PDA

View Full Version : 03XX or 18XX

ElDiablo
03-05-07, 09:41 AM
Hi... I was just wondering what the pros and cons of each MOS is...because I want to go into either Infantry or Tank/AAV crewman...also in 18XX what are the chances of me getting to actually drive a Tank or AAV? Any answer is appreciated and thanks.

HardJedi
03-05-07, 10:00 AM
the pros and cons huh? Well, I can't speak on the tankers behalf........

As for Infantry? Well, cons first, I think

You get shot at.
You walk ALOT
You sleep in the mud
you sleep in the snow
You sleep in the sand
you sleep in water
sometimes you don't sleep at all
the food sucks ( when you can get some)
it's either too hot, too cold, to wet, or you don't have any water.
2nd Lt's are idiots who can make your life hell.
cleaning your rifle you haven't fired in two months for the 50th day in a row sucks

Pros
You are the REASON the rest of the Marine Corps is even around
You get great training
You will know your limits, and be amazed at how far they are beyond anything you ever imagined
You make friends that NEVER go away
you CAN make a difference in the world.

ALSO, you get to sleep in all kinds of exciting places
;)

maverickmarine
03-05-07, 10:01 AM
I believe this has been covered before so if you search it, you might find some further answers as well. I served in Tanks and in Infantry and it's really just a matter of what you're suited for because all M.O.S.'s have their pro's and con's. The only issue is that you are given a career field but that doesn't mean for sure you will be a particular M.O.S. For instance, you are given the 03 field but that doesn't mean you will be 0311. Or you are given the 18 field but that doesn't mean that you will be 1812 (Tank Crewman). As far as whether you drive a tank or not. If you get Tank Crewman you can guarantee that you will drive a tank at some point. You pretty much get picked initially as either the driver or the loader and will eventually cycle threw both positions and then if you can shoot you will move to gunner after sometime in. Then if you become an NCO you move up to Tank Commander. I went into more detail about the Tank side because you asked specifically about it. Anyway, you just need to look at the jobs that you could possibly be assigned in each MOS field and then pick the one that you feel you will be happy with for at least 4 years and go from there.

ElDiablo
03-06-07, 12:05 PM
Thanks...both posts helped...but still can't make up my mind...probably go Infantry though...