PDA

View Full Version : Computer Security Publications

Moderboater
03-02-07, 11:45 AM
Would I be allowed to have a few magazines mailed to me during bootcamp? Or will I be better of without any reading material that is relevant to the career I plan to immerse myself in?

Any advice is appreciated

Moderboater

bigdog43701
03-02-07, 12:34 PM
do not...repeat NOT have any magazines mailed to you. you will be too busy for them for one thing and you'll pi$$ off your DI's.

HardJedi
03-02-07, 12:36 PM
oh no, go ahead, have em mailed to you. Why not have some pizza's delivered as well. bring your walkman, and a dvd player too.

it's all good.:thumbdown

Marine84
03-02-07, 12:46 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OMG - that's funny as hell!

That's part of your training honey - you will be cut off from the rest of the world for 3 months - no magazines, no TV, no phone, no newspaper, no music (unless it's the Marine Corps Hymn).

Moderboater
03-02-07, 12:53 PM
I appreciate the responses Marines. Will have them stored still I get back :)

Moderboater

deppen
03-02-07, 07:57 PM
Moderboater,

Hey no problem with your question, truth is.... NO ONE knows what Recruit Training will be like until they get there. I'm not sure why we have Marines on here clowning on Future Marines when the CMC wants to add an additional 5000 for the next 5 years... Truth is EVERYONE deserves a shot at the Title of MARINE... if and only if there qualified, mentally, physically, and morally.

Messenger
03-02-07, 08:39 PM
The tempo while in basic training is such that virtually every waking moment is spent training or preparing to train. I do recall a few hours on an occasional Sunday that a recruit had time to write a letter or two but “free time” is extremely rare and used mostly for preparing. The rule of thumb is that if you have time to read, then read your knowledge book (your training text book, for lack of a better description).
Side note;
DO NOT have anyone send you anything other then a letter. Anything remotely suspicious will be inspected by the DI’s as they are very focused on reducing contraband. While I was in, we had a recruit take a brass .223 casing from the rifle range then attempt to mail it home as a souvenir. Unfortunately, the mental giant did not add enough postage to the envelope and it was returned to the sender. The DI felt something odd in the envelope and it all went down hill for that recruit. One of the first entries in his service record book was NJP Office Hours. If he had any rank due him at graduation I am sure that they took it.
Simper Fi

jinelson
03-03-07, 12:42 AM
Play around lay around!

Jim

Moderboater
03-05-07, 07:19 AM
I cannot wait to ship to recruit training, I am motivated, and looking forward to being with people who will be my family forever. Speaking of that, as you all know I am into computer security, and I have a buddy who I met on one of the forums, who is a marine--a sgt I believe, married with kids, and he is going to try and make it to san diego to see a possible new Marine carrying on the traditions.

Moderboater

HardJedi
03-05-07, 09:26 AM
why joke around? mostly, because soon, if these kids earn the title, they will have all the seriousness they can handle. Also, at least in my expirience, sarcasm is as much a Marine tradition as anything else ;)

Marine84
03-05-07, 11:50 AM
why joke around? mostly, because soon, if these kids earn the title, they will have all the seriousness they can handle. Also, at least in my expirience, sarcasm is as much a Marine tradition as anything else ;)

I know that's right. Some folks are going to have early heart attacks and strokes if they don't loosen up a bit.