PDA

View Full Version : K-9 Unit, and MP School

119Wrestler
03-05-07, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know the requirments to get into a K-9 Unit in the Marines ?
Or what to do ? and also how long is MP School?

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-05-07, 11:09 PM
How many times are you going to ask the same question?

jinelson
03-05-07, 11:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/image-17.jpg

Welcome aboard Young Marine! Do not give up on you desire to be a Marine or your K-9 goal! You were born on the best day of our nations history and something tells me that you will one day be my brother and an MP with a dog.

ORRAH!!!

Jim

Echo5November
03-06-07, 05:01 PM
First, enlist into the 5800 mos field. This is military police AND corrections. Its no guarantee you'll get to be an MP. If you graduate boot camp, go through MCT, MP school is 9 to 10 weeks long at Ft. Leonardwood, MO. Towards the end of MP school, your instructor will ask who might be interested in being a 5812 (K9 dog handler). You'll have to go up on a board against your fellow classmates to compete for usually one or two slots to K9 school. It is about 3 months long, and held at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. From there, plan on cleaning dog cages, doing the crappy work details, and getting bit from time to time until you pick up Corporal. Good field to get into though. 5812's get to do some cool training with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.

119Wrestler
03-06-07, 08:36 PM
thanks Echo five, thats the best info about dog handlers and being an MP ive received. MY dad was a german shepherd dog breeder, and my dads dog was a world champion, so i can work very good with dogs, will that give me an advantage? and what do i have to do to beat everyone in the board ?
oh and what happends if i dont get those 2 slots ? do i lose my chance of becoming a k-9 handler ?
but thank you for the info, all i want is to be Marine, then a k-9 dog handler.
I went to young Marines, its a youth program, i have good grades, and i wrestle so i think ill be able to be a Marine, plus my bday is NOv 10. =]
semper fi.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-06-07, 09:14 PM
119, you really are worrying about the wrong things. You have a LONG way to go before you'll be in a position to worry about doing a board at MP school. But, in any competition in the Marine Corps, you will have to be a great Marine. Your apperance will have to be squared away, you're PFT and rifle range scores should be at the top, you should know all of the basic knowledge Marines should know, and I would assume you should know the course work of your MP school very well. Be the best and it won't be an issue.

konman1
03-06-07, 10:35 PM
thanks Echo five, thats the best info about dog handlers and being an MP ive received. MY dad was a german shepherd dog breeder, and my dads dog was a world champion, so i can work very good with dogs, will that give me an advantage? and what do i have to do to beat everyone in the board ?
oh and what happends if i dont get those 2 slots ? do i lose my chance of becoming a k-9 handler ?
but thank you for the info, all i want is to be Marine, then a k-9 dog handler.
I went to young Marines, its a youth program, i have good grades, and i wrestle so i think ill be able to be a Marine, plus my bday is NOv 10. =]
semper fi.

Hey 119, Im glad to hear that you want to be a MP. I did not go through K-9 school, but I am friends with a few that did, I also won a couple boards. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. By the way, my birthday is Nov 10th too.:marine: