PDA

View Full Version : Soi

smjone4
03-08-07, 06:42 PM
I just graduated boot 2 weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone had any info or advice about what SOI is like. Is it similar to boot camp? Do they still scream at you or is it a little more laid back? Do you get liberty on nights/weekends or no? Any info about what SOI is like would be greatly appreciated.

SkilletsUSMC
03-08-07, 07:31 PM
First off Congradulations MARINE!

Second off, SOI is NOT boot camp, but it is still the Marine Corps. Yes you will get your ass chewed from time to time, but the "games" arent there in force anymore. I would say its not "laid-back" but "professional" They will speak to you like a Marine, not a recruit.

Honestly, receving at SOI was the worst part. It was like being in county jail. But fear not! Receving is only a week or two tops! Once you pick up with your training Company is where the fun begins. YES it is still hard, and the humps are longer and alot heavier, but you'll start to actually learn real tactical knowlege, AND get Weekend liberty! You will meet alot of friends, some of which will be with you until you finish your enlistment. One thing bootcamp does to people is make minutes seem like days. SOI does this same thing, but remember its not that long and soon you will be taking the next step to becoming the new "boot" in the fleet. Then you will have a whole new set of Pro and cons to weigh out.

The1stSgt
03-08-07, 07:40 PM
Congratulation on joining the ranks of "The Few, The Proud, The Marines".

jinelson
03-08-07, 07:52 PM
I want to hear how that baby of yours is doing son, I know the seperation has been tough for both of you.

OORAH!!! Semper Fi

Jim

smjone4
03-09-07, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the help. The games, liberty and the amount of tactical knowledge you learn is really what I was interested in. The baby is doing great. She is almost 10 months old now and refuses to sit still. When I left she couldn't crawl, now you can't take your eyes off her for a second or she's gone. The only time I really lost it during Family Day/Graduation was right after the EGA ceremony and I looked up in the stands and finally saw my wife. She was standing up clapping and had the baby sitting on her shoulders and she was clapping too. When they sounded liberty I was sprinting to them. Thank you again for the help.