PDA

View Full Version : Recon Marines Jump with Army Special Forces

thedrifter
03-02-07, 02:59 PM
http://www.blackfive.net/photos/uncategorized/37173.jpg

Marines jump from a KC-130 Hercules aircraft above Camp Schwab during Tactical Water Insertion Jumps. Photographer: Cpl. Corey Blodgett, III Marine Expeditionary Force Public Affairs.

From Lance Corporal Corey Blodgett:

Reconnaissance Marines and Special Forces Soldiers teamed up Feb. 13, 1,000 feet above Camp Schwab to sharpen some of the high-flying skills common to their missions.

Marines from 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, and Soldiers from the Army’s 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group, rehearsed Tactical Water Insertion Jumps during the event, which in this case involved landing in the water to link up with waiting boats.

During the training, a KC-130 Hercules aircraft carrying the Marines and soldiers made several passes over the Oura Wan Beach Drop Zone as three-man teams executed static-line jumps on each pass.

The Special Forces Soldiers contacted 3rd Reconnaissance Bn. requesting amphibious support for the jump in exchange for jump slots, explained Gunnery Sgt. Tim A. Parkhurst, the 3rd Reconnaissance Bn. paraloft chief.

“They needed boat support for the drop zone,” Parkhurst said. “We’re right there at Camp Schwab with our dive and boat locker. So we provided boats for the (drop zone) crew, and they gave us some seats on the plane.”

While most other units would rely on “in-house” support from Marine Corps units, Parkhurst said he often doesn’t have that help when it comes to jumping.

“We (take advantage of) that unique opportunity to work with the other services,” he said.

The Marines often perform jumps with aviation support from the Air Force’s 31st and 33rd Rescue Squadrons, Parkhurst said. But working with the soldiers from 1st SFG is different because their duty as a ground combat force is something the units have in common.

“Sometimes it’s quite a bit different between a Marine and a Soldier,” Parkhurst said. “But we all went to the same schools and we have the same mission, so there is a distinctive mutuality.”

Ellie

FistFu68
03-02-07, 04:09 PM
:usmc: GERONIMO~RIPCORD RAIDER'S~:usmc: SEMPER~PARALOFT:usmc:

ggyoung
03-02-07, 07:09 PM
Outstanding

FistFu68
03-02-07, 07:24 PM
:evilgrin: SGT./GGYOUNG,THE NEXT TIME;YOU'R GOING WITH ME!I KNOW YOU GOT IT IN 'YA, YOU OLD HARD-CHARGER(LOL) NO CHIT,GET READY;STAND IN THE DOOR~THE REST IS HISTORY!PLUS YOU GET ALOT OF...

1stRad2671
03-04-07, 06:14 PM
At my unit it seemed that the majority of our jumps were done with the Air Force at Hickam when they were doing cargo drops up near Schofield Barracks.

yellowwing
03-04-07, 08:00 PM
In the picture above, I don't see any weapons. How are the fixed in a w/weapons jump?

Jumping with the swim fins on stands out. Good picture, I know its done. I've never seen any photos of it. I never would have known about the X tape (?) fixing the thinner tips of the swim fins.

The Marine lower left that has positive control of the fall, (is there really such a thing?), is already pointing his heels downward. Do they train to strike the water that way?

The photographer must have jumped with those crazy warriors!

1stRad2671
03-04-07, 08:30 PM
It's highly unlikely to do a water jump with a real weapon. There is too much risk involved (losing it) and salt water is not good for the weapon. We always used rubber rifles when we did surf and boat ops.

They're not jumping with packs either. Basically 'admin' jumps with a twist. A rifle would be in a special bag strapped to the side of their body. If I was doing a water insertion with a rifle I would waterproof the bag (a few trash bags and some duct tape).

FistFu68
03-04-07, 08:45 PM
:evilgrin: YES WING,AFTER CHECKING CANOPY;OR CHUTE!KEEPING HEEL'S,FEET TOGETHER AND HAND'S AND ELBOW'S;TOGETHER HIGH OVER FACE BEFORE FINAL GROUND RUSH IS ESSENTIAL!HITTING WATER,IS BASICALLY LIKE...

grayshade
03-05-07, 02:18 AM
Yup, pucker facter was a big facter. Love the pic, Semper Fi.

yellowwing
03-05-07, 12:31 PM
Yup, pucker facter was a big facter. Love the pic, Semper Fi.
Is this the pucker factor you speak of?
http://www.glumbert.com/media/skydivenightmare

drumcorpssnare
03-05-07, 12:43 PM
I was suprised to see these Leathernecks wearing parachutes! It was my understanding that in the "old Corps", they didn't need no steenkin' parachutes, man. They just hit the ground runnin'.:banana:
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Oh how times have changed! LOL

FistFu68
03-05-07, 01:14 PM
:evilgrin: RIGHT-ON-WING,THAT WAS WHAT YOU WOULD REFER TOO AS A(MAJOR-MALFUNCTION) HE'S LUCKY IN TWO WAY'S,THE HEIGHT HE JUMPED FROM AND WHERE HE CRASHED!!! PUCKER FACTOR A (10) THE SCALE IS FROM 1 TO TEN!!! S/F MARINE GREAT REMINDER~(LOL)!!!:usmc:

FistFu68
03-05-07, 01:25 PM
:evilgrin: DRUM YOU NEED TO TALK TOO MY UNCLE "SONNY"FORMER MARINE RAIDER~AND OSS~OPERATIVE!!!HE WAS DROPPED 80 MILE'S BEHIND ENEMY LINE'S~NO MARINE'S EVER HUMPED THAT FRIGGING FAR~AND HE WAS ALONE!!!THROUGH THE MOUNTAIN'S,IN THE DEAD OF WINTER;TO LINK UP WITH LOCAL RESISTANCE FIGHTER'S!!! :evilgrin: S/F DO OR DIE~10/4:iwo:

LIL-NUGGET
03-05-07, 03:59 PM
Hell Yeah!! Oorah! Bad-ass Recon Marines!!

maverickmarine
03-05-07, 04:05 PM
Alright, alright now, let's calm down..don't bust a nugget...LMAO!!!!!

ggyoung
03-05-07, 04:44 PM
number one ++++=Old Corps did not need a airplaine to jump. OLD CORPS! number two____+++ one of the most decrated Marines in WW11 was a OSS who jumped into France. OLD CORP.