PDA

View Full Version : High Year of Tenure?

BunnerRabbit
03-07-07, 09:43 PM
High Year of Tenure

In short (for example), if an Marine Corps E-4 does not get promoted to E-5 by the time he/she has 8 years of military service, the member will be forced to separate.

Marine Corps (Active) HYT
E-4 - 8 years
E-5 - 13 years
E-6 - 20 years
E-7 - 24 years
E-8 - 26 years
E-9 - 30 years

Ok I am considering re-joining and I already have 5 years in. I have been out for 6 years and there is a good chance I will have to go back in as a E-3. Reason for me returning is to complete 20 years but according to this I will have to be a E-5 in 3 years or risk getting booted out. Chances of me making the rest of the cut off's are very limited. I would need to go from a E-3 to a E-6 in 8 years just to stay in. My MOS is VERY slow promoting atleast thats how it was 6 years ago.

erqn114
03-07-07, 09:47 PM
is there not a different MOS you could train into that has a more rapid promotion possibility.....

hump_drop
03-07-07, 09:53 PM
go talk to a recruiter. With your break in service, they might adjust your PEBD, thereby changing the number of "good" years, and alleviating that trouble.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-07-07, 11:12 PM
I would have to assume the scale is somehow modified for retreads. If not, everyone would face the same problems.

YLDNDN6
03-08-07, 07:38 AM
I got out in '87 as an E-3 in the 2600 field and in '91 when I checked into getting back in, I was offered the moon and the stars for re-upping. I would have gone back in as E-3 and would get E-4 (contractually) in 6 months, followed by E-5 at the 18 month mark, so long as I performed all required MCI's and peripheral training related to the rank. I injured myself around that time (blew out my left knee) so I didn't go back in, but I think that showed that the Corps will take care of someone who wants to go back in. I think you have a good chance of getting around the regs you showed us if you do go back in. Just my thoughts...

semperfi170
03-08-07, 08:25 AM
Find somebody in Admin or a 1stSgt. They either know the regulations or where to find the exact answers you are looking for.
By the way I have never addressed a Marine by their paygrade. One of our previous Commandants published a directive that (paraphrasing) Marines will only be addressed and referred to by their rank, paygrades only to be used for admin purposes. What brings that up is how may of our members refer to themselves by paygrade in their profiles.

killerinstinct
03-08-07, 09:20 AM
is there not a different MOS you could train into that has a more rapid promotion possibility.....

band member.

SSgt Ramsey
05-15-09, 08:58 AM
"High Year Tenure" is a term that is no longer used and has been replaced with ECFC's (Enlisted Career Force Control's).

Also, from reading the first post, these have also changed to:

E-4 - 8 years
E-5 - 13 years or twice passed
E-6 - 20 years
E-7 - 22 years or twice passed
E-8 - 27 years or twice passed
E-9 - 30 years

The "passed over" thing a lot of Marine's dont' understand correctly...the max service limit is just that, the maxim allowable time a Marine can hold that rank prior to promotion. If you are passed over for promotion twice, you must either submit for a seps-pay-determination (Cpl's and Sgt's) or request retirement via the Unit Diary system (GySgt and above excluding E-9).

As a general "rule", HQMC will NOT normally break these limits for any reason...not saying it hasn't or doesn't happen, but in 7+ years in being a Career Planner I never saw it once become approved regardless of rank or situation and circumstances.

I've actually seen a MSgt naturally EAS after failing to submit for FMCR in the mandatory time period and was not allowed to extend for retirement. He had to request a Congrit to get his retirement benefits, which he eventually got but it took several years. Retirement is a request and not automatic, and is governed by Title 10, USC as Federal Law.

Sgt4Life
11-01-09, 05:30 PM
Could you explain a little more about the limitations on the high year tenure?

I was demoted in 2004, & promoted again in 2005. I currently have over 11 years in right now. I have been passed over once in zone & once in above. Does that count as 2 or is it 2 once you reach the above zone? If it is the above zone & I am not selected next year, is that an automatic justification for a forced exit? My EAS will be @ the 13 year mark, but during the middle of the FY 2012 selection board. I'm still trying to grasp how all of this will come into play & no one I talk to seems to have all the info.

SSgt Ramsey
11-01-09, 05:46 PM
You've been officially passed over twice for promotion in the elibigible "zones", meaning the zone and above zone for your MOS and grade.

This is probably pretty much it as you have most likely a adverse fitrep for the reduction thus making you non-competitive against most of your peers.

You will be eligible for seps pay determination, but remember, you have to submit and request retention to receive this, it is not automatic. If you are not selected, they will deny your reenlistment request. HQMC will determine if you rate 0, half, or full seps pay determination in your response on your RELM and denial of further service.

Sgt4Life
11-01-09, 06:02 PM
Thanks, SSgt. That's pretty much what I figured.