PDA

View Full Version : Reserve troops in West Palm tapped for sixth time in four years

thedrifter
03-02-07, 06:38 AM
Reserve troops in West Palm tapped for sixth time in four years

By Mike Clary
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted March 2 2007

West Palm Beach · For the sixth time in less than four years, yet another small band of young U.S. Marines left a reserve center across the street from Palm Beach International Airport early Thursday to start a long journey to the war in Iraq. All stood erect and proud, and most were dry-eyed.

But they left a torrent of tears in their wake.

"We love you, Carter," cried one of many in a group of family and friends who got up well before dawn to say farewell to Carter Allen, 22, a Palm Beach Gardens resident motivated to enlist after the 9-11 attacks. He is among 27 Marines and two Navy medical corps members with the 4th Air/Naval Gunfire Liaison Company (ANGLICO), a unit that has been tapped six times since the war began in March 2003.

Some of those who left Thursday were making a third trip to the war zone. Allen was making his first.

"He's a little scared. We're all scared," said Allen's mother, Cheryl Baker, 52, a manager with the Palm Beach County school system, as she struggled for composure. "But some things are out of our control. I have faith in God."

Added Allen's sister Sasha, an 18-year-old senior at Palm Beach Gardens High School: "I have a lot of hope in my heart that he comes back."

Public opinion polls indicate support for the war and the Bush administration's prosecution of it have never been lower.

With more than 3,100 American fatalities and tens of thousands wounded, Congress is debating ways to bring the troops home.

The ANGLICO deployment was scheduled last year and is not part of President Bush's controversial plan to send more troops.

For some, going to war in Iraq has never been harder.

"Understandably, there is some anxious apprehension," said Maj. Leslie Payton, 35, who is beginning his second tour in Iraq and will lead the unit to its battle station in dangerous al-Anbar province. "But they have worked hard for the last couple of months to get ready.

"What I tell them is that no matter how many times you have been there, you never know what to expect. The situation is changing so much."

As for the politics at home over the conduct and duration of the war, Payton said, "I think we all understand there is a big separation between what's being talked about and our mission. You have to stay focused on your job. It's easy to get caught up, start thinking, `Why are we here?'" said Payton, of Palm Springs.

While relatives and friends fretted about the safety of their Marines, company 1st Sgt. Steve Rice said all were volunteers, chosen from many more who wanted to go to Iraq. "Everybody is champing at the bit to get over there," said Rice.

The mission of the 200-member Reserve unit is to direct fire, calling in mortar, artillery and air strikes on enemy targets. No ANGLICO Marines have been killed in Iraq, said Rice, but four have been wounded in prior tours of duty.

Among those shipping out was Cpl. Daniel Berman, 24, a field radio operator married just three weeks ago to 20-year-old Jamie-Lee, who stood at his side. On his third trip to the war zone, Berman said he saw that the couple's bills would be paid automatically. "The less she has to worry about, the better," said the graduate of Santaluces High School west of Lantana.

Andrene Harris flew down from her home in New York to say farewell to her brother, Lance Cpl. Kelroy Harris, 23, a diesel mechanic who lives in Coral Springs. "He says he is going to be fine, not to worry about him," she said. "But we will be praying every day. We want our boys to be back home and for this to be over."

Said Kelroy Harris: "I'm just going to focus."

Chris Dorman, 20, who works as a waiter at a restaurant near his home in Coral Springs, gave a last hug and kiss to his girlfriend Vicki Evans, also 20. "Stay safe. Don't do anything stupid," she told him.

"I joined to help with whatever is going on over there," said Dorman, "So it seems like I should go."

Commodities broker and aspiring dancer Bill Simonet, 23, of West Palm Beach left for a second Iraq tour.

"Tears motivate the soul's return," he said of the emotions that ran through the contingent of friends seeing him off. "But I was very focused on the training and absorbed as much as I could. I'm ready."

With more than 30 people on hand to wave goodbye to him, Allen commanded the largest contingent of well-wishers, including his father, Boynton Beach charter boat captain John Allen. Accompanying John Allen were several members of his Masonic Lodge, No. 138.

"I just told him I loved him, be praying for him every minute of every day," said Allen. "Then I kissed him and off he went."

Mike Clary can be reached at mwclary@sun-sentinel.com or at 561-243-6629.

Ellie