PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Support?

snowman293
03-02-07, 06:37 PM
I know this is a question I should ask my recruiter but does anyone know what job duties are involved with Aviation Support? Or even better is there any Marines out there with this MOS?

davblay
03-02-07, 06:43 PM
There are a ton of mos's for aviation support. Just remember that support means aiding the aviators! Mechanics, computers, fuel, etc. I was in Aviation Support in The NAM as a 1341, engineer equipment mechanic. I know other marines will be more helpful to you, Semper Fi

snowman293
03-02-07, 06:45 PM
Yea my recruiter told me it was something to do with firefighting or being an emt at the air bases.

davblay
03-02-07, 06:59 PM
Like I said, wannabe, it covers a lot of mos's! I'm sure you will be told what to expect when you need to know, trust me. You will be trained in the mos best suited to your GT score on the ASVAB. That and the type of unit your entering, of course if you are going active duty, then that don't apply. Ask your recruiter and read your contract, it should give you some idea of what your basic mos will be.

davblay
03-02-07, 07:00 PM
By the way, the NAVY supplies medical support, or at least they used to.

deppen
03-02-07, 07:47 PM
Snowman293,

Hey Big dog, I'm an Aviation Marine. Its been great!!!! In an airwing unit your going to go allot of cool places. My last unit was VMFA-212 in Iwakuni Japan, I was the Operations Chief (MOS 7041), and I got to see all the Aviation support MOS in my unit. The places I got to go were the following(and they paid me extra to go to these places):

Tindall & Darwin Australia (twice)- Lived in cool underground bunkers.

Korea (once)- Best Deployment I was ever on, in a tent, in the cold, its like camping but on steroids....staying up late talking with my Marines that worked for me in our tent, there was about 20 of us in one.

Thailand-and we had our own maids to clean our rooms and do our laundry.(once for an exercise and I went there w/my wife for a two week vacation)
Phillippines

Taiwan (travel through there on vacation to thailand)

Okinawa (3X)- They gave us a day off to go on a PME Trip(Professional Military Education) to an underground hospital the Japanese used during WWII.

and check this out, I was even taking college online while going on exercises to the above places. My OIC made sure I had internet so I could work toward my degree. Even cooler is every time we went to Okinawa my wife flew down and they gave me a 96 (Friday through Monday off) to spend some time with my wife. And I'm not saying this to sell you on the Airwing, but I have NO REGRETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm living the Dream BABY! If you have any other questions about the Wing, send me a direct message.

killerinstinct
03-05-07, 11:42 AM
That was the fiel I chose as well and ended up being aviation ordnance. It's not too bad and probably the tightest knit group there. it's also a few other things but generally it would not be avionics as it generally takes a 5 year contract to get other jobs since the schooling is long.

cball
03-23-07, 07:37 PM
Marine Air Wing is great.I was a aircraft engine mech. and crew chief back in 55 to 58 .We

guy1659270
04-18-07, 09:52 PM
If anybody is stillreading this forum I am in Aviation Support. that's is what they call it in the Navy. In the Marine Corps it's called ground Support Equipment. To sum it up, You fix the gear they use to service the aircraft while it is under maintenance. Like the generators used power the engines without running them up(NC-10 or the 108), fixing the tugs, the hydraulic servicing units (HSU). I enjoy this MOS. There are a lot of other opportunities that you get to experience while in this MOS.

skyhawker
04-19-07, 03:15 PM
I was guaranteed aviation before I enlisted, and was told I would go to Millington Tenn. to school for engine and airframes, and thats exactly what I got. Loved every minute of it. Wound up with a 6412 MOS, and worked on A4D skyhawks. Was a check crew leader and had taxi licence.
Maybe they still guarantee aviation, find out from the recruiter.

killerinstinct
04-19-07, 03:28 PM
now they have the school in pensacola... where we were only allowed water in the bks and first time i drank we had to bring everclear and bacardi limon in those huge evian bottles...

make a long story short and getting of topic.... i still to this day can not stand the smell of that ****..... i drank way too much and woke up to find my headmate getting me away from the toilet

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-19-07, 03:48 PM
Crash, Fire, Rescue seems to be one of the best jobs in the Wings to me. You would be an EMT, get to play with off road capable fire trucks, go to the front of the line in the chow hall, and work in jump suits.

Of course, you can't put fires out if you're color blind, so it wasn't an option to me.