PDA

View Full Version : When should I join?

MC79SOUTH
03-01-07, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, im new to this site so if this has been asked before im sorry. Im 16 turning 17 in September and Im wondering if I should enlist in the Marines during my junior year of HS as soon as I turn 17, or wait until I graduate. I also dont understand how it works if I go in my junior year. It says that after boot camp you get 10 days off then you go and train for your specific MOS. How am I supposed to do that if I have to go back to school after boot camp?

deppen
03-01-07, 09:25 PM
MC79SOUTH,

Once you complete your junior year you can contact your local Marine Corps Recruiter. I would say the sooner you enlist the better. The reason for that is you can be apart of the DEP (delayed entry program) and start learning your General Orders and Rank Structure that they will give you with the welcome aboard package. And you woudlnt go to Recruit Training until after you graduate Highschool. Actually after Recruit Training you get 10 days leave then you go to MCT for non infantry marines(Marine Combat Training) or SOI for infantry marines(school of infanty). If you have any questions, please send me a message directly.

MC79SOUTH
03-01-07, 10:01 PM
oh ok cool I understand now. thanks for the help!

STA0311
03-02-07, 11:41 AM
Yeah...earlier, because your Recall time will be less when you get out if you decide to do only 4 years. But most people wont tell you that side of reasoning.

davblay
03-02-07, 12:05 PM
Talk to your recruiter. There may be a split training program available! That is you can go to Boot after your Jr year, upon completion of Boot Camp you return home for your Senior year of High School, then return for AIT and MOS and the rest of your enlistment after you graduate! I am not sure if it is available now or not but ask your recruiter, It wouldn't hurt, after all the worst thing he can say is NO, he can't eat you, That's against the LAW! HA! Good luck wanna be, Semper Fi

ZSKI
03-02-07, 04:47 PM
I don't think they do that i know there is a split but its for college. And ya up to a year in DEP will count twords IRR time.

davblay
03-02-07, 05:13 PM
Well, Like I said, it may not be available now. I know that when I was recruiter I enlisted 17 juniors in the same school on split training. I still think I would ask a recruiter before I throw out the idea! I guess you are more up to date than I am. You are a recruiter, right? Semper Fi

MC79SOUTH
03-02-07, 07:44 PM
Talk to your recruiter. There may be a split training program available! That is you can go to Boot after your Jr year, upon completion of Boot Camp you return home for your Senior year of High School, then return for AIT and MOS and the rest of your enlistment after you graduate! I am not sure if it is available now or not but ask your recruiter, It wouldn't hurt, after all the worst thing he can say is NO, he can't eat you, That's against the LAW! HA! Good luck wanna be, Semper Fi

haha yeah. ill talk to a recruiter and ask. I have a few friends that are in the Army National Guard that joined there junior year and went to basic over the summer, then came back for there senior year. Ill look into that and ask if the same goes for the Marines. Thanks.

deppen
03-02-07, 07:51 PM
As a Marine Corps Recruiter the Marines DOES NOT do this(going to MCRD in HS, only for College). You have to wait to go to Recruit Training. And please do not refer to Marine Corps Recruit Training as BASIC. I believed this has been addressed on this website before. There is nothing basic about the most intense military training that not only this nation has to offer, but in the entire world.

slowrider
03-02-07, 08:26 PM
couldn't of said it better myself,was NOTHING basic about my 13 weeks on the Island

MC79SOUTH
03-02-07, 08:27 PM
Well thats good news for my parents they want me to go after HS. Sorry about calling Marine Corps Recruit Training "basic training" thats just what Im used to hearing from being in Army JROTC and being around a bunch of National Guard guys. Im going to break that habbit.

deppen
03-02-07, 08:33 PM
MC79SOUTH,

Thats what joining the Corps is all about, wanting to make a change. It all starts with saying Recruit Training and next thing you know your running a billiondollar company.... take the following for example:

JOHN G. (JACK) PICKARD ("][/URL]FREDERICK W. SMITH
Chairman, President, Chief Executive Officer
Smith served as an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1966-1970.

[URL=")
President, Chief Executive Officer, FedEx Custom Critical
Faieta was a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps. He served in Vietnam and received both the Purple Heart and Bronze Star for valor.

http://www.fedex.com/us/about/today/bios.html

The Marine Corps will take you are today and make you an amazing leader....

davblay
03-02-07, 08:34 PM
Thanks deppen, I appreciate you correcting me! I have been out since way back when and I am out of date with my info, I tried to explain it to him so he'd ask his recruiter and looks like it worked! Thanks again for the update, Semper Fi

MC79SOUTH
03-02-07, 09:00 PM
MC79SOUTH,

Thats what joining the Corps is all about, wanting to make a change. It all starts with saying Recruit Training and next thing you know your running a billiondollar company.... take the following for example:

FREDERICK W. SMITH
Chairman, President, Chief Executive Officer
Smith served as an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1966-1970.

JOHN G. (JACK) PICKARD (http://<b>JOHN G. (JACK) PICKARD</b>)
President, Chief Executive Officer, FedEx Custom Critical
Faieta was a First Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps. He served in Vietnam and received both the Purple Heart and Bronze Star for valor.

http://www.fedex.com/us/about/today/bios.html

The Marine Corps will take you are today and make you an amazing leader....

Thats what I love about the Marine Corps over all the other branches. And thanks a lot for all the info. Before I got on this site my parents were a little dissapointed in my decision on what I wanted to do after high school. When I told them that I want to be a Marine, they were a little upset that I didnt want to go to college first. Now after reading a lot of stuff thats on this website, there pumped on the fact that I want to be a Marine. There finally starting to see that joining the Marine Corps is one of the best things I can do with my life. Thats how I see it for sure.

deppen
03-02-07, 09:07 PM
MC79SOUTH,

You did make the best decision, weather you do 4 years or 20, you'll always be a Marine and have that Leadership that civilians and other branches dont have as being a Marine. 8 years ago I made the same decision you did, and I dont regret a second of any day. I'm living the DREAM......(and getting paid to do it, now thats CRAZY)