PDA

View Full Version : State Rep. Al Baldasaro talks about his recent confrontation with a fellow Marine

thedrifter
03-02-07, 11:20 AM
State Rep. Al Baldasaro talks about his recent confrontation with a fellow Marine

By JON CAMPISI
Union Leader Correspondent

LONDONDERRY – If there's one thing state Rep. Al Baldasaro wants you to know, it's this: He did not "crash" a recent news conference organized by a fellow Marine denouncing the President's decision to send more troops to Iraq.

Baldasaro said he simply used some lag time between testifying at House committees to pepper the Massachusetts resident with some pointed questions.

The unapologetically outspoken freshman Republican lawmaker made headlines after he accused Marine Cpl. Brian VanRiper of being a "pawn" for a group called Americans Against Escalation in Iraq.

In a one-on-one interview yesterday, Baldasaro, who represents Londonderry and Auburn in the state House of Representatives, touched on everything from his family roots -- his grandfather was once the mayor of Cambridge, Mass. -- to his two-plus decades with the U.S. Marine Corps.
National pride

The Boston native of Italian heritage takes his pride in this country quite seriously. Perhaps that's what led to his decision to enlist in the Marines when he was 19 in the mid-1970s.

His own son, Joseph, has followed in dad's footsteps, and also joined the Marines when he was 19. And in a move that would make most parents nervous, Joseph made Baldasaro proud when he voluntarily switched details with a fellow Marine, and opted for a tour of Iraq instead of what Baldasaro said would have essentially been a vacation on a base in California.

Baldasaro, a veteran of Desert Storm, said while he worries about his son, he knows firsthand the proper training given to Marines.

"I believe you have more of a chance getting killed in Boston, Detroit or Washington D.C.," he said.
Runs in the family

While Baldasaro has only been a legislator approaching four months, he grew up around public service. His grandfather, Alfred Vellucci, a career politician, served multiple terms as the mayor of Cambridge Mass., where Baldasaro's family continues to run an Italian restaurant, and he also had an uncle in politics.

"My grandfather was loud," Baldasaro said. "He spoke for a lot of people who couldn't speak for themselves."

Baldasaro said it wasn't unusual for his grandfather to receive calls at home or even visits from the likes of Thomas Phillip "Tip" O'Neill, a longtime Congressman from Massachusetts, and John F. Kennedy.

Baldisaro was a registered Democrat until he enlisted in the Marines, switching his party affiliation to Republican. He joked that his grandfather -- a lifelong Democrat -- would be "rolling over in his grave" if he knew his grandson had become a Republican lawmaker.

Because his family placed an emphasis on serving one's country, Baldasaro said, "I've worked the polls from 5, 6, 7 years old on up."
Citizens' legislator

Baldasaro said his decision to run for state representative wasn't difficult. He has always tried to be involved at the local level -- to this day he can be found questioning officials in his hometown of Londonderry during public meetings -- and he doesn't view his job in Concord as being much different.

And even with his Republican philosophies, Baldasaro said he did inherit some beliefs from his grandfather and other more liberal family members.

"Even though I'm a conservative, I'm still passionate about (helping) people who get knocked down," he said.

Of course, there are those issues that help to illuminate his conservative side as well. Baldasaro does not think New Hampshire should be required to recognize same-sex marriages performed in Massachusetts, he is against a push to repeal the state's parental notification law for girls under 18 seeking abortions, and he opposes a statewide smoking ban, believing it should be up to business owners, not the government, to decide whether to go smoke-free.

Baldasaro has also managed to win friends among the state's Libertarian base for his stance against eminent domain. Last year, he testified in favor of a constitutional amendment that would make it illegal for the government to seize private property and sell to developers. The amendment passed by a large margin.

"Before, I was on the outside fighting," he said, referencing his time in state office. "Now, I'm on the inside. People tend to listen now."

Ellie