PDA

View Full Version : 29 Marines from area bound by mission in Iraq

thedrifter
03-02-07, 06:30 AM
29 Marines from area bound by mission in Iraq
By Ron Hayes

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, March 02, 2007

The sky was still dark and the streetlights bright early Thursday when 29 young men arrived at the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Center on Belvedere Road to go to war.

Some, like Carter Allen, 22, of West Palm Beach, were going for the first time.

Some, like Bill Simonet, 23, of West Palm Beach, were going for the second time.

And some, like Matt Brewster, 30, of Vero Beach, were going for the third time.

The Marines' deployment is the sixth tour in Iraq for members of the 4th Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company - known as ANGLICO - headquartered in suburban West Palm Beach. They are expected to remain about six months, directing air support for U.S. fighter jets in Sunni-dominated Anbar province, one of the more dangerous areas for U.S. troops.

"This isn't part of the president's planned surge," said 1st Sgt. Steve Rice, the company's senior enlisted adviser. "This deployment had already been scheduled."

The departure was set for 6:45 a.m. By 5:30, family and friends had begun to gather at ANGLICO headquarters across from Palm Beach International Airport. Some sat quietly waiting, and others chatted with strangers. Some carried cameras and gifts, and others carried babies.

John Allen, a dive boat captain from Boynton Beach, was surrounded by fellow members of Masonic Lodge 138 as he waited for his son, Carter, to arrive - and depart.

"This is like waiting for a baby to be born," Allen said, smiling stoically and eyeing the door. "I'm not happy about him going. I'd trade places in a heartbeat, but he has a job to do, and when he enlisted we all knew he wasn't signing up to work at Sears. He has a cause, and hopefully he'll be home. I'm very proud."

Carter Allen joined the Marines in 2004 after graduating from the Dreyfoos School of the Arts.

"He changed a lot after Sept. 11," his father said. "It's kind of ironic because his grandfather enlisted after Pearl Harbor."

Allen glanced nervously at his watch. He tried his son's cellphone and got no answer.

"He told me he was leaving right then," he said. "Man, he used to always be late on diving trips, too."

The sky was starting to pale when the Marines began lumbering in, lugging backpacks and duffel bags, some with family, some alone. They were dressed in civilian clothes: bluejeans and running shoes, work boots and T-shirts.

"Look for the ones with short hair," Sgt. Rice said.

Lance Cpl. Bill Simonet has short hair.

In April 2004, Simonet left this same parking lot for his first tour of Iraq. He was 20 then and full of smiles and self-confidence. He had introduced himself as Billy.

"I'm not worried, I'm looking forward to it," he said then. "I'm young and wild, I'm adventurous. And it's free!"

Now he's Bill and 23, and he's heading back. His smile is still wide and self-confident, but he has clearly become a man. His speech is less ebullient but more assured.

"I'm a little more prepared now," he said, "and I've learned everything isn't as it seems. I went over there expecting everybody was wanting to shoot and kill me, but it's quite the opposite, actually. The people are very friendly. They actually want us there."

Nearby, Capt. Matt Brewster stood with his mother and stepfather. A graduate of the University of Florida with degrees in building construction and finance, he has completed one tour in Afghanistan and another in Iraq. He's returning to Iraq at a time when public opinion polls find strong support for the troops but dwindling faith in their mission.

"We're fighting a counterinsurgency, and a counterinsurgency is a lot of very small battles," Brewster said. "So it's hard for the press to say we captured this guy and we captured that guy. But we'll never give up as long as you guys don't give up on us. This war is very winnable, and we just need the public to keep supporting us."

Carter Allen arrived in time for the formation. The eastern sky was pink as the men lined up in the driveway behind the building. Backs straight, legs spread, arms clasped behind their backs, they made a motley band of brothers in their civilian clothes. One Marine wore a T-shirt that simply said, "Bong." Another's said, "Stop Clubbing Baby Seals."

"Make yourselves proud," Sgt. Maj. Joe Capua told them. "And remember that no matter what you're doing over there, you're making history."

The Marines broke formation, and the mothers, wives and girlfriends broke down. Some let their tears flow freely; others tried to snuffle them back. The Marines hugged their friends and hugged one another. Gifts were exchanged, and promises.

"Anybody sticks their head up," a woman shouted, "kill 'em! Kill 'em!"

No one paid her much attention.

"I was getting tired of college and I needed a change," Carter Allen said. "This is the best decision I ever made. I'm feeling good ... excited ... anxious. I'm ready to get out there and do my job."

They made their way to the back parking lot, where vans would take them across Belvedere Road to the airport for an 8:20 a.m. commercial flight to Camp Lejeune, N.C. By Tuesday, Rice said, they should be in Iraq.

"See you soon," John Allen told his son. "Trust in God and your training and you'll be all right. I love you."

"I love you too, man," his son said.

And then Carter Allen climbed into a navy blue Chevy van with U.S. government license plates.

As the van pulled out of the gate and headed toward Belvedere Road, it passed a gray marble monument.

We Shall Never Forget Those Who Gave All For The Cause Of Freedom.

Robert B. Jenkins, Al Anbar, Iraq, 2 May 2004.

Scott R. McHugh, Al Anbar, Iraq, 2 May 2004.

Ellie