PDA

View Full Version : Best damn DI ever

jimusmc55
03-03-07, 04:04 PM
I want to take a few minutes to salute the best damn drill instructor the Corps ever had! Yup, I'm actually saying some good things about a man who made our lives miserable for nearly 12 weeks! From the minute our feet hit the deck until we lay our weary bones in the "rack", SSG Eugene Chism from Houston Texas, taught us what it meant to be a Marine. From a kick in the pants, a swagger stick up side of the head, to "Thump" call at 1800 hours every night, we learned. Oh boy, did we learn. We learned never to swat a sand flea (SSG Chism's word were, he has to eat, too!" or suffer the consequences..usually a burial even if we couldn't find the body. One of his favorite perversions was to announce "The smoking lamp is lit" then let us take one drag and then announce "the smoking lamp is out!" It's been nearly 52 years since I last saw SSG Eugene Chism, and if I saw him today, I'd still call him sir!:evilgrin:

davecerami275
03-03-07, 05:01 PM
sorry bro,,, have to disagree,,,

the best drill instructor ever to grace our Corps is SSGT Anderson of platoon 1073, graduation date 05 oct 1984

Marinewannabe15
03-04-07, 09:57 AM
My grandpa was a DI in san diego from 43-45...now he's the best DI i know...course i havent gone yet so i dont know many lol.

rkuipers67
07-23-08, 03:53 PM
I'm celerating 50th anniversary at PI Jan 5th 2009 and I had a Sgt Chism at my last duty station at Annapolis MD. He was a former DI. Quite a guy, could be!!:nerd:

Alpha1Devildog
07-23-08, 04:22 PM
I don't know guys, my favorites were S/Sgt R. L. Haycock, and Sgt. G. Bashline of Honor Platoon 1068. Not many that could hold a candle to these two. . . To them I say thank you, and Semper Fi. :flag::usmc:

jimusmc55
07-24-08, 05:17 PM
Was his first name Eugene? That was my DI's name and he was one tough Marine!

Alpha1Devildog
07-24-08, 05:37 PM
Was his first name Eugene? That was my DI's name and he was one tough Marine!

I'm sorry Sir, which name/DI are you referring to?

jimusmc55
07-24-08, 06:20 PM
That was supposed to go to rkuipers67...sorry!

jimusmc55
07-24-08, 06:21 PM
for rkuipers67....was his first name Eugene and do you have any pictures?

temarti
07-24-08, 06:24 PM
good to go running into him after 53yrs. How ever I have to say it

"you must out of your mind, maybe on Gilligan's Island, the best SDI on this Island is SDI SSgt. Harrison"

As cheesy as it sounds now it was motivating to say then......

rkuipers67
07-25-08, 06:52 AM
can't remember his first name. Physically he was a big man with a sence of humor. If I remember he was heading back to SC just before I got out in late 62. I've got every picture and document of my time in the Core & will investigate more.

rkuipers67
07-25-08, 06:53 AM
:thumbup:
can't remember his first name. Physically he was a big man with a sence of humor. If I remember he was heading back to SC just before I got out in late 62. I've got every picture and document of my time in the Core & will investigate more.

dpawson
08-11-08, 07:57 PM
I don't know Devil Dogs, SDI Ssgt Frank, DI Sgt Pichockey, and DI Sgt Vick were the **** on PI for Plt 2043 in 1985.

darkgreen0311
08-11-08, 08:23 PM
Negative, my fellow Devil Dogs the best D.I ever was SSGT Price. Platoon 1025 at MCRD San Diego 1982.

:marine:SEMPER FI 4 LIFE

bootlace15
08-11-08, 08:44 PM
Horsesh!t!!!!!!!! The best DI's on Parris Island were Sgt PA Pinel,Sgt PF Hartley and Sgt LR Laird Plt 369 1970

bootlace15 out

silverdollar
08-12-08, 08:35 AM
Negative, my fellow Devil Dogs the best D.I ever was SSGT Price. Platoon 1025 at MCRD San Diego 1982.

I didn`t know that San Diego had male DIs.:D

silverdollar
08-12-08, 08:38 AM

I didn`t know that San Diego had male DIs.:D

CplAllen
08-22-08, 12:22 PM
Negative boys! The best D.I. on the planet was D.I. Sgt. Knapp, plt 2106, 1998. One awesome SOB!

AL49BGN
08-22-08, 12:53 PM
Sorry Devil Dogs,the Best SDI Was SSGT.Clancy Plt1085 Parris Island,SC 1986.

usmc23
08-29-08, 09:00 AM
S/ DI SSgt Vanslik Platoon 2090 , Graduation Date; Nov. 6th, 1989 2nd Bn, Fox Company, MCRD Parris Island, was and always will be the best Senior Drill Instructor in the Corps. :evilgrin:

krc0604
08-29-08, 09:23 AM
Have to Disagree... Drill instructor Sgt. Blakeburn. PLT.3075 1981

sscjoe
08-29-08, 10:11 AM
You are all wrong. The best DI's Parris Island ever saw were S/Sgt Warren, Sgt Hayes and Sgt Ensminger 3rd Bn. Plt 3028- Grad. 02/26/76

MGySgtSki
08-29-08, 10:25 AM
I think I'm beginning to see a trend here....

Give it up for S/DI SSgt Owen :evilgrin:, Plt 2026, April 1988, MCRD Parris Island!!

Semper Fi

Chumley
08-29-08, 10:30 AM
Core [/B]& will investigate more.

I won't usually adjust another Marine's grammar and punctuation (poolies, yes), but this one needs to be addressed.
SFi
C

Chumley
08-29-08, 10:36 AM
Tougher than leather
Stronger than steel
We stick together 'cause we are real
We're not about chumps
We're not about suckers
We are a bunch of mean mother f*ckers
We'll kill you once
We'll kill you twice
In case you haven't heard we're cold as ice
Shock Troop
Devil Dog
Blood sucking War Machines
We are rough
We are tough
We kick a*s and can't get enough
Our Senior Drill Instructor is SSgt Jones
The best on the Island
You got that?
OOORAH
(Yeah I know - looks dumb in type, but sounds perfect VERY LOUD )

SlingerDun
08-29-08, 04:51 PM
Well, the guy i had slated for "Honor DI" or UberMarine' :evilgrin:(town guy from NJ) somewhere during third phase found himself in a scuff as the secretary told me; was hoisted off the deck by his starched lapels and pinned up against the duty hut bulkhead by the smaller grittier DI :evilgrin:(ranch kid from MT) and did nothing to resist. Damnhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif hehehe

--->Dave

corky0566
08-30-08, 05:47 PM
Have you corresponded with your former D.I. lately? How many have located their D.I. and had a reunion?

Loum
09-11-08, 07:34 AM
Sgt Herring Paris Island 1962 Platoon 104, one tough Marine and the most squared away Marine I ever met with the exception of Sgt Maj Nelson of Ft Wayne. The other two Sgt Stamper and Staff Sgt McIntyre were awesome too

ldellaperuta
09-11-08, 07:52 AM
Having served with a number of DIs I can tell you this: None would ever want you to call him the best. He would just want to know that he made good Marines.

Semper Fi.

Dick Jennings
10-04-08, 09:33 PM
Best Drill Instructor ("never call me a DI") was Corporal Johnson, Platoon 332, Parris Island 1963. He was originally from Philadelphia, don't remember his first name but was one of the meanest men I ever met but he'd be the first one I'd want in my fox hole.

Old Marine
10-04-08, 10:46 PM
Every D.I. has a first name and it is Drill Instructor and do not forget it.

robertleon
10-29-08, 05:30 PM
I don't know guys, my favorites were S/Sgt R. L. Haycock, and Sgt. G. Bashline of Honor Platoon 1068. Not many that could hold a candle to these two. . . To them I say thank you, and Semper Fi. :flag::usmc:
Hey, those names sound very familar to me. Sgt. Bashline choked me and was a dirty dog, but did get us ready. Sgt. Haycock was the "good cop". Who are you Alpha?

Vintage
10-30-08, 10:09 PM
I dont know but I would have to say SSGT Marsh , I hated that prick with a passion , I guess he did it for a reason , I was in the "classroom" alot , I got so fit and in shape that he busted nut just trying get me and several others with his exercises at the very end , didnt work , we beat him! He didnt even stick around at graduation , I wanted to say thanks , he (and the Corps ) changed my life!

Platoon 1033 1984 (Hollywood Marine)

Bozooka
11-19-08, 12:02 PM
The BEST DI and SDI on Parris Island is MY SON SSGT Vesely .. He Just graduated his last Platoon 10/24 Platoon 2072 Semper-Fi my son and fellow Marines..

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=275&pictureid=2100

SGT7477
11-19-08, 02:39 PM
SSGT Case SDI platoon 1064 Honor platoon 1974, OOHRAH.

SgtThrasher
11-19-08, 04:07 PM
All 3 were the best.Sgt R.A Schaad(retired Sgt Major).
Sgt J.C.Davis(retired Sgt Major),Cpl R.K.Crothers (medically retired Gy Sgt).1965 Sept-Dec 1st Battalion Platoon 195.
Senior Drill Instructor Schaad was the epitome of a Marine
built like a tank and mean,but professional.The junior DI'S
would jerk a knot in your tail and were mean too,But Sgt Schaad was brutal ,but we loved them.They knew most of us were going to Vietnam and wanted us ready and trained us accordingly.The 2nd Battalion Drill Comp Trophy was named
in honor of Sgt Schaad who died along with 6 others in a Van
accident going to a masonic Lodge function ~~Feb 16 1995.
I had the privilege to phone my two junior DI'S ,I've been
working on a reunion.

Sgt Jim
11-19-08, 06:00 PM
Everyone here is right about there DI,s,we are all here because of them.From the a$$ kicking to PTing our butts off.They did their job right,OOOOOOORRRRAAAAHHHHH.

Chumley
11-19-08, 06:25 PM
S/ DI SSgt Vanslik Platoon 2090 , Graduation Date; Nov. 6th, 1989 2nd Bn, Fox Company, MCRD Parris Island, was and always will be the best Senior Drill Instructor in the Corps. :evilgrin:

USMC23,

You MUST be mistaken. You were one series too late to have had the priviledge of being trained by the best Senior DI of the USMC, SSgt Jones, Plt 2056, Graduation 890811 2nd Bn, Fox Co., MCRD PI.

SFi
C

Marine84
11-19-08, 06:44 PM
Ya'll ain't had nothing til you have a WOMAN DI in your grill! OOOOOOOOOOOO DAWG! Face all red, veins popped out in the neck and face, yelling (LOUDLY!) and telling you how un-fking-worthy you are to wear HER uniform. I would always make it through the moment thinking to myself "I don't want to wear YOUR uniform, I want MY own!".

usmc23
11-20-08, 01:08 AM
USMC23,

You MUST be mistaken. You were one series too late to have had the priviledge of being trained by the best Senior DI of the USMC, SSgt Jones, Plt 2056, Graduation 890811 2nd Bn, Fox Co., MCRD PI.

SFi
C

You graduated 3 days after I got to PI, Devil Dog, Semper Fi. Actually they are all the best Drill Instructors for making us what we are today.

THAT AINT IT
11-20-08, 10:13 AM
Ya'll ain't had nothing til you have a WOMAN DI in your grill! OOOOOOOOOOOO DAWG! Face all red, veins popped out in the neck and face, yelling (LOUDLY!) and telling you how un-fking-worthy you are to wear HER uniform. I would always make it through the moment thinking to myself "I don't want to wear YOUR uniform, I want MY own!".

Haha yeah I'm with you on that one. The best was when they told us that we didn't rate a voice at all...good times. We went through a whole day of trying to sound off with our mouths closed. But anyways, my series had some bad ass drill instructors. Senior Drill Instructor SSgt Flowers was a drill machine. When she had duty all we would do before square-away time was pop sticks and march around the squad bay practicing indoor drill cards. Drill Instructor SSgt Gonzales liked us to dry scuzz and wet scuzz the deck...for 3 hours. And finally, the one that broke me and rebuilt me, Drill Instructor SSgt Macea. The PT machine that would quarterdeck us until we almost died. She was the master of f*ck-f*ck games. She made us throw everything we had in our foot lockers in the middle of the squad bay and then she made us take our names off our foot lockers and stack those in the middle. Then we had 30 minutes to find our foot locker and one of everything that was thrown in the middle, if it was ours or not.
Good times...

ROTORORDY
12-02-08, 06:28 PM
SSgt Hernadez-Burrito kill hat for Platoon 3203 India Company MCRD San Diego, one of the Toughest little cusses ever that i have had the privilege to meet.:flag::no:

dmellow45
12-30-08, 02:23 PM
this can go on forever and ever... every marine is gonna say his di was the best.
as for me it was gysgt bauman, sdi, 1005 c co 1rtb

dmellow45
12-30-08, 02:24 PM
...and that was Parris Island! oohrah

jimusmc55
01-01-09, 06:46 PM
SSG Eugene Chism was my DI's name, and if he were still alive and we met, I'd still call him sir!

tankle104
01-01-09, 07:37 PM
:banana:i cant believe that someone would disrespect the marines like this.. unbelievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbRppL8nc0s&feature=channel_page

oifvet23
01-01-09, 09:51 PM
I didn't have one of the best, I had four. SDI SSGT Chestnut, DI SSGT Malone, DI SSGT Brandon, and DI SSGT Mitchell. Plt.1022 1st Bn, Alpha Co, MCRD PISC. 000309

commdog7
01-01-09, 10:17 PM
Haha yeah I'm with you on that one. The best was when they told us that we didn't rate a voice at all...good times. We went through a whole day of trying to sound off with our mouths closed. But anyways, my series had some bad ass drill instructors. Senior Drill Instructor SSgt Flowers was a drill machine. When she had duty all we would do before square-away time was pop sticks and march around the squad bay practicing indoor drill cards. Drill Instructor SSgt Gonzales liked us to dry scuzz and wet scuzz the deck...for 3 hours. And finally, the one that broke me and rebuilt me, Drill Instructor SSgt Macea. The PT machine that would quarterdeck us until we almost died. She was the master of f*ck-f*ck games. She made us throw everything we had in our foot lockers in the middle of the squad bay and then she made us take our names off our foot lockers and stack those in the middle. Then we had 30 minutes to find our foot locker and one of everything that was thrown in the middle, if it was ours or not.
Good times...

I would have to agree, female Drill Instructors are the hardest of them all. But I think everyone on this thread is wrong, the best Marine Drill Instructor is Staff Sergeant Garbiso. She was the only one who could break me down, God Bless her. She is a Marine's Marine. I am priviledged to have been trained by such an awesome Marine.

dmellow45
01-02-09, 12:27 PM
i think females are the worse to a male recruit, just becuz of the psychological thing. i think female di s are the same to female recruits as males are to male recruits.

tripledog
01-04-09, 09:11 PM
You know this thread brings back memories..................................

I dont know if this guy was the best in the Corps, but he was the best I ever had.
R.D. AMOS, DI, USMCRD 1960-1961. He is really the only name that I remember and believe me, it is a name I will NEVER FORGET, and one I think of constantly and have looked for over the years to thank him in person.

He was a real Marine, treated me like **** UNTIL graduation day. What a man !! I can honestly say, I owe just about everything I turned out to be, I owe to HIM.

So, Thank you Sgt Amos.

hvmech
01-04-09, 09:29 PM
Tinson, Paul Drake
Sgt MCRD Parris Island
2nd Bn K Co Plt 2008
Grad: 12/29/1965

KIA--Hue City, RVN 2/6/1968 outside the University w/ F Co. 2/5 (SSgt at time).
ONE HELL OF A DI AND A MARINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Semper Fi

MSullivan
06-14-09, 07:29 PM
:tank:
I would have to say that SSGT Boxley and SGGT Palmer as well as Sgt Hafer where the best damn DI's. Straightened my 17 year old defiant self into a Marine and a Man.

2nd Battalion Fox Co Platoon 2090 MCRD Sand Diego Oct 1978 to Jan 1979

dmellow45
06-17-09, 10:15 PM
:tank:
I would have to say that SSGT Boxley and SGGT Palmer as well as Sgt Hafer where the best damn DI's. Straightened my 17 year old defiant self into a Marine and a Man.

2nd Battalion Fox Co Platoon 2090 MCRD Sand Diego Oct 1978 to Jan 1979

i knew a ssgt palmer 2nd bn, but this is almost 20 years later, we refer to him as tazmanian devil

Andy Saunders
07-03-09, 03:17 PM
You Jarheads have it all wrong! The best Gawd Damn DI's to ever grace the Parade Deck at Parris Island 1st Battalion A Co Plt 1024 761228-770322 Honor Plt we took every competition there was, due to these 3 of the Finest
Sr. DI SSgt Fitzgerald - Viet Nam Huey Gunner
Ast DI SSgt (Wild Bill) Carpenter - Nam Vet Radioman
Ast DI Cpl Oldham - One Stone cold killing machine

Trucrimsongold
07-15-09, 09:58 AM
The best Drill Instructor to ever walk the face of the earth. Was the junior "heavy" back in 1987 3rd Battalion India Company #3049 "Staff Sgt Rew". It's funny because I was a fat body, though I was just a college football linebacker who sure had fat but lifted everday also and I lost like 78 pounds. I saw Rew later down the road when I was in 29 Palms working out at that fabulous gym and though i was a "salt" by then it was like I was a kid all over, dumbfounded and couldn't even talk. He wass as cool as they come and remembered me well. Told me I should become a DI after what he knows I accomplished. Good Marine and I hope he's happy in life.

Trucrimsongold
07-15-09, 10:03 AM
...and that was Parris Island! oohrah

Third Herd "I" comp for me...and yeah, my DI was the best. My senior sucked though. We all admired the other platoons senior Gunny Grace. He was on the cover of a book called "Boot" that was out back then in 1987.

Danny C Smith
07-21-09, 05:58 PM
These MEN were absolute, complete freaking lunatics:evilgrin:
I was in fear for my life at all times and at the same time
loved them all.

SDI. Ssgt. Gaither. = Dad, but not when he was there!
DI. Sgt. Cruz. = Eyeballs biyotches!!!
DI. Sgt. Eldridge. = We come up hard in Louisiana.(very evil grin)
DI. Sgt. Seyers. = You are ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!

These MEN took a bunch of non hackers and in just 12 weeks
made MARINES!
Good God I thought they were nuts and I was right. Or thought I was.

Met Sgt. Cruz in San Onofrey, ITS. Scared the pi$$ out of me.
He offered his hand and said, " Hi Smith, you doing ok?"
We actually had a good conversation. I kept calling him Sir.
Met Ssgt. Gaither there too at the phone station.
I was behind him in line for the call to Mom.
He was on the horn and he hung up and turned around and
said "Smith" with that not to evil smile, but evil enough.
Thought my skivvies were done for but he just smiled and
said "how"s it go'in and shook my hand.
Never saw the others again but wish I had.
God bless the Men that made us what we are:evilgrin:
Nough said.
Smith D C Plt. 1078 MCRDSD. July 86-Oct 86.
Semper Fi.:usmc:

Skosh59
07-21-09, 06:37 PM
I don't want to argue but the best ever was SSgt. G.R.Ayers Pltoon 117 PI 1959.:evilgrin:

commdog7
07-21-09, 08:41 PM
Just curious, why isn't there a thread for the 'Best Damn Recruiter Ever'? They were the "nice" ones on our journey to earning the title.

I do have much more respect for my DI's than my recruiters, I'm just trying to spark some thought.

Skosh59
07-22-09, 06:45 AM
Just curious, why isn't there a thread for the 'Best Damn Recruiter Ever'? They were the "nice" ones on our journey to earning the title.

I don't have any clue about my recruiter, I don't even know his name or rank. All he did was sign me up.:(

hypnotist
08-09-09, 10:39 PM
plt 279 San Diego 1957 SSGT Kania and Sgt. Jerry welch were the best ever DI's that ever pushed recruits around the grinder.. bar none...

riceke
08-11-09, 08:19 AM
Most of you Marines are too young to remember this Drill Instructor. He was assigned as a DI at Parris Island 2nd Btn 1962-1964. He wasn't my Drill Instructor but was in the next squad bay during my boot camp. The reason I put him up for the best DI is not only his duty as a DI but what came afterward in Viet Nam. His heroic action in VN awarded him the Medal of Honor. His heroics are far to much for me to print here but you can read about him at ********************* or "googled" Medal of Honors receipients. He retired a Captain but if there's one Marine who exemplified what we stand for it is him. Please take a look at his profile...it will make you proud to be a Marine.

Dick Jennings
08-11-09, 09:18 AM
I was in the 3rd Battalion in 1963 platoon 332. What was the name of your DI?:flag::iwo:

riceke
08-11-09, 09:23 AM
Dick...my SDI was Ssgt Ferrari, Cpl Corbit, Cpl Hoffman and one other I can't remember. We were @nd Btln K Co.

dmellow45
08-11-09, 10:14 PM
this is funny, of course we are all gonna say ours was the best, how bout this one, i think that perhaps one of the dis from another plt was better then both of mine.
also i was dropped for illness and my second sdi was a complete ****bag in comparison to my first.

ronr418
08-18-09, 10:55 PM
Sorry to bust your bubbles Marines, but the best DI was Senior Drill Instructor SSgt Phillips, PLT. 3051, H Co. 3rd Batt. Parris Island MCRD.:iwo:

ronr418
08-18-09, 10:56 PM
Apr 15 to Jul 10 1983

ronr418
08-18-09, 11:09 PM
i knew a ssgt palmer 2nd bn, but this is almost 20 years later, we refer to him as tazmanian devil
I had a DI named SGT. Walker, we called him Darth Vader. He was pure evil but if I was to see him today I would shake his hand and thanked him for helping to become a Marine.:iwo:

Trucrimsongold
08-19-09, 10:28 AM
I don't have any clue about my recruiter, I don't even know his name or rank. All he did was sign me up.:(
EXACTLY...like i said somewhere in here earlier mine was actually a staff sgt WM named Dewitt..she didn't have to sell me on any of it..i was ready to go when I signed up..The one good thing though she did was instead of letting me do what I thought I first wanted to do and go straight 03 she suggested "security forces" because it guaranteed me a break from a full time gig with a line company and offered me a chance at sea duty to see the world or Barracks duty over seas dependending on my security clearance level...I had a decent background so I got to do sea duty and tour the Med before I went to a Heavy Guns Platoon then on to A co..If she hadn't have done that I probably would have spent my whole enlistment at Geiger though I still would have been a 0331 vs a 0311, had i made NCO while i was in I know i would have reinlisted but it was hard at the time in the infantry even with taking all the MCI courses so im glad i got a to go all the places I did within my regular four years. She did make that possible.

ridingcrops
08-23-09, 08:12 PM
I hate to burst your bubbles but the best DIs n the Corps where Gunny Mcglaughlin and S/Sgts Sterling and Napier from platoon 1082, San Diego 1969. These guys were tops and taught us how to go from boys to being Marines.

Englishts
11-11-11, 10:58 PM
Tinson, Paul Drake
Sgt MCRD Parris Island
2nd Bn K Co Plt 2008
Grad: 12/29/1965

KIA--Hue City, RVN 2/6/1968 outside the University w/ F Co. 2/5 (SSgt at time).
ONE HELL OF A DI AND A MARINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Semper Fi

Paul Drake Tinson was my father. He died 4 months after I was born. We never met.

Loum
11-12-11, 05:20 AM
Sgt Herring ( a squared away black DI) & Sgt Stamper another good DI, Plt 104 Paris Island 1962

jamielang1951
11-12-11, 06:01 AM
I beg to disagree :)
S/Sgt Dower, Platoon 3107 MCRDSD, 1969 was the best.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/jamielang1951/1969MCRDSanDiegoPlatoon3107-1.jpg
Second row, second photo,
On the left is S/Sgt. Dower, best DI in the Marine Corps.
On the right is S/Sgt. Blankenship, meanest g*d damn DI in the Marine Corps.
And yes, that's me in two of those.

S/Sgt Dower was so good they put him in a beer commercial. I guess you could say he really was a "Hollywood" Marine.;)
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-QnmKXpg8kk?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

FistFu68
11-12-11, 06:07 AM
:beer: Sorry too Bust Your Chops Ladies...But without a Doubt Tha Best D.I.Evaaaa...Was My MaMa...She wore Combat Boot's was tougher than a WoodPeckers Lip's and Would not take any Chit from Any Man...Especially My PaPa Who was a Lifer before You were Born...Chit She even had Permission from All tha other Mothers on Base too Whip their Kid's Asses to,If they were outta Line...Then She Whipped My Ass just for Practice...2nd would Be My Plt.Sgt.in Nam...S/SGT.Karl G.Taylor (CMOH) 8 Dec.68,He was a D.I...At Quantico knocking tha Chit outta OSSIFER's He was 2nd.too NONE!!! SEMPER FI :beer: :iwo:

DinkyDauMarine
11-12-11, 10:28 AM
Please be advised. Best Drill Instructor was Ssgt Baines. Platoon 392 MCRD San Diego June 67-August 67, Honor Platoon. In hand to hand going up against each other, round Robin he recognized I was Martial Artist. As supernumery of the guard with him he showed me things that I still retain 44 years later. His cadence is what I still mimic to this day. He was what squared away is all about. Would love to see him now and I would still ask permission to speak

jamielang1951
11-12-11, 11:12 AM
Dinky Dau!! No problem knowing where you spent some time at brother.;)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/jamielang1951/USMC%20Photos/SemperFibest.gif
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/jamielang1951/USMC%20Photos/EGAa0a.gif

Dick Jennings
11-13-11, 10:28 AM
All I remember is a Corporal Johnson. About 5'7" and 185 of pure HELL. He was probably the meanest Marine I ever met and one who you'd lay down your life for and he's lay down his life for any Marine. Hopefully he's still with us but if not "See you on the otherside." Semper Fi

beebster
07-11-13, 10:52 PM
hey marine, i was in your series platoon 1078
that was the summer of the olympics and the guy that went into mcdonalds and killed alll those people .
that massacre occured on july 18th the 2nd day we were there.

Itselliott
08-09-13, 08:43 AM
I hate to burst your bubbles but the best DIs n the Corps where Gunny Mcglaughlin and S/Sgts Sterling and Napier from platoon 1082, San Diego 1969. These guys were tops and taught us how to go from boys to being Marines.

How do you guys remember that stuff? I can see their faces, Actually remember the cadence calls. I recall their toughness and believe it,....kindness. They taught me lessons that have lasted 44 years to-date...................not the least of which is to GET UP, NEVER QUIT when my ass is kicked.
But the names?..........Sgt York (for real) is the best I can do.
MCRD San Deigo Dec 1969 Plt 2192

Old Marine
08-09-13, 06:22 PM
You sure it was not Sgt. YORDT? Little short guy, first name was Drill Instructor.

SGT7477
08-09-13, 09:09 PM
SSgt Case Platoon 1064 Honor Platoon, Viking Platoon being most came from Minn. used us North Dakota and South Dakota boys to fill in the state platoon, SSgt Case said the DI's just loved having a platoon that came from the same area, was very proud of us as we were of him, Semper Fidelis.

Itselliott
08-09-13, 09:24 PM
You sure it was not Sgt. YORDT? Little short guy, first name was Drill Instructor.

Ya know, I don't know where that came from..........My apologies to Drill Instructor Sgt.Gary Yarburough..........he was the junior instructor of the 3 for Plt.#2192