PDA

View Full Version : Advancement...

Chevron77
03-08-07, 01:20 AM
From what I hear, it's hard to move up in the ranks in the Marines. If I join could I make a career out of the Marines?

YLDNDN6
03-08-07, 06:55 AM
Chevron,
Making rank in the Corps is not especially difficult. There are fields in which promotions come a little slower, however, it is all relative to what you put into the Corps. Other branches of the military, at least back when I was active, would promote based on test scores. The Corps promotes based on several areas. Your time in service, time in grade (rank), PFT score, and general overall evaluation scores play the major roles in promotion in the Corps. Also there is what is called the "needs of the Marine Corps" to consider. The Corps doesn't need thousands of un-billeted Sergeants, therefore, promotion above E-4 was, at the time, the most difficult jump to make. The Corps requires and expects a lot of the Non-Commissioned Officer, and does not just hand out stripes. The important thing to remember is that even without quickie promotions and fat bonus checks, the Corps is reward enough for outstanding effort and dedication. If you shine, you will be recognized for it. So, don't sweat the rise to fame. That is secondary to the mission of being an integral part of the most awesome combat force in the world.

USMCBOXER
03-08-07, 07:38 AM
From what I hear, it's hard to move up in the ranks in the Marines. If I join could I make a career out of the Marines?

You absolutely could make a career out of the Corps. Whoever you "heard" this info from is indeed incorrect. Take it from me....

By the way, you will get out of the Corps exactly what you put in to it...

jryanjack
03-08-07, 10:31 AM
From my experience, it really depends on the MOS - generally to LCpl it was pretty much automatic as long as you did your job and kept your nose clean you would be promoted. Cpl was a little hearder but not much. Sgt was hard, and for my MOS the SNCO ranks were very hard - the smaller the MOS the harder it is to get promoted. For example we only had 2 MGySgt's in the whole MOS, so to competition was tough for the higher SNCO ranks.