thedrifter
03-07-07, 07:37 AM
Wednesday, March 7, 2007
Protection and comfort wrapped up in a bandana
Jenny Sokol
Columnist
The Orange County Register
bjs92@adelphia.net

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1

Soldiers serving in combat zones want to wear clothing that protects them. Flak jackets and Kevlar helmets, certainly. But many of our soldiers are literally wrapping their heads with the biblical promises of God's protection.

Texas resident Jill Boyce is affectionately known as the Bandana Lady. Since 2003, Boyce has been distributing camouflage bandanas with Psalm 91 printed on them to deploying service members.

Soldiers facing danger have historically turned to Psalm 91 for comfort, drawing courage and reassurance in its words: "You shall not be afraid of the terror by night nor of the arrow that flies by day," and "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."

The idea for the bandanas came to Boyce six weeks before the war began in Iraq, and she believes it came straight from above.

"In a dream, I saw our troops cross over the border from Kuwait into Iraq. Many were being injured and killed as I watched." Startled awake, Boyce began to pray.

Though she wasn't familiar with Psalm 91 or affiliated with the military in any way, Boyce says that the next day, she "envisioned a military bandana with Psalm 91 printed on it. I felt God was giving me the idea to get it done and out to the troops."

Immediately, Boyce visited a local Army/Navy store, researched screen-printing and tracked down a chaplain stationed in Fort Hood, Texas. Using money from her income-tax return, Boyce printed 79 bandanas and drove three hours to Fort Hood, where she distributed them to troops scheduled to deploy the following day. The chaplain requested hundreds more.

Testimonials from soldiers began to trickle in from overseas: "Thank you for giving me something that wasn't bulky that I could keep with me to always keep God on my mind," wrote Sgt. Chuck Hreha.

Boyce began to raise money to meet demand and eventually began to sell the bandanas at wholesale to chaplains and retail to individuals. "It's been pretty hectic," says Boyce of the past four years. Currently, she personally receives and fills up to 25 orders a day and ships roughly 3,000 a month.

Chaplain Matthew Prince, set to deploy with Marine Battalion 3/7 next month, says, "I have taken my Psalm 91 bandana and put it in my Kevlar. It not only makes it more comfortable to wear but reminds me that not only does the rifle, my mind and fellow Marines protect me but God protects me."

And just how long will Boyce continue her bandana project? "Until they all come home. My goal is to get a bandana into the hands of every man and woman in the service who wants one."

To learn more about the Psalm 91 bandana, go to www.dreamci.com.

Contact the writer: bjs@adelphia.net

Ellie