View Full Version : Students Send Backpacks to Injured Soldiers

thedrifter
02-28-07, 05:15 AM
Students Send Backpacks to Injured Soldiers
Feb 27, 2007 06:34 PM

Cpl. Klayton South
Nick Rodriguez
WISH-TV Indianapolis

INDIANAPOLIS - Students in Indiana are sending wounded soldiers and Marines some of the comforts of home. It is the work of a Marine Corporla and some inspired kids at Center Grove Middle School Central.

As school starts students stroll the hallways and backpacks stack up on the floor. If it seems a typical day, it is not.

"It's like Christmas all over again," said Cpl. Klayton South, United States Marine Corps.

South celebrates the work of Center Grove sixth graders. For days, they have collected things injured troops might need.

"Put them all together in a backpack so I could hand-deliver them to the wounded soldiers," South said.

South knows first hand what is needed. He wears a Marine uniform and the scars of war.

"Couple years ago he got shot in the mouth," said sixth grader Nick Rodriguez.

Rodriguez is South's cousin.

"It wasn't hard to get everybody to help out for the troops that are hurt," he said.

"Crossword puzzles, car magazines, any type of reading materials. Certain types of candies and stuff," South said.

"Looks like socks, we got playing cards, books," said Rodriguez. "I think we did pretty good. We have 12 backpacks filled to the brim and if we had more backpacks we could probably fill more."

South said the donated backpacks troops usually get are nice, a bit predictable, but not these.

"There's also some mp3 players down in here maybe," Rodriguez said.

"Your class has tricked it out, as you'd say, or customized it to the point it's awesome," South said.

"Toothbrush, toothpaste, poker cards, CD's they can listen to," Rodriguez said.

As the Bethesda-bound book bags start their trip, South and his young cousin feel the students have taken an important journey, too.

"I'm real happy to see what the outcome of it will be," Rodriguez said.

"Everything you guys have done here will impact somebody's life. Thank you kids," South said.

Ellie