PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Help!!!!

JAubert
03-03-07, 12:13 PM
I need you guys help. I have wanted to be a Marine since I knew what one was! I recently went to meps to have a physical andsign my contract and swear in, etc. When I was there I was medically disqualified from joining the Marines. However the reasone they gave me for the dq was because I had a surgery called a tympanoplasty on my ears. at this website... http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/intmedstandards/blears.htm it says that my surgery, if succesful (which it was) is not a disqualification.. If anyone knows if there is some kind of appeals process or anyway you know that i can still join, I would very much appreciate it!
Thank you for your help
--Jeremy Aubert
junitnht@hotmail.com

YLDNDN6
03-03-07, 01:49 PM
Jeremy,
The only thing I can think of is the potential for hearing loss...did you have a hearing test as part of your MEPS experience, or did they just look at your paperwork and send you home??? If a hearing test was administered and you failed it, I could see that as a valid reason to pass on you, but then again, I'm no doctor...good luck with this...hope you can get it straightened out!

jinelson
03-03-07, 03:14 PM
Dont ever give up - fight for your chance to be one of the few!

Jim

JAubert
03-03-07, 03:37 PM
My hearing test at meps said my hearing was perfect...they even made me get a hearing test a couple of days before from a private doctor to even go to meps....that hearing test was also perfect. I also passed every other part of the meps physical

And dont worry, I am willing to fight this for my chance to become a Marine
--Jeremy

SkilletsUSMC
03-03-07, 05:23 PM
If you really want in, Im thinking you will get it Just like it was said before, dont give up. Just plan on losing some of what you do have. **** man... Ive got almost 40% hearing loss now. Good luck.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-03-07, 06:37 PM
Talk to your recruiter about the waiver process. My guess is that the doctor at MEPS wasn't aware of the information that you have found. Senior people in the chain of command would be able to set the situation straight and allow you to continue the process of becoming a Marine.

Sadly, it will take some time to get it done. They will be cautious to ensure nothing is done wrong and that nothing is done to allow someone to enter the military that is not physically able to do so.

slowrider
03-03-07, 06:38 PM
Hang in there and keep trying Jeremy,
Not to make light of your sittuation,But I have whats known as selective hearing. Eever since I have been married ( 23 years now ) I seem to never be able to hear anything my wife tells me to do.LMAO
Simper Fi

rvillac2
03-04-07, 02:40 AM
How recent was your surgery? If your eardrum isn't finished healing, that may be the reason for the DQ. You're going to be in the sand, mud and water during bootcamp. There's no time to put in any ear protection to keep from getting an inner ear infection.
(Note: you can still have near perfect hearing with a ruptured eardrum, especially when you're young.)

Those sand fleas might want to camp out in that inner ear, too. ; )

Keep at it. If it was truly a successful repair, you should be eligible to get in.
Good luck,
Sgt. V

JAubert
03-04-07, 08:32 AM
the surgery was in 2002, so its not like it was a couple months ago or something. i think any healing thats gonna happen has probably happened already, but then again im no doctor

JAubert
03-05-07, 10:48 AM
well i just got off the phone with my recruiter and he said that i am definetely disqualified and i cant get a waiver for this. he said the Marine Corps now disqualify for this surgery, successful or not.
Im trying not to give up like you guys said, but i dont think i have any chance of getting in.
any input/advice is appreciated
--JAubert

USMCmailman
03-05-07, 11:15 AM
Go to a different recruiter!!!!!