PDA

View Full Version : Cameron '07 eschews hedge fund job, heads for the skies

thedrifter
02-26-07, 09:55 AM
Cameron '07 eschews hedge fund job, heads for the skies
By Sarah Badami, The Dartmouth Staff
Published on Monday, February 26, 2007

Even with the envelope in her hand, Kate Cameron '07 found that she could not mail her agreement to take a generous job offer with a hedge fund after graduation. After much consideration, Cameron realized that her heart lay somewhere far above the financial sector. Instead of joining the corporate world, she will work toward gaining certification as a fighter pilot for the U.S. Marine Corps.

Unlike most Ivy League graduates, very few of whom join the military, Cameron said she feels an obligation to join the armed forces in order to apply the skills she has gained from her education to homeland security. And she is concerned that there are not more Ivy League graduates entering the military.

"Those in power in politics, who are in the middle and upper classes, are not connected to real people in the military," said the Hamilton, Mass., resident.

"There is a growing divide between the two that is very dangerous in the sense that our politics are not shaped by people with military experience and understanding, and a lot of our military leaders are not connected to the political side of things," she added.

While Cameron's friends support her decision to join the armed forces, she feels that few Dartmouth students share her position on the importance of well-educated Americans fighting for their country.

"I think it's a problem in our country that people graduating from the top institutions don't feel any need or desire to serve in our military," she said. "There's a real stigma in our class against it. Among my peers there's definitely a mentality of 'Why are you throwing away your Dartmouth education?'"

After working at Bridgewater Associates, the world's largest hedge fund, Cameron understands the difficulty the armed forces have in recruiting students from the nation's top schools, like Dartmouth.

"College graduates are tempted by corporate recruiting," she said. "At Dartmouth, the top companies in the world show up at our doorstep and offer us tons of money, perks, and a great life in New York City."

Despite the extravagant lifestyle promoted by corporate recruiters, Cameron finds the responsibility and leadership opportunities offered by the Marines more rewarding.

In October she will head to Virginia to begin Officer Candidate School, a 10-week boot camp program for officers that focuses on leadership training. Once she graduates from OCS, Cameron plans to attend the "Basic School," where she will complete sixth months of ground officer training focusing on riflery and field missions. Next, Cameron will head to Florida for two years of flight school, which will determine whether she will fly helicopters or jets for the Marines.

"I'm very excited," she said. "I like adventure and adrenaline."

Cameron's grandfathers, one a retired army general and the other a retired Marine, inspired her to join the armed forces.

"They're two people I have always held in high regard and respected a lot," she said.

Cameron explained that despite the risks involved and the stress that her future occupation will inevitably cause her family, joining the Marines is truly her passion.

"I have grappled with the reality of this and considered the risks involved," she said.

"I worry more about my family than myself, and hate the idea of worrying my mother sick. But at the same time there are certain things worth doing that for. This is something I believe in, something I would be willing to give my life for."

Ellie