the myriad of details that he had discussed with his troops since the orders had come down, the last minute things he had rehearsed so many countless times.

No, he couldn’t think of anything else. As twilight became a black night without moon or stars, he knew they were as ready as they could be. All the training, all the preparation. Now he had but to rely on his troops and his felt good in his gut – where it counts in such a situation – felt solid in that reliance – they were ready and they would do the job. It was a good feeling.

All through the world American junior officers and NCO's stand at the gate. Even now as we prepare yet again to stand in the gap for the free nations of the world, it is those men and women and those they lead that bear the burden of the night.

On front lines in foxholes, on bridges of ships, in squadron rooms and in armored vehicles standing at the ready, these men and women are the tip of a mighty sword. It is they that will feel the first clash of steel and they that will sound the call from the walls if it is needed.

As we rest comfortably, let us remember those that are facing the night. Let them never doubt our support; let them ever know our appreciation. And let us never cease to pray that as dawn comes, they will have faced the night without having paid the price that has so often before been called for from those who willingly and for us --- face the night.

Dedicated to 2LtJosh Glover, USMC and all those who serve……

thedrifter
02-19-03, 04:10 PM
Thanks for sharing.....Your work???

Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........Get a chance stop over at the Slope Chute, Gary and I will buy you a few drinks........But watch out for Chesty.......likes his beer, only dog I found could open a beer can........LOL

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Sempers,

Roger

Super Dave
02-19-03, 04:13 PM
No matter what anyone's opinion on the possibility of war. It should not affect the support of the troops. I know that I'm preaching to the choir in here, but just needed to be said. I have "adopted" a Marine that is part of my old unit 3/4. His mom posted something in the Guest Book on the 3/4 web site. I emailed her and got his address. My 1st care package goes out this weekend. Will be sending enough to take care of him and his buddies in his platoon. His mom said.." I always knew that Marines were big on toughness -- I never knew
how big their hearts could be."
I told her..Marines stick together and take care of eachother.
Once a Marine..Always a Marine..

:marine:

sendinghome
02-19-03, 04:18 PM
Your yellow ribbon idea is stupendous -- let's get it going!!

sendinghome
02-19-03, 04:19 PM
yeh -- wrote it the night he shipped out -- forgive an emotional dad

sendinghome
02-19-03, 05:09 PM
This is a sample ribbon

thedrifter
02-19-03, 11:31 PM
http://www.military.com/pics/usmc1_021803.jpg
1st Sgt. Starlene Hamilton, MCCES Delta company, affixes a yellow ribbon to the welcome sign at the front gate of the Combat Center on Monday, Feb. 10. Yellow ribbons are traditionally displayed to show support for loved ones serving far from home. Photo by: Sgt. Jennie Haskamp

Yellow Ribbons a Tradition of Support
by Sgt. Jennie Haskamp
Marine Corps News
February 18, 2003

MCAGCC, Twentynine Palms, Calif. -- "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Around the Old Oak Tree" is an adage that dates back to the Civil War, and on Feb. 10, a group of Combat Center wives and members of the Twentynine Palms community did just that.

In a press release sent to the community, the Twentynine Palms Chamber of Commerce invited people to come out and show their support for their high-desert heroes as well as troops deployed from other parts of the country.

Armed with rolls of yellow ribbon and floral wire provided by Country Corners Flower Garden and Jan Peters, owner of Roughly Manor, two groups of women spent time making nearly 300 bows, while socializing and swapping stories about their husbands, most of whom are deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Olivia Brewster, whose husband is with 1st Combat Service Support Group, found out about the ribbon-tying project through an e-mail from a Key Volunteer.

"I came tonight because it was nice to be invited to something when I was off work," said Brewster, who brought along a friend from 23rd Dental Company. "I wear a yellow ribbon to work every day, and my dogs have yellow ribbons on their collars. We are all here for the same reason-to show we support our husbands and the rest of the military, and that we want them to return home safely."

Brewster joined wives from 3d Battalion, 7th Marines, 2d Battalion, 7th Marines, 23d Dental Battalion, 1st Tanks and 3d Battalion, 4th Marines as well as civilians who work aboard the Combat Center at Roughly Manor, to tie their share of yellow ribbons.

Earlier that day, a group of women tied ribbons and started hanging them up along Adobe Road and inside the main gate of the Combat Center. For the evening group, plans were made to hang their ribbons at a later date, after the impending rain passed.

"We'll break off into fire teams," said Sandy Clarke, wife of Sergeant Major Stephen Clarke, the Combat Center Sergeant Major. "Ok, not fire teams; groups, we'll break up into groups and hang the rest of the ribbons after the rain is gone."

Clarke, a former gunnery sergeant, came to show her support even though her own husband is not currently deployed.

"This is just a great chance for us wives to bond together and network," she said. "We are all in this together, and we just want to show our support for our Marines and Sailors."

According to the American Folklife Center, a yellow ribbon displayed is meant to show support for a loved one away from home. In 1979, after Americans were taken hostage by Iranian revolutionaries at the U.S. Embassy in Teheran, U.S. Ambassador Bruce Laingen's wife Penne tied a yellow ribbon around the oak tree in her front yard to wait for his return.

"I'm standing and waiting and praying, and one of these days, Bruce is going to untie that yellow ribbon. It will be out there until he does," she said in a Washington Post interview from Dec. 10, 1979.

The Persian Gulf Crisis in 1991 saw a resurgence of yellow ribbons in support of deployed U.S. Troops.

Erika Jennings and Aundrea Foskett are 2d Battalion, 7th Marines wives, and their situation is a bit different than most of the wives there.

"I got to see my husband for Christmas," she said, speaking of her trip to Okinawa, Japan. "Those of us with 2/7 get to have regular e-mail from our husbands, but it is still hard. I am here because I know what these ladies are going through. My husband has been gone for six months, and we don't know when he will come home."

Donna Cowdrey, wife of the Brig. Gen. Christian Cowdrey, Combat Center Commanding General, was pleased with the turnout.

"It was a tremendous success," she said. "What a wonderful opportunity for the spouses and community to show support for the Marines and Sailors, and show support for each other as well."

Jan Peters, owner of Roughly Manor and participant in the Operation Enduring Families program is planning future ribbon-tying events.

"I ordered 25 more rolls of yellow ribbon," said Peters, the wife of a retired Marine Corps lieutenant colonel. "I truly want the Marines and Sailors and their families to know how much we support them."

Peters hopes to get units from base to commit to removing and replacing the ribbons as they become worn or destroyed.

"My husband is a retired Marine," she said. "We still feel like we are a part of the military family, and we want all of the spouses to feel at home in our community."

The second batch of ribbons will be hung on Monday. Anyone wanting to participate is invited to meet at Roughly Manor at 3 p.m. More ribbon tying events will be planned in the future. Please call Jan Peters at 367-3238 for more details.

Sempers,

Roger

JChristin
02-20-03, 12:52 AM
I nominate Jennifer Shelton for woman of the Year!

She stood tall during the time of challenging and it appears, didn't loose her bearing. What courage. What a wonderful spouse.

semper fi
jchristin

Barndog
02-20-03, 04:59 AM
New anti-war demonstrator argument:

You pay taxes? Drive a car? Use Electricity? Buy food? Use a phone? Use the roads? Buy clothes? Get money for school through grants and scholarships? Use public transportation? Go to restruants? Purchase goods and services? Blood for oil? The Blood is on the hands of the demonstrators ALSO!!!!!!

(my point being here - the anti-war movement is not only based in hypocrisy - of which they proclaim the Government is participating in - yet they are participating in it ALSO!!!!)

MAKE THEM KNOW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help them find another country to live in if they hate this one so much.

Semper Fidelis

OOHHHHHHH RAHHHHHHHH

Jennifer Shelton has my vote