PDA

View Full Version : Mayor Anderson, your actions are hurting our troops

thedrifter
03-04-07, 09:18 AM
Mayor Anderson, your actions are hurting our troops
Amy Galvez
Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated:03/03/2007 03:02:26 PM MST

On a sunny afternoon last August, I looked out my window and saw the most horrifying sight imaginable. Two Marines were approaching my front door. My son was in Iraq and due to return home in about a month. He returned sooner, in a flag-draped coffin.

The day we buried our son, Salt Lake Mayor Rocky Anderson held an "anti-war" rally. The mayor continually states he supports the troops but not the war. How can anyone make themselves believe they are supporting the troops when they constantly undermine their mission?

Even as a Marine from Salt Lake City was being buried, Mayor Anderson couldn't stop and pay proper respect. Instead he, in essence, criticized the job my son and others had done and blasted their commander in chief, calling him a "dishonest, war-mongering, human rights violating president," according to an article by Heather May in The Salt Lake Tribune .

If you didn't know the difference, one might think by listening to Rocky Anderson, it was President Bush setting those improved explosive devices. Our enemies are not stupid.

They are emboldened and strengthened by the words of own government officials. Are more service men and women returning the way my son did, in a casket, as a result of our words and actions? I believe the answer is yes.

Mayor Anderson is again set to make national headlines by speaking out against the military's effort in Iraq, and the competency of President Bush at a rally supporting an impeachment resolution in Washington state.

The question of why we went to war is still being asked. Frankly, that's not even the issue now. The fact is we are at war in Iraq and we must win. The consequences of failing or losing go far beyond the borders of Iraq. The stability of the entire region is at stake. Mincing words does not change fact. Pulling out is losing.

At this point in time, Iraq minus an American military presence opens the floodgates for neighboring countries to move in and set up shop, inciting security, economic and human rights devastation on a huge scale we never thought possible.

I'm not just talking about Iraq's security. Making nice with people who want to kill you and destroy your way of life doesn't work. The perception of a weak American military, should we lose, will make our enemy stronger than we ever imagined.

Because we don't want to be at war anymore doesn't mean the war is over. Are we ready to face what follows, should we make our enemies victorious?

As a mom in Salt Lake City, even I understand the bigger picture of this war. How is it some of our elected officials don't?

* AMY GALVEZ is the mother of Marine Cpl. Adam Galvez, who was killed in action Aug. 20, 2006, in Iraq.

Ellie