PDA

View Full Version : Lies!

poolee2008
03-06-07, 08:38 AM
Even though that this doesnt concern the Marines exactly, It does the issue of Honor and pride for the USA. I have a friend that is trying to get into the national guard. I try to tell her that the Marines are a much better choice. The real problem is the fact that her recruiter is lying for her. He tells her to lie on the enlistment papers. She even told him yes, but he wrote down no. She now assumes the same for all recruiters from every branch. I need some advice, just to convince her that not all are the same. I'm almost to the point of using money i have that is being saved for something else to drive her down my recruiter and show her that the Marines are above all that. She needs to see that the USMC is not all talk. If anything, she needs to see what they are doing is wrong!

Thanks,
Alyssa

BrentAndrew
03-06-07, 09:39 AM
If shes serious, a recruiter may even come to you. They have those gov vehicles for a reason!

GySgtRet
03-06-07, 09:48 AM
I know that this is Poolee Hall but I thought I would give you my advice on this being in the Corps for 20 years and a sucessful recruiter. I take it you are waiting to graduate high school this May or June? And that your friend is in the same situation? If there is something wrong with her physically then this needs to be brought out into the open. You don't have to tell people her on the forum because that is too personal for us to know about somebody else. If it is drugs, well I think you have my point. If she hasn't dep ed into the Army yet then tell her to backoff. I can understand not trusting, believe me I had to overcome this on recruting duty when the Army would bost on stuff they couldn't deliver then I had to earn trust which is not a problem if you are sincere. Discuss it with your friend and listen to her and be prepared to let her know what you know about the Marine Corps. If you have been doing what is asked of you then you know quite a bit being in the DEP.

Let us know please. And good luck.

:thumbup:

yellowwing
03-06-07, 09:49 AM
There's the school of thought that she has to WANT to be a Marine to be successful at Parris Island. If she bends and waivers so easily then maybe the Guard her best choice.

It is her choice.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-06-07, 08:16 PM
Not only is it wrong, but if she is found out, she'll get booted for 'fraudulent enlistment'.

The good news is, she can still back out now, and start fresh with "us". Convince her, if nothing else, to surf on in here and just browse. She can PM any one of us, esp the former recruiters, (of which I am not, BTW), to set her on the right path before she does something really stoopid and get permanantly jammed up.

Do it. Do it today. Now. Don't let her make a mistake she'll regret for a long time to come. You at least have to give it a personal try, so YOU can look at yourself in the mirror.

Marine84
03-06-07, 08:30 PM
And, if she wants to talk to another female....................I'm here

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-06-07, 08:55 PM
I know recruiters have to do it, but I don't believe in talking people into the Marine Corps. If you don't want to be a Marine you shouldn't be one. There are plenty of places in the world for everyone, the USMC isn't the place for everyone.

JohnWayne
03-06-07, 11:10 PM
I've never met a female Marine, and I guess this in a way shows that women in the military would tend to go for other branches. (Do lady Marines go by another title or is it just Marine by the way?) A recruiter that lies shouldn't be on the job, because it goes against the entire purpose; that shouldn't be a reason to slander the entire branch though. Oh and I wouldn't recommend pushing someone directly to the Marines or any other, because not chosing on their own makes them more likely to break. Good luck with that.

slowrider
03-07-07, 12:02 AM
I've never met a female Marine, and I guess this in a way shows that women in the military would tend to go for other branches. (Do lady Marines go by another title or is it just Marine by the way?) A recruiter that lies shouldn't be on the job, because it goes against the entire purpose; that shouldn't be a reason to slander the entire branch though. Oh and I wouldn't recommend pushing someone directly to the Marines or any other, because not chosing on their own makes them more likely to break. Good luck with that.

HMMMMMMMMM,Well I do recall the name "B.A.M" used.But can't say I'd recomend calling a female Marine one.:p

YLDNDN6
03-07-07, 05:47 AM
Yeah, and I recall that we had several different meanings for the initials "WM" way back when, too!!! Though I strongly recommend against using any of them now, or 84 will get us!!!

DWG
03-07-07, 06:40 AM
HMMMMMMMMM,Well I do recall the name "B.A.M" used.But can't say I'd recomend calling a female Marine one.

Gee, Slowrider, What does B.A.M. stand for?:angel:

Double dog dare ya!!!:banana: :banana:

slowrider
03-07-07, 06:46 AM
Gee, Slowrider, What does B.A.M. stand for?:angel:

Double dog dare ya!!!:banana: :banana:
UMMMMMMMMMM WeLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Let me Recall

Marine84
03-07-07, 07:39 AM
Ya'll know I don't give a fat baby's a$$ what you call us - the "proper" term is Woman Marine - WM for short. But, as these guys will tell you we're called all kinds of things - Broad A$$ Marines, Walking Matresses, Whiney Marines, Female Marines and a few that I'm sure I haven't heard. It really bothers a lot of them - I guess my skin is just thicker than most.

DWG
03-07-07, 07:49 AM
Ya'll know I don't give a fat baby's a$$ what you call us - the "proper" term is Woman Marine - WM for short. But, as these guys will tell you we're called all kinds of things - Broad A$$ Marines, Walking Matresses, Whiney Marines, Female Marines and a few that I'm sure I haven't heard. It really bothers a lot of them - I guess my skin is just thicker than most.

I figured you would have to help Slowrider out. He seemed to have a memory malfunction (big chicken)! Hahahahahahahaha!:p

:banana: :thumbdown

PatriotGirl422
03-07-07, 08:25 AM
The first time I talked to my recruiter, I expressed concern about joining the Marines because I'm a girl. I told him that I didn't want to bring down the strength of the Corps or anything. I also said that when I become a Marine, I didn't want to be thought of as a woman Marine or any other title, I just wanted to be a Marine. He told me that women don't get any special treatment and that we're all the same. Somehow, I don't believe that's completely true now. Why can't everyone just be a Marine and not woman Marine?

yellowwing
03-07-07, 08:34 AM
You will be a Marine if you graduate and get that Eagle Globe and Anchor. Ne'er you mind these Salty Old SOBs.

Look at the news, Women Marines are out in Iraq fulfilling the special duty of being out there on the edge searching female Muslims. Leigh Ann Hestor won a Silver Star repelling an ambush even when her unit was outnumbered 5:1.

You will be tested of character and trained. Earn that Title! :evilgrin:

(Hestor is National Guard, but you get the point)

Achped
03-07-07, 08:34 AM

I used "WM" once in one of my posts many months and I got a shellacking for it...even though I had no idea what the nicknames were, I just thought it meant Woman Marine (just like saying U.S.M.C. instead of United States Marine Corps)

Since then, I don't say Female Marine, Woman Marine, or anything, I just say "She's a Marine"...that says it all...and I don't get thrashed by old salt Gunnys. :D

Sgt Leprechaun
03-07-07, 11:33 AM
My wife went thru Recruit Training in 1986, and she is DAMN proud of the title "Woman Marine". Nowadays, the 'correct' term is simply "Marine".

Fewer, Prouder, as she always says.

Marine84
03-07-07, 12:46 PM
The first time I talked to my recruiter, I expressed concern about joining the Marines because I'm a girl. I told him that I didn't want to bring down the strength of the Corps or anything. I also said that when I become a Marine, I didn't want to be thought of as a woman Marine or any other title, I just wanted to be a Marine. He told me that women don't get any special treatment and that we're all the same. Somehow, I don't believe that's completely true now. Why can't everyone just be a Marine and not woman Marine?

Because our tails are split honey, that's just how it works. And you may as well get used to it because, even in this day and age of political correctness, you will STILL hear some of the older men in the Corps tell you how you DON'T belong. Don't take it personally - that's just the way it is - you have to improvise, adapt and overcome it. The only "special treatment" I ever got was my a$$ riden harder than some of the guys because they would TRY to push me to tears.

I know I'm PROUD to be called a Woman Marine!

Eagle Pride
03-07-07, 01:24 PM
Hi
I'm the one my friend Alyssa is talking about. Basically she summed it up in her initial writing. I have looked into the Marines and every other branch. You all seem very bonded together, like a family. My deal is there is always a sour apple in the batch somewhere. I want a challenge and I want to serve in a branch that will push me harder than I ever have been. The only reason I am looking in the guard is All of my family (brothers and sister) have been in the guard and it was more of tradition. I have a question though, do recruiters get commision for the recruits they get, because that would explain the lies he has told me and most likely the other recruits he has had.

Thanks,
Mariah

poolee2008
03-07-07, 01:34 PM
Hi
I'm the one my friend Alyssa is talking about. Basically she summed it up in her initial writing. I have looked into the Marines and every other branch. You all seem very bonded together, like a family. My deal is there is always a sour apple in the batch somewhere. I want a challenge and I want to serve in a branch that will push me harder than I ever have been. The only reason I am looking in the guard is All of my family (brothers and sister) have been in the guard and it was more of tradition. I have a question though, do recruiters get commision for the recruits they get, because that would explain the lies he has told me and most likely the other recruits he has had.

Thanks,
Mariah

It's about time you took my advice and looked at this site. The Marines on here are awesome, and so are the family and friends that support them. They give so much advice and really are an amazing group of people. Don't be intimidated because they will test you. (I know they did me!) but there is no better site to go to for info about first hand experience in the Marine Corps world. Welcome!
Alyssa

slowrider
03-07-07, 01:46 PM
I figured you would have to help Slowrider out. He seemed to have a memory malfunction (big chicken)! Hahahahahahahaha!:p

:banana: :thumbdown
hahahahah now you HUSH George - your going to get me in trouble - you heard her say she didn't give a fat babies A$$ , next thing you know she won't give a FORK either.hehehehehe

yellowwing
03-07-07, 01:52 PM
Yes, Eagle Pride, many of us go out of our way to assist poolees. Marine84, Kim, is terrific to answer any questions. All combined we have literally hundreds of years of experience. Just ask.

No, I have not heard of our Recruiters getting any commissions or bonuses. We are the United States Marines, not AmWay!

devildoghopeful
03-07-07, 02:43 PM
Hi
I'm the one my friend Alyssa is talking about. Basically she summed it up in her initial writing. I have looked into the Marines and every other branch. You all seem very bonded together, like a family. My deal is there is always a sour apple in the batch somewhere. I want a challenge and I want to serve in a branch that will push me harder than I ever have been. The only reason I am looking in the guard is All of my family (brothers and sister) have been in the guard and it was more of tradition.
Eagle Pride, it seems to me that the issue you need to deal with is what is more important to you. It's good that you've looked at all the branches of the military and it shows commitment to your decision to join the Armed Forces. If you decide to go with the Army because of a family tradition, that's fair enough, good luck to you. But wouldn't you like to be better than the rest of your family ;)? Wouldn't you like to show off those Dress Blues and be able to say that you had it tougher in bootcamp than they did in basic?

Just kidding, but I think that it's commonly agreed that bootcamp and Marine life is tougher than Army basic training/Army life and if your priority is to family tradition, then go for the Army, but if you really want to be pushed like never before...

:iwo:

JohnWayne
03-07-07, 03:33 PM
So I image searched "woman marines" online, expecting some 8 foot bull-dyke holding an M60 in each hand. Yes, I know, that's sexist or racist or whatever they're calling it these days. To my pleasant surprise, I found some group photos from Iraq and they looked in uniform pretty much the same as the other Marines. No more or less threatening. However, when I searched "women's hockey star"...

BrentAndrew
03-07-07, 03:52 PM
I'm going to agree with devildoghopeful.... Well, sure traditions are pretty cool and come with that common bond. Yet, why would you want to be like the rest? Be the one in your family to step it up a notch..... Start a new tradition!?!

Integrity57
03-07-07, 04:26 PM
I agree with BrentAndrew, do what you want to do, my dad is an Air Force Vet, My step-dad is about to retire from the Air Force, my dad's step-dad was Navy, two of my uncles are Navy Vets, one of my cousins is Navy, and I want to be a Marine. Remember this is your life, you get to decide what you do with it, and being different from everyone else is not a bad thing.

Eagle Pride
03-08-07, 08:21 AM
Thanks for everything! If any of you can give me some info i will take it into real consideration. I do want a challenge!

Thanks again,
Mariah

semperfi170
03-08-07, 08:37 AM
84;

I had 2 sisters that when into the Corps after I did. They definitely heard all the names as that was during the 70's. The thing is they learned to ignore the derogatory names and were/are proud of the fact they served and earned the title Marine.

GySgtRet
03-08-07, 09:10 AM
I cannot tell you what any other branchs do to make the recruiting numbers. I can tell that the Marines Corps works on mission and nothing else. There is no bonus for the Marine recruiter to put you in. The sole purpose for a Marine Recruiter is to "Make Mission" and there is no other motivation other than that. Marines take a great deal of pride in making every mission a sucess. This is our nature by design. When I was on recruiting duty in Buffalo New York our Commanding Offcer gave us a few pointers to be sucessful. The one that I recall more readily is. If you make a promise to a potential assement and it is beyond what programs are available. IN other words what he was saying if you lied to get somebody to join it was all on you, especially if you lied on what the Marine Corps delivered and cannot possibly be done. That Commanding Officer that I am speaking of is the current Chairman Joint Chiefs General Peter Pace. If you have any questions about what I've told you or you don't understand PM me other wise good luck and you make your own descision, as only you can.

Hi

Thanks,
Mariah

Marine84
03-08-07, 10:43 AM
Hi

Thanks,
Mariah

You'll find we ARE closer than the other branches - some of us in here have been out longer than you've been on this earth and we STILL talk to one another and have NEVER met. The guys will hassle you a little but, you can't take it personally. You'll be "tested" every day in the Corps in some shape, form or fashion. It will be the BEST thing you EVER do for yourself and everybody in your "circle" will be green with envy.

Eagle Pride
03-08-07, 11:40 AM
Very true. Recruiting really shouldnt be about numbers, even though numbers are nice. It should be about helping potentials realize their dreams of serving our country and protecting what our founding fathers tried to establish in the first place. The Marines seem to have a great thing going. I wish all other branches would model themselves after you.

poolee2008
03-08-07, 12:02 PM
Sincewe live in the same area if you are really up for the the biggest challenge of your life i can take and introduce you to my recruiter. She really knows alot and i'm sure she would be willing to answer any questions you have. Give me a call/email later and we'll set something up

Marine84
03-08-07, 12:05 PM
I used "WM" once in one of my posts many months and I got a shellacking for it...even though I had no idea what the nicknames were, I just thought it meant Woman Marine (just like saying U.S.M.C. instead of United States Marine Corps)

Since then, I don't say Female Marine, Woman Marine, or anything, I just say "She's a Marine"...that says it all...and I don't get thrashed by old salt Gunnys. :D

HAHAHAHAHA! You got shellacked cause you don't rate using the term yet. Once you get your Eagle, Globe & Anchor - you can fall into the ranks with these guys around here and call us whatever you want. Hell, you liable to come up with a good one or 2 of your own.

killerinstinct
03-08-07, 12:27 PM

HAHA walking mattreses is my favorite

slowrider
03-08-07, 01:30 PM
You'll find we ARE closer than the other branches - some of us in here have been out longer than you've been on this earth and we STILL talk to one another and have NEVER met. The guys will hassle you a little but, you can't take it personally. You'll be "tested" every day in the Corps in some shape, form or fashion. It will be the BEST thing you EVER do for yourself and everybody in your "circle" will be green with envy.

I couldn't emagine teasing you Kim,You know I'm a good Boy:D

Sgt Leprechaun
03-09-07, 08:59 AM
Well said, 84. My wife would agree. Eagle, glad you took the advice and showed up! You'll find this site very helpful...and fun. Welcome!