PDA

View Full Version : Pull-up Technique

2DMARDIVDPACRES
03-07-07, 08:29 AM
Good morning marines, this is my first post. I have been looking for tips on improving pullups across the internet. It seems however that all I come across is which exercises to implement. I am more interested in regular vs. reverse grip, grip width, chin position, breathing and timing techniques.

I have seen marines use a very wide grip claiming this lead to a shorter traveling distance. Still, others say the wider the grip past shoulder distance, the more difficult. When I was 18 in NROTC, I used the regular grip, or palms outboard successfully. Since enlisting however I've reverted to a reverse grip. It has been said it's basically bicep strength vs. back strength. I've also heard the least helpful answer: keep doing pullups and use what works for you. That may be the more hard charging attitude but remember, smarter not harder. There has got to be a "best technique" just like there is a "proper" golf swing. Sure John Daly plays well the "wrong" way, but the average person should focus on the "proper" way before personalizing to such an extreme.

Any imput is appreciated, but please keep an constructive attitude.

LCpl Harris

thedrifter
03-07-07, 08:34 AM
The only pull-up technique I see around here from the Marines is in the bar..;) :D

Welcome Aboard Marine...

Someone should be able to help You, I hope...

Ellie

Chuck Lewis
03-07-07, 09:38 AM
Well you are probably not going to like my answer... But do more pull-ups.
My two fold justification is as follows...
First off, I never had any upper body strength. When I first entered boot camp, I did a whopping two (2) pull-ups on day 1... Actually I thought that was really good for me, but as you can imagine, it did not impress my DI's.. To make matters worse, two days later I could not even do one (1).
Every night I would sneek out to do pull-ups after lights out. But by the end of my eight (8) weeks I was able to do eighteen (18)!!! I was simply amazed. But it was from finding a way that worked for me! And of course nightly repetition.
Okay, so that methodology probably did not impress you, so here is a more scientific rationale for saying the same thing.
After getting out of the Corps. I became a competitive nationally ranked cyclist... We explored all kinds of avenues and techniques to be more efficient both physically and mentally on a bicycle... From the physical aspect, and this is going to apply to the legs instead of the arms but I still think that it is relavant, at the time it was thought that your saddle height should be 109% of your inseam length to give you the most efficient pedal stroke... They played with this idea for some time taking solid cyclists and changing the saddle height up and down.. measuring under various loads heart rate, VO2 max, blood pressure, blood chemistry, etc.
What they came to eventually find was that even though the 109% figure was an effective value, all of the cyclists under test would gradually hit their peaks again at different saddle heights because of the muscle memory rule... That is to say that a muscle will learn to become effective and efficient under most test conditions given time and a common sense approach and stay that way until the next change.
So, while I like experimentation and will encourage you to explore all possibilities, my ultimate response is that eventually you will find a position that your body will like the best and through repetition you will master the art of pull-ups!
Semper Fi

2DMARDIVDPACRES
03-07-07, 09:45 AM
Although I expected that answer would come up, for some reason it seemed to help. Thank you Mr. Lewis.

Chuck Lewis
03-07-07, 10:26 AM
You are welcome, Sir!
Best of luck to you!!
BTW as you become older, I have found that realing in fish is a great addition to building up the forearms and wrists while complimenting the overall strength of the arms, neck, shoulders, and lower back! This however does not do much for the legs... ;)
And welcome to the forum!

10thzodiac
03-07-07, 12:16 PM
Being 6'2" and #200's and to big for the sport of gymnastics that requires allot of pull-up techniques, I eventually got fairly good at it slowly compared to my smaller more agile peers.

Personally I always preferred forward grip (all of the time). Wide grip will strengthen you chest, but more than likely reduce the repetitions. I personally liked to do chin-ups behind the neck with a very wide grip.

Image: Animation of a behind-the-neck pull-up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BTNpullup.gif)
(Give picture time to load)

I blew allot of minds in boot camp when I'd use a false grip (gymnastics). forward-grip palms-hooked (no fingers grip) and when my chin was over the bar switch to my palms pushing straight down hard on the top of the bar until I elevated my body vertically over the bar, stopping at below hip level above bar. It is called a muscle-up, any gymnast can show you the false grip. If you build up your upper body by practicing long enough you can make it look like like a seemingly effortless fluid motion without signs of strain http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/11.gif

My DI took notice, but he could care less, even if I was Jesus Christ. All I got from him was because I had just pushed the envelope at the dessert table (forbidden) at the mess-hall, "I know a show off that almost just got his ****ing arm broken." That's boot camp for you...

Check out the condition I was in 1961 below, LOL, when I was able to do muscle-ups.

Image: Animation of a muscle-up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Muscle-up.gif)
(give picture time to load)

Muscle-up are performed by pulling up, but rather than stopping with the chin or chest touching the bar, the arms are straightened, raising the body above the bar. This involves pressing with the triceps muscles, pectorals and shoulders, and adds an opposing balance to pull-ups. This is good for giving the opposite muscles rest and equal development. Generally, the initial pull-up has more of an overhand grip, to make the switch easier. As the momentum of the pull-up has to be harnessed in switching the grip over the bar, it must be more explosive than a normal pull-up. Muscle-ups are done with pull-ups more often than chin-ups due to the wider placing of the arms which help stabilize the person from falling to the side at the top, as well as to stop them from flipping over.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/image.php?u=30296&dateline=1173289263&type=profile

capmarine
03-07-07, 07:42 PM
try the Armstrong pullup routine(google armstrong pullup routine)a Marine major came up with the 5 day routine.
i like to do lat pulldowns,helps with my pullups

2DMARDIVDPACRES
03-08-07, 07:15 AM
capmarine, that program sounds so good, i just recommended it to everyone in my section via email. Thank you!

capmarine
03-08-07, 01:48 PM
that muscle-up can be utilized too in your workouts