PDA

View Full Version : Brundidge Marine receives third-degree burns in explosion

thedrifter
03-06-07, 08:16 AM
Published Mar 05, 2007 - 22:35:31 CST.

Brundidge Marine receives third-degree burns in explosion
By Jaine Treadwell, The Messenger

In an instant, Shermandri Jackson's life forever changed.

The young Marine's career literally blew up in his face.

Jackson was on road maneuvers deep in Iraq when the tank in which he was riding was rocketed by an explosion.

He received third-degree burns on the upper part of his body, his arms and his face and head and is now being treated at Brook Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas.

“Shermandri was on his third tour of duty in Iraq,” said his aunt, Elaine Flowers of Brundidge. “He had not been home in a year and was looking forward to getting to come home. You know that things like this happen probably every day over there but you pray that everybody will be safe.

“Shermandri had no fear. He loved what he was doing and he planned to make the Marines his career. Now, he may not be able to do that.

“But I know that if there is any way that he can stay in, he will. He is proud to serve his country.”

Jackson's mom, Mae Jackson, and his brother are in San Antonio and plan to stay to be with him during the treatment and recovery periods.

“They won't let him be out there by himself.”

Jackson is a 2001 graduate of Pike County High School and joined the Marines the day before 9/11. He was anxious to serve his country and to be one of the “Few and the Proud.”

His mother prayed continually for his safety and for the safety of all the men and women in harm's way.

Flowers said Mae Jackson received a call about a week ago that her son had been injured.

“She was devastated, “ Flowers said. “We all were so thankful that he was alive. When they brought him back to the United States, Mae went right out there.

“When she got there, he was in intensive care, but now they have him in a room. And she said that he is talking and in good spirits.”

The road to recovery will be a rather long and rough one, but Flowers said she is certain that her nephew will be equal to the challenges before him.

“He is strong and he will do whatever it takes to get through this,” Flowers said. “He is proud to be a Marine, and we are proud of him.”

Flowers said she, too, takes great pride in that her nephew is a patriot.

“I come from a military family,” she said. “My husband is in the National Guard and my son is in the Navy. I have several nieces and nephews in the military. We believe in serving our country.

“But I would like to see the our troops get out of Iraq, but we can't leave things undone over there.

“We just couldn't do that. It wouldn't be right, not with all of those who have lost their lives - more than 3,000 them - and those who have been injured. No, we can't just leave and that would mean that we have lost.”

But, what “we” can do is support the troops that are defending freedom around the world and take care of those who are injured in the line of duty, Flowers said.

“When Shermandri gets out of the hospital, he will stay at a continuing-care center and go from there to treatment and rehab every day or so. Mae wants to be able to stay with him until he is ready to come home.”

Just how long that will be, no one is sure.

But Isabelle Boyd, Brundidge city council member, said the Brundidge community will come to the aid of this young Marine and his family.

“It will be expensive for Shermandri's family to stay with him and people are asking how they can make donations,” Boyd said.

“We've got two places where they drop of donations - Frank's Convenient Stop on Galloway Road or Rue's Antiques or call (334) 735-5638.”

Checks also can be made to the Shermandri Jackson Fund (Mae Jackson) c/o First National Bank of Brundidge, P.O. Drawer 775, Brundidge, AL 36010 or c/o Brundidge Business Association, P.O. Box 251, Brundidge, AL 36010.

“We need to stand behind Shermandri and his family in prayer and financially,” Boyd said. “When something like this hits home, we need to be there to uplift those in need.”

Ellie