View Full Version : Comfort quilts soften blow

thedrifter
02-25-07, 05:02 AM
Comfort quilts soften blow
Group sews fabric to present to families of 16 who died in war
BY MELODIE N. MARTIN
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Sunday, February 25, 2007

Like an old-fashioned quilting bee, dozens gathered at the Virginia War Memorial yesterday to enjoy one another's company while pinning and stitching away.

Working in assembly-line fashion, volunteers from central Virginia, Washington and the Tri-Cities area accomplished their mission -- completing 16 quilts for the families of Marine and Army personnel recently killed in Iraq.

Volunteer B.J. Harding became involved with the Marine Comfort Quilts group while her two nephews were serving with the Marines.

"When my nephews were in Iraq, I'd offer to send them care packages. They'd say, 'No, you're working on the Comfort Quilt project. We'd rather you do that,'" she said.

In addition to coordinating local group sewing events every few months, she assembles comfort quilts at her Colonial Heights home.

"I can't do anything to stop the war, I can't go to war, but I can do something to bring comfort to the families who have lost someone," Harding said. "That's about the only contribution I can make."

Marine Comfort Quilts Group was started in June 2003 by two Marine mothers from St. Louis, but its mission expanded to include surviving family of anyone killed in Operation Iraqi Freedom. More than 2,000 quilts have been completed or are near completion.

Each quilt features 30 squares, including one with the service member's name and another embroidered with his or her military-branch insignia. The other 28 squares are made and donated from individuals and groups from across the country. Measuring 12½ by 12½ inches, most carry comforting messages such as "Our hero. Fallen -- but never forgotten" and "Peace be with you."

Chesterfield County resident Brenda May, whose 31-year-old son, Marine Staff Sgt. Donald C. May Jr., was killed in Iraq in March 2003, attended yesterday's gathering. Along with pictures of her only child and his three children, she brought a quilt that her family received from the group.

"It was definitely an object of comfort because of where it came from. All these people from all over the United States donated squares in my son's honor. That's what made it so nice," May said. "Someone asked me if it was hard for me to be here today, but I'm more proud than sad today.

Theresa Wahl of Manassas, who is serving in the Air Force, has been assembling comfort quilts for two years. She said she doesn't want families of fallen soldiers to feel lost or forgotten.

"When you're on active duty, you feel you're part of the family," she said. "When you lose somebody, it's nice to make sure the parents, the spouses and the kids don't feel like they're out there on their own and not part of that anymore."

Using a thimble, Fred Kaspick used pliers to help his wife push a needle and embroidery floss through a quilt to secure its patches. Nancy Kaspick started making quilt squares when her son, Jason, went off to Marine Corps boot camp.

"I think it's nice when you snuggle up with one," she said. "It just makes you feel connected to all those people from all those different places."

Contact staff writer Melodie N. Martin at mmartin@timesdispatch.com or (804) 649-6290.

ONLINE: Visit www.marinecomfortquilts.us

Ellie