PDA

View Full Version : USS Pearl Harbor welcomes Japan Ground Self Defense Force as part of Operation Ironfi

thedrifter
03-02-07, 07:15 PM
AROUND THE NAVY

Friday, March 02, 2007

By MC3 Flavia Marin - USS Pearl Harbor

USS Pearl Harbor welcomes Japan Ground Self Defense Force as part of Operation Ironfist

USS PEARL HARBOR, At Sea - USS Pearl Harbor (LSD 52) opened its hatches to more than 170 Japan Ground Self Defense Force (JGSDF) service members, including 37 officers, in support of Operation Iron Fist, Feb. 10.

Pearl Harbor Executive Officer, Lt. Cmdr. Daniel Caldwell broke bread with distinguished guests, including JGSDF Commanding General of the 8th Western Army, Lt. Gen. Takeshi Sakai, discussing crucial shipboard operation and training, both here and abroad.

"This visit expresses the immense way things have changed over the years," said, Caldwell. "Sitting down with our visitors, I learned how great of an alliance we really do share with Japan today. Training with them is crucial to improving the capabilities of both nations."

After showing the JGSDF personnel their new home for the next week with tours of the flight deck, bridge, mess decks and VTA, Feb. 10 and 11, the ship got underway Feb 12.

Pearl Harbor Sailors and Camp Pendleton, Calif., Marines came together to illustrate the importance of teamwork to JGSDF soldiers, who put their training to good use during Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC) and Combat Rubber Reconnaissance Craft (CRRC) launches at sea.

"It makes me so proud to see the troops actually execute what they've been training so hard for," said Staff Sgt. M. J. Garza, an instructor at Expeditionary Warfare Training Group, Pacific at Camp Pendleton.

"This is a tough course, even for our Marines. I was impressed at how well the JGSDF grabbed the knowledge, despite the language barrier. I have no doubt in my mind that they are ready for anything in the future," Garza said.

The JGSDF have been training intensely with the Marines since the beginning of 2007. The troops performed numerous exercises preparing for this trip, from swim qualifications to days of survival instruction.

The officers participated in Amphibious Staff Training, where they learned skills needed to take ground if necessary.

"The JGSDF is strictly a defensive force," Lt. Cmdr. Paul Sumagaysay, Navy Liaison for 1st Marine Expeditionary Unit, Camp Pendleton. "They are simply training for the skills needed in case they have to protect their islands someday."

Pearl Harbor and its crew carefully anticipated every need the JGSDF may have during their visit, including arrows on bulkheads in Japanese writing, directing them to the galley, berthing, medical and weather decks.

"The JGSDF soldiers are really nice people," said Seaman Nick Valletta, 19 of Rochester, N.Y. "The language gap doesn't slow me down. There's just a lot of hand signaling and smiling involved."

Following the combined training with Sailors and Marines, the JGSDF will return to Camp Pendleton briefly for a farewell ceremony Feb. 16 before finally returning to Japan.

"Iron Fist is an excellent opportunity to not only show the JGSDF the importance of integrating landing forces, but also to continue our ship's own routine training for maintaining its utmost readiness," said Pearl Harbor Commanding Officer, Cmdr. Victor Cooper.

Ellie