PDA

View Full Version : White Oak council honors Marine for bravery

thedrifter
03-07-07, 07:06 AM
White Oak council honors Marine for bravery

By MAGGIE SOUZA

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

It was the day before Christmas and all through Iraq, Marines were working to prevent an attack.

At least, Cpl. Brad Walker was.

Walker and his squad were doing a sweep Dec. 24 in Saqlawiyah, Iraq, when he spotted a copper wire on the road. It would lead his patrol to two insurgents hiding in a nearby building, who were armed with the trigger, three fully wired explosive rounds and multiple sniper bullets.

Christmas morning, Walker was awarded a Certificate of Commendation for his role in the discovery, which saved life and limb of fellow Americans.

"It was kind of an everyday thing," Walker said Tuesday, hours before White Oak Mayor Tim Vaughn awarded him a Mayor's Achievement Award at the City Council meeting.

"We ran into (improvised explosive devices) all the time. It was just one of those deals," Walker explained. "It's kind of nerve-racking, I guess, but after awhile you get kind of used to it."

Walker, 22, joined the Marines during his senior year at White Oak High School. He was 18, deciding to serve instead of going to college after graduating in 2003.

"My first reaction was, 'Oh no you're not,'" said Paige Lakin, Walker's mother.

"We had already had him ready to go to college and had all those arrangements going, and it was just kind of a shocker," Lakin added. "We definitely had to take baby steps moving into that decision that it was OK in our hearts."

Vaughn gave Walker a few other tokens of appreciation at Tuesday's meeting: a framed letter from U.S. Sen. Louie Gohmert, a plaque from the senator and a flag that was flown over the Capitol in his honor.

"It just demonstrates the kinds of kids we have in the White Oak area and the East Texas area," Vaughn said of Walker's service to his country.

Walker couldn't exactly pin down all of his reasons for becoming a Marine, but 9/11 was a major factor, he said.

"I didn't want my siblings to go (to Iraq) or have to go," said Walker, the oldest of five.

The corporal was in Iraq from July until February. He does not expect to have to go back to Iraq, and isn't planning on re-enlisting in the Marines once his tour is finished.

"It's just great to have him home," Lakin said. "We're very relieved that he's out of the place he was in."

During the same City Council meeting, Transet Co., the lowest bidder at $774,000, was given the park renovations project.

Ellie