PDA

View Full Version : Running with weights.

CJA
03-02-07, 07:13 PM
I've recently been looking into buying a running vest where you can put weight onto it, to get used to carrying weight and running.

Now the only ones I've found are upwards of $120 dollars, and that made me curious. Could anyone point me in the direction of a website where I could buy a packback similar to what I'll be wearing at boot camp? Then I could just throw a sandbag or something (suggestions welcome) to add some weight.

Thanks

hump_drop
03-02-07, 08:28 PM
Go to an Army surplus store and get yourself a medium ALICE pack, and make sure it has straps. If it comes with a frame, great. If not, buy one.

Allen870922
03-02-07, 11:09 PM
http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/0006.html

Theres an ALICE pack for you. They use MOLLY packs in boot now. Can't find one of them though. But ALICE pack is good enough. I've got one.

SmokeyBandit
03-03-07, 01:57 PM
I just went to wal-mart and for 20 bucks bought a ruck sack. Worked for me!

YLDNDN6
03-03-07, 01:57 PM
The trick is to get something that is in no way comfortable, convenient, or expensive. Load it with canned goods, dirt, or rocks. Run, jump, walk, sit, lay, sleep with this thing on your back. When you get to boot, your gear will feel like a million bucks. Prepare yourself for the worst, and what you get will always seem better than it is...

USMC90
03-03-07, 08:35 PM
I've heard it's bad to run with those things on if your not in boot as it can mess up your back.

CJA
03-04-07, 10:24 AM
I bought the ALICE backpack allen, thanks a lot for the link.

USMC90, where did you hear it from and why would it mess up my back moreso here than at boot camp?

USMC90
03-04-07, 03:16 PM
USMC90, where did you hear it from and why would it mess up my back moreso here than at boot camp?

I read it on militaryphotos by some Soldiers and Marines. What I was trying to say is that it would suck to F your back up before you even hit the MCRD.. right? I sure as hell wouldn't want that. So I guess what I'm really getting at is don't take those risks... Let the Drill Instructors do that. :D

CJA
03-04-07, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I probably will stay away from running with it.

Just walking a ton of miles with it on will help me build leg muscle as well.

yellowwing
03-04-07, 08:16 PM
We had a Gunny in 86 that ran with an Alice pack loaded with a jerry can of water. I guess he was going for the raw cardio benefit.

We though he was a total maniac for running 10k with 40 pounds of water strapped to his back. Until we learned that he trained and built up to a full can. Still a hard core Marine. Gunny gave us classes on the latest Soviet tactical threat.

CJA
03-04-07, 09:56 PM
Should I literally put rocks in the pack? Or what else would yall suggest to add some weight?

ZSKI
03-04-07, 10:31 PM
Just run with the empty pack on and keep putting **** in it. Doesn't matter what ya put.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-04-07, 10:44 PM
Start light. Your body needs time to adapt to the new weight. If you go too heavy too quickly you could end up with shin splints and/or stress fractures. I would start with something that weighed about 10 pounds, and work up from there.

CJA
03-04-07, 10:53 PM
Sounds good, can't wait to start using it.