PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of an Impropriety, or Ann Coulter Vs. Bill Maher

thedrifter
03-05-07, 08:26 AM
Anatomy of an Impropriety, or Ann Coulter Vs. Bill Maher
NewsBusters.org ^ | 3/5/07 | Warner Todd Huston

The double standard of Leftists who are ignoring the outrage of Bill Maher -- who alluded to his wish that Vice President Dick Cheney was assassinated – while at the same time are wildly fanning themselves in mock outrage as if they had the vapors over Ann Coulter -- for calling Democrat John Edwards a bad name -- was on full display in the MSM over the weekend.

If you are a conservative who stays up on the "happenings" in conservative news, you'd have by now heard that firebrand Columnist Ann Coulter called Democratic Candidate John Edwards a "faggot" at the CPAC convention the other day. You are also probably aware of all the lefty types wading into the waters of high dudgeon over her typically button-pushing remark and you'll have seen Democrats and their supporters coming out of the woodwork to claim astonishment at Coulter's comment, demanding that conservatives distance themselves from her.

You'll also have noticed that every upstanding Conservative and GOP candidate was falling all over themselves in compliance to denounce Coulter's remarks.

Now, right here I'll probably get myself in trouble with some conservatives who are in a permanent mode of "fed-up" and who always get a thrill out of Coulter's work. I'll get tsk, tsked by them because, well, I just don't like her. Whenever I see her on TV, I stop paying attention, whenever I hear her on the radio I change stations, and I have long since stopped reading her columns. In fact, I see little difference between her and any of the hatemongers on the left like, for instance, a Bill Maher.

Of course, I am sympathetic to her core message of conservative values, but in my opinion she is no longer an effective conservative columnist having long ago diluted her message by a career that has advanced to the stage of "personality" instead of pundit. She is the H.L. Mencken of our times... minus the intellect.

Sadly, she obviously feels she has to say increasingly outrageous things to stay at the top of the news. In fact, at this point she isn't much different than Whitney Houston, Paris Hilton, or Britney Spears all of whom seem to feel a need to continuously up the ante of crazy behavior to keep getting noticed.

In other words, Coulter no longer does much to aid the cause because her own fame -- or more properly her infamy -- has become her driving force, the cause having been eclipsed by her need to stay in the news. I feel, at this point, that she is hurting us on the right more than helping us.

Alright, that being said -- and start the hate mail now -- it just cannot escape notice how the two infamies, Coulter's and Maher's, are being treated by the MSM.

First of all let's rate the relative outrages. Coulter called Edwards a derogatory name equating him to a man that likes homosexual sex, a name that is tinged with the cultural meaning of not being a "real" man, being an effete, and a weakling. OK, inappropriate in serious policy discussion, sure. But is it a hanging offense? Hardly.

Bill Maher, on the other hand, basically called for the assassination of a sitting American vice president! Of the two Maher's comments are by far the more egregious.

Coulter's comment is intemperate, childish, lowbrow, even frat house-like for its part, but it was just a derogatory name in the end. Maher wants people KILLED, for Heaven's sake. But is the left cranking up the water-works and crying for his head on a platter? The big question is, where are all the MSM talking heads calling for Democrats to immediately distance themselves from his immoral behavior? In fact, where have they ever been for denouncing Maher's ignorance? Since the 2000 election Maher has been just as caught up in the need for notice that Coulter is in the grips of with his every appearance seemingly geared to showcase an ever increasing intemperance, a wild eyed shrillness, and is filled with unstable verbiage.

If he isn't infected with BDS (Bush derangement syndrome), no one is.

Now, let's take a perusal of some of the gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes that the MSM has indulged in with Coulter over the last few days, shall we?

Reuters
Outspoken U.S. conservative columnist Ann Coulter is drawing fire from Republicans and Democrats alike after publicly using a derogatory gay slur in reference to Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards.
Dallas Morning News
Ann Coulter outdoes herself - Conservative firebrand uses anti-gay slur against John Edwards
CNN
Coulter under fire for anti-gay slur
A bog on the Houston chronicle's site has this:
She's a charmer, isn't she? Here's what's I find funny: conservative friends will tell me that nobody really looks at Coulter as a serious person. With her calls for assassinations of public officials, general name-calling, and highly casual relationship with anything resembling facts, she's the court jester, a source of entertainment whom nobody really thinks of as one of the grown-ups.
The Nation had this:
So Ann Coulter called John Edwards a "faggot." All this proves is that the woman's gaydar is seriously on the fritz. Last year she diagnosed Bill Clinton as a "latent homosexual" whose "promiscuity" is "reminiscent of a bathhouse." Then on Hardball she called Al Gore a "total fag." Meanwhile, Ted Haggard and Mark Foley stage 120 Days of Sodom right under her nose, and all she can say when confronted with the goods is "who knew Congressman Foley was a closeted Democrat?"
The New York Times joined the fray, too.
These conferences (CPAC) have historically been known for displaying what its own organizers would describe as over-the-top behavior, and one of the regular speakers – Ann Coulter – offered an example of it when she used an anti-gay epithet on Friday to describe John Edwards, the former senator from North Carolina and Democratic presidential contender.
And Editor and Publisher quoted Dana Milbanks:
The Post's Dana Milbank, in a column for the Saturday paper, observed: "Ann Coulter used an anti-gay slur to describe John Edwards (the line drew applause) and asked: 'Did Al Gore actually swallow Michael Moore?' When a questioner asked Coulter why she praises marriage but broke off so many engagements, she responded by calling the questioner ugly."
The Minnesota Daily, a University Paper, even tried their hand at the story:
The remark is so filled with bigotry it's surprising anyone would have the gall to say it in public, even if they believe it in private.
And that was the coverage by just a few news sources this weekend. There is a lot more where those came from. Imagine what it will be as the early part of the week rolls on and the "real" MSM pundits get a crack at this story from their weekend off work.

Naturally Democrat party spokesmen were all over the comment, too.

DNC Chairman, Howard Dean immediately released this statement: "There is no place in political discourse for this kind of hate-filled and bigoted comments. While Democrats and Republicans may disagree on the issues, we should all be able to agree that this kind of vile rhetoric is out of bounds. The American people want a serious, thoughtful debate of the issues. Republicans--including the Republican presidential candidates who shared the podium with Ann Coulter today--should denounce her hateful remarks."

Naturally, the man the comment was aimed at, John Edwards, had plenty to say, as well. Edward's campaign manager David Bonior said in an e-mail message: "John was singled out for a personal attack because the Republican establishment knows he poses the greatest threat to their power. Since they have nothing real to use against him, Coulter’s resorting to the classic right-wing strategy of riling up hate to smear a progressive champion."

Even Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese got into the act with the following: "To interject this word into American political discourse is a vile and disgusting way to sink the debate to a new, all-time low. Make no doubt about it, these remarks go directly against what our Founding Fathers intended and have no place on the schoolyard, much less our country’s political arena.”

Solmonese went on to say, "It is clear that some in the Republican Party plan to run in 2008 the same way they did in 2004, by using discrimination to divide the country and rally their base. But, 2008 is not 2004, and this time the politics of fear and smear will not work. The American people are tired of those who would rather divide than unite."

(Those last three comments can be seen here: Ann Coulter’s Done It Again)

OK, we get it. Ann was a nitwit and said something inappropriate. How can anyone even be surprised any more?

Now, for the Right's part, there isn't anyone with any standing in the conservative community who is seen to be supporting Coulter's nonsense. All the GOP presidential candidates denounced her remark almost immediately (as can be seen in any of the linked stories above). Sean Hannity tried to gently distance himself from the kind of comments Coulter made and the right's favorite blogger, Michelle Malkin has also denounced the blond bomb...uh, shell.

Well, there is all the mess over Ann. It's got everyone abuzz, for sure.

Now, let's turn to Bill Maher's most recent comment.

As reported here on Newsbusters, on his HBO program "Real Time", Maher thought a "funny joke" was offered by Congressman Barney Frank who said that the bomb that recently missed vice president Cheney on an overseas visit was "wasted" because it didn't kill him (to audience laughter and applause, I might add).

The exchange went on:
Maher: But I have zero doubt that if Dick Cheney was not in power, people wouldn’t be dying needlessly tomorrow. (applause)

Scarborough: If someone on this panel said that they wished that Dick Cheney had been blown up, and you didn’t say…

Frank: I think he did.

Scarborough: Okay. Did you say…

Maher: No, no. I quoted that.

Frank: You don’t believe that?

Maher: I’m just saying if he did die, other people, more people would live. That’s a fact.
Now, here is a definitive listing of all the outrage exhibited over Bill Maher in the MSM and by GOP sources:

Newsmax
Bill Maher: Better If Cheney Is Dead
Newsbusters (as noted above)
Noel Sheppard's blog Bill Maher is Sorry the Assassination Attempt on Dick Cheney Failed
There you have it.

Two sources.

No Republicans finger wagging over Maher's comments. No Democrats rushing to the microphones to denounce Maher's constant over the top rhetoric. No MSM reports of Maher wishing the VP were assassinated.

Zip.

Nadda.

Nuthin'.

And, this isn’t a lone comment by Bill Maher, either. His wasn't the kind that might make people want to give him a pass because it was so unusual. Maher has been outrageous with his over the top rhetoric for some time, even losing a job over it when ABC decided not to renew his TV contract for his old show, “Politically Incorrect”. He's called America a stupid country with stupid people, said that torture is worse in Iraq now than it was under Saddam, said that Bush couldn't find his ass with two hands, was heard telling Christians to "go screw", called RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman "gay", said that Laura Bush is like Hitler's dog... well, I could go on and on and on.

Now, for her part, Coulter has said that her Edwards comment was "just a joke". I am sure Maher would have the same retort when his outrageous comments were pointed out.

But, the more salient point by contrasting these two people and their "jokes" is the way that the MSM treats them.

They ignore Maher.

They constantly and instantly pounce on Coulter.

NEITHER personality can be considered too serious a commentator on political or societal events, but only Coulter is focused upon by the MSM. Predictably, a hatemonger from the left gets a pass by the MSM, yet one coming from the right is made infamous by the very same people.

Interesting, wouldn't you say?

Ellie

DWG
03-05-07, 08:51 AM
To Ann Coulter:

YOU GO GIRL!! :thumbup:

Keep kicking them in the crotch and poking them in the eye!!!
The lefties can compare our leadership to any one from Hitler to Satan and nothing is ever said. Ann is just feeding it back to them and they are acting like the weak kneed bullies they are; They start crying and squealing "Foul" when they get a dose of their own medicine! Nobody may take her seriously, but they sure notice every word out of her mouth! Good on her!!!
:p to the leftist weenies! :banana:

yellowwing
03-05-07, 09:46 AM
From the John Edwards website:

Friday afternoon, Republican mouthpiece Ann Coulter brought hate-speech politics to a new low.
This video shows Coulter addressing the American Conservative Union's Political Action Conference, March, 2, 2007 in Washington, D.C.

We must show that inflaming prejudice to attack progressive leaders will only backfire.

Can you help us raise $100,000 in "Coulter Cash" this week to keep this campaign charging ahead and fight back against the politics of bigotry

Her rant just put $100k in his political fund in one week. Yes, way to go. She's going to be the DNC's biggest fundraiser! :bunny:

DWG
03-05-07, 10:13 AM
So Edwards can't raise his own money anymore? He has to use Ann to scare it up? Why doesn't he just "channel" the dead to find out where they buried their loot?
It is kind of a shame that she drew attention to this loser with her joke; he's circling the toilet as it is.

HOLM
03-05-07, 10:22 AM
"I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, but it turns out you have to go into rehab if you use the word ‘faggot,’ so I — so kind of an impasse, can’t really talk about Edwards,

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA... Those whinny little queers.... They have no problem calling me rascist of full of hate... They have no problem with anti war protesters calling our Marines baby killers.... Screw them the need to lighten up...

i didn't quickly find Ann's follow up comment.. But she said something along the lines of She never meant to put down Gays by comparing them to John Edwards.... HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA...

I love that gal....

Besides watch this video... She may be right....

http://www.noedesign.com/dev/KerryEdwards/index.html

rktect3j
03-05-07, 10:25 AM
The left is very hypocritical when it comes to using derogatory terms. For them it is fine cuz it seems that these people make up their party but the moment someone from the right uses a derogatory term all hell breaks loose. The left just has no standards we can hold them to while the right has standards we hold ourselves to as well as the left.

DWG
03-05-07, 11:28 AM
When conservatives(repubs) get caught or called out they resign. Libs(dems) just look at you and say "so what? don't judge me!"
:p

HOLM; whoever made that video has just made enemies of two very evil lawyers!
:mad:

:D

HOLM
03-05-07, 11:39 AM
HOLM; whoever made that video has just made enemies of two very evil lawyers!
Well then Kerry and Ewards shouldn't have been kissing then;)

Did Obama and Billary decide who was blacker yet this weekend.. I see CNN was giving them all kinds of free air time this weekend?????

yellowwing
03-05-07, 11:48 AM
Did Obama and Billary decide who was blacker yet this weekend.. I see CNN was giving them all kinds of free air time this weekend?????
That is soo crude...but funny as hell! Jim where's that laughing frog?

DWG
03-05-07, 11:57 AM
Did Obama and Billary decide who was blacker yet this weekend.. [quote]

Billary came off more Southern (?) with her faux accent and by bringing bill, she won the "being blacker' portion of the beauty contest too(in a walk)!

:sick:

HOLM
03-05-07, 12:00 PM
Ya know come to think of it.. As a broad generalization.... When did being a lawyer become such a noble profession in public view???? I always thought everybody thought that attorneys were always just a little dishonest..... at the very least. At least the good ones anyway..

Politicians get the same bum rap.... Now all the major players in the Dem. Primary are both Attorneys and Politicians... Its scary if you ask me....

DWG
03-05-07, 12:07 PM
Ya know come to think of it.. As a broad generalization.... When did being a lawyer become such a noble profession in public view???? I always thought everybody thought that attorneys were always just a little dishonest..... at the very least. At least the good ones anyway..

Politicians get the same bum rap.... Now all the major players in the Dem. Primary are both Attorneys and Politicians... Its scary if you ask me....

Being a politician is the most "honest" work a lawyer can get. As a lawyer they have a license to steal, but as a politician they also get to issue the licenses!

drumcorpssnare
03-05-07, 12:20 PM
My first thought when I heard that the attempt on Cheney failed....."Maybe, if we're lucky, Sen. Hildabeast Clinton can make a trip to Pakistan. Of course, we would want plenty of advance publicity before her arrival....like what airport, what time, what plane, a picture of her (so there's no mistake)..." It would be a great opportunity for the American people, if she took advantage of the news op.:D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

HOLM
03-05-07, 12:43 PM
What is also interesting about the Dem's in this campaign is that very very few attorney's or senators have ever been president.. Only 2 Senators have ever been President... I am not sure on the attorney's but only Bill comes right to the top I my head.. I am sure there were a couple more...

Has any one else heard a democrat refer to Bush as the Chimperor Disgustus

http://www.bushorchimp.com/

http://pandagon.net/2005/11/30/the-chimperors-plan-for-victory/

Every one is fully aware that the last time a Human to monkey term was used in recent history it had Racial overtones right...

How come the liberals don't have a problem with this usage????

This is not the first time the dems referred to a president in such a manner... This was a favorite term of the Copperhead "peace" Dems of the 1860s

Abraham Africanus

Gary Hall
03-05-07, 12:53 PM
Kindest regards and best wishes, Young Lady. G. Hall, Tyler, TX

rktect3j
03-05-07, 01:15 PM
What is also interesting about the Dem's in this campaign is that very very few attorney's or senators have ever been president.. Only 2 Senators have ever been President... I am not sure on the attorney's but only Bill comes right to the top I my head.. I am sure there were a couple more...

Has any one else heard a democrat refer to Bush as the Chimperor Disgustus

http://www.bushorchimp.com/

http://pandagon.net/2005/11/30/the-chimperors-plan-for-victory/

Every one is fully aware that the last time a Human to monkey term was used in recent history it had Racial overtones right...

How come the liberals don't have a problem with this usage????

This is not the first time the dems referred to a president in such a manner... This was a favorite term of the Copperhead "peace" Dems of the 1860s

Abraham Africanus

They do have a problem with it when you refer to Obama that way. I've seen it on other boards and they throw the race card.

WanderWannabe
03-05-07, 01:23 PM
Well, I hate Coulter and Edwards equally. If they both disappeared in a vortex of self-absorbtion the world would be a happier place.

Also, don't be fooled by Obama playing nice with Hillary right now...those two are as different as FDR and Mussilini.

HOLM
03-05-07, 01:54 PM
Yeah but out of Osama.... Dang it... I always do that...

I mean Obama and Billary

Which is the fascist???? and which is the Left wing nut that ignores threats to the US and uses our countries time of need to advance every type and form of Welfare?????

HOLM
03-05-07, 02:17 PM
Robert Byrd's outburst of racist bigoted slurs, more specifically the
"n-word," on national television in March of 2001. Amazingly, this
incident of blatant racism on national television drew barely a peep
from the NAACP, Jesse Jackson, Julian Bond, Mary Frances Berry, or any of the other ambulance chasers who purport themselves to be the leaders

Senator Robert Byrd, D-WV: Byrd is a former member of the Ku Klux Klan and is currently the only national elected official with a history in
the Klan, a well known hate group. Byrd was extremely active in the Klan and rose to the rank of "Kleagle, of the civil rights movement

More stuff that should bother the DEM's But it don't

Or this story never really bothered the Dem's either..

DAN Rather stated on the air, refering to CBS, that "they got the Buckwheats" and made him
cover the Condit scandal. The term "Buckwheat" is considered an
offensive racial stereotype that stems from an easily frightened black
character named "Buckwheat" on the Little Rascals comedies. It is
widely regarded as a racial epithet and has long been condemned as an
offensive stereotype by several civil rights organizations

This story sure never bothered them either

Andrew Cuomo: Cuomo, Bill Clinton's former Housing Secretary and a
prominent Democrat political player in New York, was tape recorded using
racially inflamatory rhetoric to build opposition to a potential
Democrat primary opponent while speaking to a Democrat group. Cuomo
stated that voting for his rival for the New York Democrat gubernatorial
nomination Carl McCall, who is black, would create a "racial contract"
between Black and Hispanic Democrats "and that can't happen

I don't think that this really get talked about enough either though

Though it has
been all but forgotten by the media, the Democrat National Convention of
1924 was host to one of the largest Klan gatherings in American history.
Dubbed the "Klanbake convention" at the time, the 1924 Democrat National
Convention in New York was dominated by a platform dispute surrounding
the Ku Klux Klan. A minority of the delegates to the convention
attempted to condemn the hate group in the party's platform, but found
their proposal shot down by Klan supporters within the party. As
delegates inside the convention voted in the Klan's favor, the Klan
itself mobilized a celebratory rally outside. On July 4, 1924 one of the
largest Klan gatherings ever occurred outside the convention on a field
in nearby New Jersey. The event was marked by speakers spewing racial
hatred, celebrations of their platform victory in the Democrat
Convention, and ended in a cross burning.

And this is why the welcoming of the Democrats to speak at the Selma stuff seems so strange to me

Senator Ernest Hollings, D-SC: Hollings is liberal Democrat Senator from
South Carolina who is also notorious for his use of racial slurs. He
rose out of the Democrat Party's segregationist wing in the 1960's as
governor of South Carolina. While in office as governor, Hollings
personally led the opposition to lunch counter integration in his state.

II. Democrat opposition to the Civil Rights Movement: A little known
fact of history involves the heavy opposition to the civil rights
movement by several prominent Democrats. Similar historical neglect is
given to the important role Republicans played in supporting the civil
rights movement. A calculation of 26 major civil rights votes from 1933
through the 1960's civil rights era shows that Republicans favored civil
rights in approximately 96% of the votes, whereas the Democrats opposed
them in 80% of the votes! These facts are often intentionally overlooked
by the left wing Democrats for obvious reasons. In some cases, the
Democrats have told flat out lies about their shameful record during the
civil rights movement. Democrat Senators organized the record Senate
filibuster of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Included among the
organizers were several prominent and well known liberal Democrat
standard bearers including:

- Robert Byrd, current senator from West Virginia

- J. William Fulbright, Arkansas senator and political mentor of Bill
Clinton

- Albert Gore Sr., Tennessee senator, father and political mentor of Al
Gore. Gore Jr. has been known to lie about his father's opposition to
the Civil Rights Act.

- Sam Ervin, North Carolina senator of Watergate hearings fame

- Richard Russell, famed Georgia senator and later President Pro Tempore
The complete list of the 21 Democrats who opposed the Civil Rights Act
of 1964 includes Senators:

- Hill and Sparkman of Alabama

- Fulbright and McClellan of Arkansas

- Holland and Smathers of Florida

- Russell and Talmadge of Georgia

- Ellender and Long of Louisiana

- Eastland and Stennis of Mississippi

- Ervin and Jordan of North Carolina

- Johnston and Thurmond of South Carolina

- Gore Sr. and Walters of Tennessee

- H. Byrd and Robertson of Virginia

- R. Byrd of West Virginia

Democrat opposition to the Civil Rights Act was substantial enough to
literally split the party in two. A whopping 40% of the House Democrats
VOTED AGAINST the Civil Rights Act, while 80% of Republicans SUPPORTED
it. Republican support in the Senate was even higher. Similar trends
occurred with the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which was supported by 82%
of House Republicans and 94% of Senate Republicans. The same Democrat
standard bearers took their normal racists stances, this time with
Senator Fulbright leading the opposition effort. It took the hard work
of Republican Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen and Republican Whip
Thomas Kuchel to pass the Civil Rights Act (Dirksen was presented a
civil rights accomplishment award for the year by the head of the NAACP
in recognition of his efforts).

BUT SURE LETS ALL GET P!SSED WHEN ANN OPENS HER MOUTH....

Hypcrite runs in democrat blood... Ask the leader of the Global warming nonsense what his electric bill was last year........

10thzodiac
03-05-07, 02:26 PM
Yeah but out of Osama.... Dang it... I always do that...

I mean Obama and Billary

Which is the fascist???? and which is the Left wing nut that ignores threats to the US and uses our countries time of need to advance every type and form of Welfare?????

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/04.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

HOLM
03-05-07, 03:51 PM
Yeah yeah Do you want to see what happenes when you read b/t the lines of a Billary speech

Check this out.. Very funny or very scary... I am not sure which yet???

http://www.thepeoplescube.com/red/viewtopic.php?t=92

Lot of funny stuff there....

10thzodiac
03-05-07, 03:52 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif Muzzletoff

HOLM
03-05-07, 03:55 PM
Besides with all this carrying on about Ann using the word she did...

WHEN IS TIME FOR ME TO SAY THAT I AM OFFENDED WHEN SOME QUEER RAMS HIS BLANKTY BLANK UP SOME OTHER QUEERS BACKSIDE....

AND THEN MARCHES DOWN THE MIDDLE OF FRIGN MAINSTREET BRAGGING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!!!!!

WHEN IS IT TIME TO SAY STUFF LIKE THAT OFFENDS ME....

10thzodiac
03-05-07, 05:19 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif Muzzletoff

thedrifter
03-06-07, 08:26 AM
The Long Fuse on Ann Coulter's Bomb
By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 6, 2007; C01

At first, Ann Coulter's anti-gay crack at a Washington conference Friday drew almost no media coverage, although it was witnessed by hundreds of journalists and political operatives and captured by television cameras.

But after some Democrats and liberal bloggers slammed the professional provocateur -- and were joined by a number of Republicans and conservatives -- it became a news story, albeit a modest one. Journalists could simply quote critics of the conservative author's latest rhetorical stink bomb, in which she referred to Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards with a six-letter word offensive to gays.

Why the initial reluctance to report the remark, made at the Conservative Political Action Conference? "There was a fairly high barrier, in my opinion, to make it worthy of a story, because part of what she's about is trying to use shock language to entertain her audience and, who knows, maybe to sell books," says Adam Nagourney, chief political correspondent of the New York Times.

Nagourney says he did not initially mention Coulter's slur at CPAC because he was not in the room and could not verify it. He put together a piece the following day. "The fact that she said it in such a public place, and was a featured speaker, and the fact that three of the presidential candidates criticized her made it news," Nagourney explained.

At the end of her speech Friday, Coulter said: "I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate, John Edwards, but it turns out that you have to go into rehab if you use the word [expletive], so I'm kind of at an impasse."

Markos Moulitsas, who runs the popular liberal blog Daily Kos, sees a media "double standard" when it comes to conservative flamethrowers compared with, say, the flap over two left-wing bloggers who quit the Edwards campaign amid criticism of their past anti-Catholic rhetoric.

"There's the notion that this is her shtick and this is how she sells millions of books," Moulitsas says of Coulter. But while she "just calls people traitors because they disagree with her," he says, "what's amazing is how much she's cheered in some quarters for saying those things."

After Coulter's use of the slur -- which drew more than a smattering of applause and laughter -- MSNBC's Keith Olbermann played the unexpurgated clip that night on his "Countdown" program. The most prominent newspaper coverage was at the bottom of a Los Angeles Times story (which used the word) and a mention in Dana Milbank's Washington Post column (which did not). Post editors decided then, and again for this story, that the controversy could be adequately explained without using the offensive word.

Edwards gave the incident more visibility by posting the video on his Web site and setting a goal of raising $100,000 in "Coulter Cash" to "fight back against the politics of bigotry." An e-mail solicitation quickly exceeded that goal.

The idea, says Jonathan Prince, Edwards's deputy campaign manager, was "to make clear that kind of language is not acceptable in political discourse. It's important for the right wing to know people are going to stand up against this kind of hateful rhetoric."

Several Republican presidential candidates quickly distanced themselves. As the New York Times reported, Rudy Giuliani called the remarks "completely inappropriate," a spokesman for John McCain said they were "wildly inappropriate," and an aide to Mitt Romney called the comments "offensive."

Conservative bloggers joined the fray. "Yeah, that's just what CPAC needs -- an association with homophobia. Nice work, Ann," wrote Ed Morrissey of the Captain's Quarters blog. And Michelle Malkin said Coulter had committed "the equivalent of a rhetorical fragging -- an intentionally tossed verbal grenade that exploded in her own fellow ideological soldiers' tent," and that children should not be "exposed to that garbage."

Some liberal bloggers chided the press. "It took the media a while to actually see the story as news," wrote Americablog's John Aravosis, who is gay. "Why? First, because they think Coulter is a joke, and she is. But she's a joke who was recently on the cover of Time, who gets paid tens of thousands of dollars a speech, has written several best-sellers, and was the most anticipated speaker at the biggest and most important conservative conference of the year."

Coulter did not respond to a request for comment, but she said on Fox News last night that "the word I used has nothing to do with sexual preference. It is a schoolyard taunt." She dismissed a question from host Alan Colmes about conservative criticism of the remark, saying that "the same people become hysterical" at her jokes.

Asked if she would use a racial slur in a joke, Coulter said it was "semantic totalitarianism to compare everything to the N-word."

The author of such books as "Godless," "Treason" and "Slander," Coulter is known for pushing the boundaries of acceptable discourse. She was widely condemned last year when she called a politically active group of 9/11 widows "witches," saying: "I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much. . . . And by the way, how do we know their husbands weren't planning to divorce these harpies?"

In 2004, USA Today dropped Coulter as a convention columnist when she derided "the corn-fed, no make-up, natural fiber, no-bra needing, sandal-wearing, hirsute, somewhat fragrant hippie chick pie wagons they call 'women' at the Democratic National Convention."

National Review dropped Coulter's column in 2001 when she wrote after the Sept. 11 attacks: "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity." She responded by calling the magazine's editors "girly-boys."

A former Senate aide and MSNBC contributor, Coulter emerged from obscurity in 1998 with a book urging the impeachment of Bill Clinton, whom she called "crazy" and "like a serial killer."

During this decade of denunciations by Coulter, journalists have never quite resolved the question: Is what she says news?

"She's this willfully incendiary character, and it shouldn't be surprising when she says things that set off alarms," says David Folkenflik, National Public Radio's media reporter. "At the same time, she said what she said at a major gathering of the party faithful."

DWG
03-06-07, 08:40 AM
Ann says mean things and hurts our feelings; boo hoo!

:cry:

:banana: :D

HOLM
03-06-07, 09:01 AM
The washington post is sneaky liberal half the time... They are trying to say that there was not an almost instant reaction to Ann's Comments.. YEAH RIGHT....

The Gay groups always get a free pass... The anti war Groups .... Do all sorts of disgusting things... They get a free pass..... Like I posted above them dem's have been using the REAL N word for the last 150 years and nobody cares....

Ann will probably not win the hearts and minds of people sitting on the fence in the Communist vs Conservative debate... But it is nice to hear someone on the conservatives side that has not bowed to at the alter of "hate speech"

And BTW opposing civil rights movements and using the N word for years has not hurt the Dem's Black vote... I can't explain that one.....

Yeah Shenhan is capitalizing on her sons death... And that is BS... and Ann said what she really thought... John Edwards is one the these metro sexual types.. and she called him to the carpet on it.... and what do you know he responded like the little queer that he is......

As conservatives I know we should rise above all the stupidity that is the democratic party these days.... She is clearly not the person to lead the party....... I say... Speak for your heart and stop watering down the conversation... a good fist fight is good for the playground every once in a while....but it is nice to see some testosterone in the press.... Even if she is a woman.....

HOLM
03-06-07, 09:22 AM
"There was a fairly high barrier, in my opinion, to make it worthy of a story, because part of what she's about is trying to use shock language to entertain her audience and, who knows, maybe to sell books," says Adam Nagourney, chief political correspondent of the New York Times.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

AL GORE does this all the time and they don't have a problem with that up at the NYT's

They don't seem to have a problem with Howard stern doing it either...
Oh yeah thats right because morally degenerate people are easier to control

DWG
03-06-07, 09:25 AM
So basically, you're saying Ann is the only conservative pundit with a real set of balls! I agree 100%. She says what the rest would like to but are afraid of being called "mean spirited". :scared:

And she is not an official of the party, like john "eeeeeyah" dean; why does he get a pass on everything? So "give 'em hell" Ann.:mad:

Ya know, she's the kind of chick that could get you killed in a bar with her mouth,(she'd pi$$ off the biggest guy there and they'd kick your a$$) but still a lot of fun!:banana:

yellowwing
03-06-07, 09:39 AM
Bahh- She's a side show amusement with a political twist. Her schtick is no better than the smoking monkey or the swearing parrot.

People want to be entertained. Like folks tuning in each week to see what outrageous thing Gilligan was going to do each week.

Gilligan's Evil Twin on the entertainment circuit.