PDA

View Full Version : Show gives disabled vet new home

thedrifter
03-03-07, 07:23 PM
Show gives disabled vet new home

The Associated Press
Posted : Saturday Mar 3, 2007 9:35:28 EST

LAWTON, Okla. — A television show has presented a new home to an Iraqi war veteran whose vertebrae were severed during an enemy attack three years ago.

Gene Westbrook, his wife Peggy, and their children received the home March 1 as part of the “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” television show.

More than 2,000 people, including Lt. Gov. Jari Askins, witnessed the unveiling of the home. ABC will air the show April 8.

When the family arrived on a city bus, people erupted into cheers, said Joslyn Wood, director of government and military affairs for the Lawton-Fort Sill Chamber of Commerce.

The Westbrooks’ old home was demolished Feb. 24 to make way for the new $600,000 home.

Gene Westbrook, a former Army staff sergeant, suffered a disabling injury during an enemy attack in Iraq three years ago.

Then in June 2006, an automobile accident left the Westbrooks’ son, James, 9, paralyzed below the hip.

The home was built with full access for the family’s two wheelchairs.

While the home was being built, the family enjoyed a vacation at an Alabama resort that specializes in handicap accessibility.

Lawton City Manager Larry Mitchell said he was impressed by the community’s spirit to build the home. He tried to volunteer Feb. 28 but was turned away because too many people had offered their skills.

“I guess I’m not a skilled-enough laborer,” he said, laughing. “I guess my reputation preceded me. I probably didn’t look much like an electrician or a finish carpenter, and my wife would have verified that.”

Mitchell said more than 24,000 signatures were gathered in the community in support of the Westbrook family being chosen for the show

Ellie