PDA

View Full Version : Salute to Sousley honors all veterans

thedrifter
02-26-07, 07:18 AM
Salute to Sousley honors all veterans

By MISTY MAYNARD

Sunday, February 25, 2007 7:51 PM EST

"He gave his life in World War II .... If he can do that, I can come over here to Flemingsburg on a cold, rainy day, I reckon," said Wayne Spencer, a Navy veteran from Harrison County who was one of many gathered at Fleming County native Franklin Sousley's gravesite Sunday afternoon.

As a veteran, Spencer said he had heard the story of the bloody battle of Iwo Jima 62 years ago, and knew of the five Marines and one Navy corpsman whose raising of the American flag was captured by photographer Joe Rosenthal and became an iconic symbol of freedom.

However, he had not realized there was a memorial for one of the men from Kentucky until a few years ago. Since then, he has not missed a service. Spencer's main reason for coming: Sousley was a veteran and therefore deserving of all honor and respect, and worth the trip to the Elizaville Cemetery even on the overcast, wind-chilled day.

Honoring Sousley, who was one of the three flag-raisers in the photograph who died on Iwo Jima as American troops fought to secure the island, was a number of veterans, including several survivors of Iwo Jima, family members of Sousley and many from the community.

Many organizations played a part in arranging the various events this year, including the Kentucky Historical Society, Fleming County Covered Bridge Museum, Dan Daly Marine Corps League Detachment 858 of Lexington and the Flemingsburg Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1834.

The series of events held to honor Sousley began with a play at Simons Middle School which featured Greg Hardison, a Frankfort resident, as Sousley.

"It's daunting," said Hardison about portraying the war hero. "It's scary, but exciting at the same time."

Hardison said it is his goal when he portrays Sousley to do so in truth, and giving him all the respect he deserves.

Last year, Hardison said the Kentucky Historical Society did an exhibit of the flags of Kentucky, including the flag raising at Iwo Jima in the exhibit. Some time after that Hardison said he became involved in the play, acting the part of Sousley. Hardison said he enjoyed coming to Fleming County, where he met with individuals from the Fleming County Library and museum and was able to read Sousley's letters and try on his ring.

Following the play, a special ceremony at the Franklin Sousley VFW post in Flemingsburg was held, then continued at Sousley's gravesite at 4 p.m. At the VFW post, Iwo Jima survivors spoke, including George Marsh, a Navy corpsman who said of the 250 in his company, 25 returned home alive.

"I have seen the sorriest thing man can do to man," Marsh said during his speech. Marsh painted a picture of wounded and dying soldiers and of the devastation that is war.

Marsh paid tribute to the Marine Corps saying that "as long as this nation exists, they're going to have to have Marines."

"Somebody's going to have to defend our freedom," he said.

The graveside memorial included a flag-raising by three Iwo Jima survivors and a 21-gun salute, as well as the playing of "Taps" and the Marine Hymn.

Dwayne Price, Sousley's nephew, was one of several family members at the memorial including two other nephews, a niece, and Sousley's aunt. Price spoke at the gravesite memorial of the first time he attended a ceremony honoring those at Iwo Jima, including his uncle.

"I didn't know what the big deal was," he said. "The older I got I understood what Franklin did ... It's not just a salute for him, but for all veterans."

Though he may not have know what the "big deal" was in 1975 when he was just 9 years old, Price said he is now proud of his connection to Sousley.

"I'm proud to have his blood flowing through my veins," he said.

Contact Misty Maynard at 606-564-9091, ext. 274.

Ellie