PDA

View Full Version : Bucking up for boot camp, students train early to become Marines

thedrifter
03-05-07, 10:19 AM
Bucking up for boot camp, students train early to become Marines
By COLLEEN CREAMER
ccreamer@dnj.co

Becoming one of the few and the proud wasn't lost on a group of young Murfreesboro Marine recruits who began early training for boot camp at Tullahoma High School Saturday.

"There are probably more here from Murfreesboro than anywhere else," said Sgt. Andrew Miller, public affairs representative for the Murfreesboro recruiting office.

The Marines' Delayed Entry Program allows young people - often still in high school - to get physically and mentally prepared for boot camp. The recruits have up to a year of pre-training.

Marine boot camp is considered the toughest in all the military branches. A 13-week lesson in punishment ends with a test called "The Crucible."

The majority of recruits said they were nervous about boot camp.

On Saturday, Marine recruiters put the group of young men (and one young woman) from all over the Middle Tennessee region through their paces. They climbed, ran and they crawled.

So, what is the difference between being a Marine and a member of other military branches?

"It's basically the way we train and our attitudes about who we are and what we stand for," said Staff Sgt. David Degroff. "The thing about the Marine Corps is God, Corps and country. The Marine Corps is older than the United States of America. We were founded in 1775."

The Marines do not take those who have not finished high school, even with a GED, and for those who have made the decision in high school, early training and assessment is a way in.

"That allows them, with our assistance, to help them focus on high school before they become a Marine," Degroff said.

All the recruits have taken a battery of physical and mental tests to gauge how fit they are and where their talents lie.

Recruiters at the training session said it was too early to say where they would be deployed, but a few of the recruits said they'd heard it might be Iraq in 2008 or 2009.

Recruit Josh Taylor's dad, Rick Taylor, said both he and his wife had "mixed emotions," but his son was so committed to a future in the Marines, they were compelled to support him.

"He's committed to it, and I support him for that," said Taylor. He said, however, that he would "worry about him every day."

Nick Humphrey said he was joining to have a clear direction in his life and what he considers the obvious.

"I'm joining because of the pride of belonging to the United States Marine Corps," said Humphrey. "It will better my life, and it will help me see my further goals and push for more things in life."

Another parent said she wouldn't stand in her son's way as it had been a lifelong dream.

"He told us starting from about the time he was 14. It's the only career he ever wanted to choose, not any other branch, only the Marines," said Lynn Troutman, mother of Blake Troutman.

Other answers about the desire to join had to do with travel, opportunity and honor, but one young recruit delved way back.

"The reason I joined the Marine Corps is because there is nothing like it in the world" said Chase Walker. "It's pretty much like - I know it sounds dumb - but when I was little, every kid fantasizes about being a superhero, and this is as close as you get to saving the world."