PDA

View Full Version : Retired Marine honored for work

thedrifter
02-28-07, 05:05 AM
Retired Marine honored for work
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
By JEANETTE DeFORGE
jdeforge@repub.com

CHICOPEE - Justin M. Gelgut admitted he was in trouble plenty of times when he was younger, but then something happened - he joined the Young Marines.

Now the Westfield youth is a senior in high school and has his future mapped out. He will graduate high school this spring and on June 11 he will officially join the U.S. Marine Corps.

He said he owes his turnaround to retired Marine Sgt. Maj. Edward C. Mitrook, who has been the commander of the Young Marines for 10 years.

He isn't alone. Recently the entire organization including the more than 30 students in the squadron, alumni, parents of youth and others, surprised the East Longmeadow resident with an appreciation ceremony.

"I don't know what this program would be without Sgt. Major," Gelgut said. "I think of Sgt. Major as a father figure, I help him out on weekends because he has given us so much."

The Young Marines is an organization for youth ages 8 to 18. Its weekly meetings at Westover Air Reserve Base include night drills and classroom instruction on subjects such as military history, American history, drug awareness and fire safety and prevention. Students also receive academic help with their regular schoolwork.

Young Marines also participate in weekend encampments, leadership schools and summer adventures.

Megan E. Leahan, of Enfield, joined the Young Marines when she was a shy middle school student and is now an adult staff member. She said Mitrook helped her improve her study habits and turned her into a good student. He and the whole organization was there for her when her mother died three years ago.

Leahan said she followed Mitrook's advice and is now studying at Springfield Technical Community College and wants to enter its nursing program.

"He has been like a father for me," she said.

Nicole Miller, a high school freshman, joined with her cousin, Leahan, when she was just 8.

"I really, really think he deserves this, he is always there for us," she said. "He does so much for us."

Along with the weekly meetings, Mitrook makes sure he attends every graduation ceremony for his students and is always there to give advice or help.

During the appreciation ceremony his wife, Linda Mitrook, and his partner in the Young Marines, Master Gunnery Sgt. Lee Forester read proclamations from the State House of Representatives, Granby Selectmen and East Longmeadow Selectmen. Chicopee officials declared the day "Edward Mitrook Day."

Mitrook admitted he was shocked at the event. When it was over he turned to the address his Young Marines.

"You guys are my fuel, you guys are my success story," he said.

Ellie