PDA

View Full Version : For my country...

WantToBeSumthin
02-26-07, 12:48 AM
I want to do something for my country. I've seen Marines and I've said "I want to be like that man". I want to serve the people of this country. I dont care about the pay or the education. Its having the privalige of that uniform. Of the title. I just need to know if it's for me. I'm far from a "big" dude. I think that I lack the aggression. But then I think that the Marines will help me with that. They will change me. Maybe saying this right here tells you that I am not cut for it. I beleive that when it comes down to it that I'll press on and ill have that motivation in my mind. I want to prove to people that I can do this. I want to be able to say "And you said I wouldnt make it". It's the only thing my family will accept from me-It's Marines or nothing at all. Army, Navy, Airforce-Its all for the pussies who cant handle the real challenges in combat.

If you think I have no right to say what I did, tell me.

If you think I have no right serving in the Marines, tell me.

I'm 16yrs old. Ill graduate next year. Please, tell me what you think.

bootlace15
02-26-07, 06:23 AM
say what you want its a free country. Thats what we are here for. However,you are the only one who can answer your questions. Your family and friends are not going to be with you once you get on that bus.

The advise you get may not always be the best,so you need to trust yourself,thats the only advise you can take to the bank. That way if you don't ,make it,you can't blame anyone but yourself. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

DWG
02-26-07, 06:37 AM
Army, Navy, Airforce-Its all for the pussies who cant handle the real challenges in combat. [Qoute]

Be careful who you criticize! Any active duty has been through more than you,so far.
There may come a day when a Navy Corpsman risks his life to pull you out ot the crapper; or an Air Force zoomer clears a hole for you;And even the Army does something (not always sure what;) ).

Once you get your EGA you can run your mouth about other services! Not until then.:evilgrin:

YLDNDN6
02-26-07, 06:43 AM
You better put some ass behind those words, pal! You just laid down the gauntlet for yourself. If that is really your opinion, get down to the recruiter's office and start signing.

cplbrooks
02-26-07, 07:44 AM
fill out your profile. Lets start with that.

WantToBeSumthin
02-26-07, 02:28 PM
You are right. I'm sorry. It's just that thats how all the people around me feel so I kinda go with it. But, I think that the Marines are the elite. I want to have that under my belt, the fact that I was able to accomplish something elite. And so that I can have that while serving for my country.

I know that I have to decide for myself but I would like some kind of advice. Like I said before I lack aggression. I take a lot of crap from the people around me. Ive never really stood up for myself. So I just want to know, from just from what I said, can you give me an upfront answer. Can a kid like me, who lacks agression but still really thinks that he can physically do it, make it in the Marines?

Have you ever known a person who wasnt really aggressive make it?

Any thing related to that would help greatly.

WantToBeSumthin
02-26-07, 02:45 PM
BTW I fixed my profile. Its not a great pic but it gives you an idea.

David Jameson
02-26-07, 03:04 PM
You look about my age and build when I went in .Give it a shot hero

e

DWG
02-26-07, 04:12 PM
I was between 135-140lbs. when I went in. Only exercise I did was tossing down beers all summer. I made it in one cycle. (and gained 30 lbs in Boot Camp) It's all what's inside you! Ya gotta wanna! Or be so scared of the Drill Instructors that you do it to save your own life! I had a lot of that!!!
:scared: ;)

WantToBeSumthin
02-26-07, 09:55 PM
What is boot like? I mean, what is ti that is so difficult besides the physical challenge. I understand that is difficult but, I heard it is way more mental. Fellow recruits were heard crying at night, things like that. Thats what I am worried about. That I wont have the aggression which will help me stay with it.

jinelson
02-26-07, 10:05 PM
Pup the physical is the easy part the mental part is what seperates the men from the boys.

Jim

slowrider
02-26-07, 10:17 PM
Wild thing is, I persoanly found that it was NOT the bootcamp that was so bad. it was once I got out in the FMF that I had to watch out for me. There was alot of other Marines that would not hesitate to step on my ass to get ahead.Not putting down my brothers but you heard the old saying"It's a dog eat dog world" In bootcamp your hand was held all the way ( so to speak) out in the fleet it is your own responcibilty to become a Marine.Just something for you to think about . my young poolie

WantToBeSumthin
02-26-07, 10:25 PM
Well I see boot as the first HUGE hump though.

slowrider
02-26-07, 10:26 PM
Sure it is,You'll be ok, You know it has been over 25 years and I can still remember getting off that bus and getting on them famous yellow footprints in the middle of the night.LOL

WantToBeSumthin
02-26-07, 10:29 PM
What were thoughts going through your mind? Did you ever want to back out? And would you consider yourself aggressive-Thats my main concern right now..If I am aggressive enough.

slowrider
02-26-07, 10:47 PM
yes i wanted to back out.I went in on the buddie system with my best friend Paul.we ended up in the same platoon in boot camp.We were in 3rd Bat H comp on the beach.One morning in a 3 mile run I fell back.I felt sick that morning and was having a hard time.Well needless to say they recyled me to another platoon.I was heart broken.I was dogged on bad.I didn't know at first what to do.If i went home I would be dogged on by friends I had bragged to before going to MCRD. I hung in there and tried my hardest.then one day the wildest thing happened to bring tears to my eyes.My platoon was just going to the riffle range and my old platoon( Pauls) was leaving.I was tall and was about the 4th man back in the first row.I was looking forward as I watched this platoon march by,Guess what? I seen my Buddie Paul coming.For a split second Our eyes met and he gave me a little wink. as to say "hang in there Vince , you'll make it" Man thats all I needed.It put fire back into my soul and I wanted to make it worse then anything at that point.I hadn't seen my budie for about 3 years after that point.then one day in Okinawa ,Japan I was sent from my base ( Camp Swab ) to Camp Hanson to get some supplys from there warehouse.I walked in to get them and there was my friend Paul sitting there.You talk about a sight for sore eyes.We went out that night for a few cold ones and got to talking and he ask me.Vince do you remember me giving you that wink in boot camp when we marched by? I said YES i did. He went on to tell me it was to tell me to hang in there and keep going.I'm so glad I did.Brother all I can tell you is I Love the Marine Corps.It carved out the person I have become today at 42 years old.
Best of luck to you

WantToBeSumthin
02-26-07, 11:10 PM
I just dont know. The shame that I will get when I come hoem if I fail will be horrible. What are the chances of friends being with me at boot?

slowrider
02-26-07, 11:29 PM
There is a good chance if you leave toegther on the same departure date.Once you get to MCRD you'll be in whats called transit.thats where you build up enough recruits to form a battalion.( forgive my spelling )that can take a few days to a week.Once you get enough ppl. they will split off into usauly four plattons.In my case it was 3304 - 3307 at that point you will be picked up by your drill instructors.most often it is your regular di's. once you get to your barrecks then you'll meet your senior di.and at that point your training days start

killerinstinct
02-27-07, 08:56 AM
Army, Navy, Airforce-Its all for the pussies who cant handle the real challenges in combat. [Qoute]

There may come a day when a Navy Corpsman risks his life to pull you out ot the crapper;

HAHA or turn you in to NCIS to get a better deal

DWG
02-27-07, 09:03 AM
HAHA or turn you in to NCIS to get a better deal

It is truly a shame what one bad (scum-sucking, back stabbing, cretin) apple can do! All the good corpsmen who have, and are serving, have to be compared to that pr!ck! Ain't right!:mad:

Ask how many Marines on this forum may owe their lives to some Corpsman who risked their life to save them!:thumbup:

Marine84
02-27-07, 10:36 AM
Let me see if THIS is motivation enough for you.....................if we WOMEN can do it, why can't you?

Believe it or not (and I know some of you are going to go into shock), before I went in, I was the meekest, mildest, cry at the drop of a dime that you have EVER seen. The Corps gave me the confidence that I needed (no, I wasn't automatically born with that b!tch gene) to tell somebody to kiss my ENTIRE a$$ if I so choose.

DWG
02-27-07, 11:07 AM
Let me see if THIS is motivation enough for you.....................if we WOMEN can do it, why can't you?

Believe it or not (and I know some of you are going to go into shock), before I went in, I was the meekest, mildest, cry at the drop of a dime that you have EVER seen. The Corps gave me the confidence that I needed (no, I wasn't automatically born with that b!tch gene) to tell somebody to kiss my ENTIRE a$$ if I so choose.

Uh, how many times did you go through PI? Or did you just repeat the b!tch course several times?:nerd:

You KNEW I wouldn't let that one go by!:banana: :D

Marine84
02-27-07, 12:09 PM
The Corps instilled it - menopause is tonin' it up. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I did check that b!tch course out though - I was told I could TEACH it if need be.

rvillac2
02-27-07, 12:10 PM
I love WM's. They're yummy. ; )

DWG
02-27-07, 12:55 PM
The Corps instilled it - menopause is tonin' it up. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I did check that b!tch course out though - I was told I could TEACH it if need be.

You were a "NATURAL"! Innate talent enhanced by advanced training and lots of practice!
:D :banana:

I'm still awaiting the judges' decision on my paternity claim w/ Anna Nicole!
;)

Marine84
02-27-07, 01:23 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA - DW, you so retarded!

DWG
02-27-07, 01:37 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA - DW, you so retarded!

We'll see who's retarded when I'm living LARGE in the Bahamas with my baby daughter(?); it is a girl isn't it? Yeah, that's it; my darling daughter:angel: , I miss it, I mean her, so much.

;) :D

WantToBeSumthin
02-27-07, 02:23 PM
Well, any how. Back on topic. Women have different training if I am not mistaken. I am under the impression that it is a totally different ball game.

DWG
02-27-07, 02:28 PM
What more do you want us to say? Thousands have gone through Boot and made it. You've been told it is 90% mental, you just have to be prepared to be pushed to your limit. Go enlist and you'll find out in the end whether you have what it takes or you don't. No one can give you total assurance that you will or will not make it. It is up to YOU! The ONLY way you will ever know is to do it! Lose the whine, learn to win!

WantToBeSumthin
02-27-07, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I finally get it. LOL I'm just going to have to decide when the time comes. I really appreciate all of this guys. Youre great people. Wish me luck guys, hopefully i'll be joinin' the ranks!