PDA

View Full Version : Another Raymondville Marine is killed in war

thedrifter
03-01-07, 07:33 AM
Another Raymondville GI is killed in war

Web Posted: 03/01/2007 12:08 AM CST

John MacCormack
Express-News Staff Writer

Anthony Aguirre became the third serviceman from Raymondville killed in Iraq after a bomb exploded while he was on foot patrol in Al Anbar province.

A Marine lance corporal, Aguirre, 20, died Monday of wounds suffered the day before.

He moved to the Houston area with his mother after his parents separated when he was a small child, but he returned regularly to visit his father and relatives.

His father, Arturo Aguirre, said his son had been in the Marines for three years.

"The last time he called me was four or six weeks ago. He said it was pretty rough over there, but he didn't say anything about wanting to get out," his father said. "I gave him my blessing. That was the last time I ever heard from him."

Aguirre was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force, based in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

Willacy County Commissioner Eddie Chapa said the small Rio Grande Valley community has been hit hard recently by war losses.

Sgt. Jesse Davila and Staff Sgt. Hector Leija, both Army soldiers born in Raymondville, also were killed in Iraq.

"We have a war memorial we put up 12 year ago, but we left no room for future wars. We never realized we'd have more casualties," Chapa said.

"In 15 years of combat in Vietnam, we had only six casualties. Here we've been in the (Iraq) war only four years and we've had three already. Everyone in the community is affected," he said.

Chapa, a member of veterans organization America's Last Patrol, said a flag-raising ceremony was scheduled for Wednesday night at Arturo Aguirre's house in his son's honor.

Services for Anthony Aguirre will be in Channelview, near Houston, after his body is returned to the United States, Arturo Aguirre said.

"He was proud to be a Marine and to be serving his country, even though he loved life," he said.

jmaccormack@express-news.net

Ellie