PDA

View Full Version : That's not cool...

Reddog0270
03-06-07, 06:25 PM
So today I'm sitting in class and the teacher is talking about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING per usual. So instead of listening to her ramble about securities and insurance I found myself surfing here at Leatherneck. The kid next to me looks over and says:

"Hey, you wanna be a Marine?"

Of course, I said "That's the plan!"

Then he goes "Dude, don't do it, you're to smart for the Marines"

:mad:

And if that wasn't bad enough, he goes "The Marines are for people who don't cut it for college and can't make anything of their lives"

I couldn't believe him. This is my dream and he totally shot it down.

Here's my opinion, yeah, it may not take much academically to be a Marine, but I'll take any Marine over this @$$hole next to me ANY DAY!

:flag: Thank you for all you do :flag:

Reddog0270

Marine84
03-06-07, 08:33 PM
The Marine Corps has PLENTY of college educated people. Goes to show how UNeducated he is about the Corps.

Don't sweat it man.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-06-07, 08:40 PM
The simple reasoning here is this:

Five years from now, you will be cooler than him by virtue of having been a Marine.

Remind him of that little fact.

And, if he's sooo smart, why is he reading over YOUR shoulder? I'd say he qualifies as a Class "A" nimrod.

Reddog0270
03-06-07, 08:44 PM
I guess this is just another large step in showing the world just how ignorant American citizens can be. Oh well, his comments mean nothing to me, and my dream of wearing the Eagle, Globe and Anchor live on!

Reddog0270

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-06-07, 09:09 PM
The general public believes that Marines are uneducated and too dumb to do anything else with their lives. Remember what John Kerry said about the people in the military.

Don't worry about it. You know better. Don't worry about what other people say, just do what's right for you.

killerinstinct
03-07-07, 08:36 AM
truth is man you'll meet stupid people everywhere you go and they are usually the ones who believe they have been dealt a ****ty hand in life its due to everyone elses shortcomings and not their own. Needless to say **** him.

rktect3j
03-07-07, 08:52 AM
Still, the military's racial mix is more diverse than it used to be. In 1981, African-Americans made up 33 percent of the armed forces. So, over the past two decades, their share has diminished by one-third. This decline began in the mid-'80s, when the military decided no longer to accept re-enlistments from soldiers who scored low on the aptitude test.

As a result, the scores have risen since the '80s. More than that, the aptitude of U.S. military personnel now exceeds that of American civilians.
Scores are divided into five categories. Categories I and II score in the 65th to 99th percentiles. Category IIIs score in the 31st to 64th percentiles, Category IVs in the 10th to 30th percentiles, Category Vs in the bottom 10th percentile. Here's how the scores break down, for recent recruits and for civilians:
Recruits Civilians
Category I & II
(65th to 99th percentiles) 41 percent 36 percent
Category III
(31st to 64th percentiles) 58 percent 34 percent
Category IV
(10th to 30th percentiles) 1 percent 21 percent
Category V
(bottom 10th percentile) 0 percent 9 percent

On balance, by this measure, those who volunteer for the military are smarter than those who don't.

Other indicators confirm this impression. The average recruit has an 11th-grade reading level; the average civilian can read at a 10th-grade level. Nearly all recruits—97 percent of female, 94 percent of male—graduated from high school; 79 percent of civilians have high-school diplomas. Officers are better-educated still: All are now required to have college degrees.

In short, today's armed forces are not the downtrodden, ethnically lopsided social rejects that they tended to be after the Vietnam War, when the all-volunteer military came into being.

rktect3j
03-07-07, 09:05 AM
You need to understand that the average recruit is much smarter then the average civillian. There is no such thing as being "too smart" for the military or for that matter the Marine Corps. It takes a certain level of intellignece to be in the military and /or college. Ever notice how the basic requirements for joining the military are the same ones for entering into college. DIfference is only which tests they make you take. But it takes something more to be in the military.

HardJedi
03-07-07, 09:21 AM
here's my little take.

I am CURRENTLY in college ( I am 34) and the kids ( 18-25) here are some of the dumbest people i have ever met. Even the ones in the honors program. I am serious, I look at these kids here and wonder what the hell has happened to my country, it is doomed to be taken over by a bunch of morons if this is indicative of the rest of the colleges here in the U.S.:mad:

killerinstinct
03-07-07, 09:24 AM
So today I'm sitting in class and the teacher is talking about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING per usual. So instead of listening to her ramble about securities and insurance I found myself surfing here at Leatherneck. The kid next to me looks over and says:

Reddog0270

but i do wanna add something. You can't join unless you graduate and I am pretty sure this site is not part of your class, unless some type of research but regardless. You know how Jim's position on surfing this site during class time not free time but you got my point dont ya?

Sgt Leprechaun
03-07-07, 11:43 AM
Amen HardJedi. Consider me less than impressed with the American educational system, and the complete lack of basic 'smarts' amongst todays "Yute".

Not to say all of them are idiots.....but if I were to challenge most HS seniors to, say, find Iran on a map.....

Could they even find a map?

Without using google, the internet, or any other little computer tool. "Here's a world map, find Iran. Find North Korea. Find Minnesota. Find Maryland."

Just one example, of course.

Reddog0270
03-07-07, 03:48 PM
You would honestly be surprised at just how dumb some of the kids today are. I spend 7 hours with them every day. I'm sure you all know what I mean, but sitting in class listening to: "I don't get it" and "When are we ever going to use this?" gets old pretty fast.

The kid in question is not the smartest bulb on the tree (actually, he's probably not even near the tree), therefore giving his opinion little to no weight in my book.

The fact of the matter is, I WANT TO BE A MARINE. I don't care what anybody says against it. I don't care if it may not be the best move academically as opposed to college, because I want to serve my country; no questions asked.

In reference to Sgt. L's statement, it may sound like a joke, BUT IT'S REALLY NOT. Maps are becoming as outdated as a chalkboard in the school system . The internet reigns over any paper materials nowadays, yet some dumb@$$es still don't understand it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'M READY TO GET OUT OF SCHOOL, AND JOIN YOU FINE GENTLEMEN.

Killerinstinct, I was not aware of this rule, and apologize for my breach of it. It will not happen again. Not to sound cocky here, but there's no way I'm not going to graduate. I'm in the top 15% of my class of over 800.