PDA

View Full Version : Joining with Asthma.

Hussar
02-23-07, 01:58 PM
Hello, my friend entered the DEP, and was in it for 7 months before he found out he has asthma. He can run the 1.5 mile in 12:30. He can do 15 pullups and the 100 situps. He was medically discharged...

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-23-07, 02:34 PM
Tell him to go get the tests done himself, take the results to a recruiter, and see if he can work it out.

Christ0ph
02-23-07, 02:44 PM
How the heck did he find out he had asthma with PFT stats like that? Most asthmatics can't run 1.5mi, let alone in 12:30 :scared:

devildoghopeful
02-23-07, 02:52 PM
Asthma can be very mild and sometimes not show itself at all when it comes to physical exercise, (just allergies etc)... I have mild asthma and can run the full 3 miles (21mins and falling!), max out on crunches and pull ups and still not feel the tightness of the chest.

Ask him whether his asthma has started to dissipate over the years since childhood. People can (but not always), grow out of asthma. If his asthma is getting better, he MIGHT be able to grow out of it in a couple of years, and then would stand a better chance of passing the medical. From what I've heard, regulations state that for someone to just pass the medical after having asthma, they can't have had symptoms since age 12. HOWEVER, if he can somehow prove that he has truly gotten over the asthma (regular spirograh [sp?] tests for about a year), then I THINK his condition can be waived.

When I was told that I couldn't join due to my childhood asthma, it totally tore me apart. I mean I was a complete wreck, all of my dreams had seemingly just been smashed. I know how your friend feels, I know this sounds cheesy but I guarentee you that he'll be needing a close friend right now, someone he can talk to honestly and openly with.

devildoghopeful
02-23-07, 02:58 PM
Oops, I forgot to read your post properly and it's too late to edit my last. As he's just found out he has asthma, like E4B said, have him get as many tests done as he can to prove them wrong. If they're right, then he can't join, his best bet is to wait a couple of years and hope it dissipates.

Good luck - my heart goes out to him, he must be feeling like s***.

Oh, and you might want to fill out your profile unless you want SSgt Nelson to tear you a new a**hole. :D

hawks
02-23-07, 05:28 PM
How the heck did he find out he had asthma with PFT stats like that? Most asthmatics can't run 1.5mi, let alone in 12:30 :scared:
Most but not all.

Master Sephiroth
02-23-07, 09:20 PM
Well he's very lucky. My Neurofibromatosis has disqualified me from any military service, let alone the Marine Corps

And yes, fill in your profile or SSgt. Nelson will...act accordingly

AshLynne
02-25-07, 05:33 PM
The big thing about asthma is when was the last time you used/needed an inhaler. If it was childhood asthma, you disqualified yourself. If you really want to be a Marine, you'll shut your mouth about asthma. I had sports related astham, meaning if i ran for long periods of time, it would flare up. And in the muggy weather of PI, it flared up. You can control those things if you
re desire is there.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-25-07, 05:49 PM
The big thing about asthma is when was the last time you used/needed an inhaler. If it was childhood asthma, you disqualified yourself. If you really want to be a Marine, you'll shut your mouth about asthma. I had sports related astham, meaning if i ran for long periods of time, it would flare up. And in the muggy weather of PI, it flared up. You can control those things if you
re desire is there.

Wrong answer. It is not OK to lie in order to get into the Marine Corps. There are reasons that the rules are in place. If you are not qualified it is better for everyone if you are not a Marine. The last thing that anyone needs to worry about is a Marine having an asthma attack during a fire fight. You lose your inhaler while you're on a patrol and end up having an asthma attack and pinpointing your location for anyone that has the ability to hear.

Have some integrity, and don't encourage others to give up their integrity. We're Marines, we're better than that.

AshLynne
02-25-07, 06:03 PM
Asthma goes away. As well as develops. I'm not telling then to comprise there own integrity, but childhood asthma rarely recurs. On the flip side, a friend of mine recieved a medicl discharge for...

Soon2BeVIP
02-25-07, 07:21 PM
Thats exactly how I see it. When I was 11 or 12 I was swimming and for some reason I just got really short of breath. I was just in the pool like normal. I wasn't swimming really fast or anything....

cplbrooks
02-25-07, 08:35 PM
re desire is there.

This is correct. It all depends on when the last time you needed your inhaler was.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-25-07, 11:16 PM
I could not disagree with the idea of telling him to hide it more. I know for a fact that you can get in after being honest about a history with asthma. I did it, and know of several other people...

devildoghopeful
02-26-07, 04:35 PM
Ok, I've got the official answer. I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my flight from Philadelphia back to London (I was here for college interviews and to visit my uncle). Before I went to the airport I decided to go and visit the OSO (Officer Selection Officer) on Market Street. Once there, I asked him frankly about what the deal was with asthma. You guys are right, it does depend on when you last used an inhaler. If it hasn't been for a few years, it should be fine. If there is any doubt, they'll send you to a doctor to have some sort of test (the name of which I can't remember). Basically, in that test they induce asthma, and in his words, "If you have asthma, you'll die, if you don't, you'll live and you can join the Corps". I said, "Fair deal, good enough for me"

bootlace15
02-26-07, 05:34 PM
ECHO FOUR BRAVO.......................BRAVO, no liers in the Corp,we are better than that. Do whats right,how can this person become a good leader if he lies.....................He's now FIRED............................

bootlace15 out

bootlace15
02-26-07, 05:35 PM
THATS OFFICIAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bootlace15 out

dpessing
03-05-07, 09:32 PM

I ran cross country and track in high school. I ran 8 minutes in the 1.5 mile, and sub 18 minutes in the 3 mile. I had asthma when I was little, so I wasn't able to get into the marines. I got accepted to VMI after high school, but I couldn't get an ROTC scholarship due to my asthma. Being in the marines is the only thing that I have ever wanted to do. I am a junior now at texas tech university. Is there any way that I can get in after I graduate if my asthma is pretty much non-existant?

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-05-07, 11:03 PM

I have asthma and can run three miles in 24 minutes now. While on active duty I could easily run well under that pace. Making general statements like that is usually a sure way to be wrong.

devildoghopeful
03-06-07, 03:32 AM
Dpessing, it all depends on when you last used your inhaler. They'll also run some tests. It's definately worth a try. Worst thing that can happen - You're told sorry, you're not eligible to be a Marine. Best thing - You're clear to take the ultimate test!

Christ0ph
03-06-07, 02:37 PM
I have asthma and can run three miles in 24 minutes now. While on active duty I could easily run well under that pace. Making general statements like that is usually a sure way to be wrong.

Did you work really hard to get in WITH asthma? Or did it show up after you were in?

Jesse2375
07-05-08, 08:20 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Jesse, first time on here thought i'd share my thoughts..

I'm 20 right now and have wanted to join since as long as i could remember. I wasnt told I couldn't get in with asthma until after I had graduated high school so as you can imagine it kind of ruined some dreams. So I accepted it and went off two college, two years later here i am again, wanting to do it.

Now I haven't had an attack since I moved out of my home, which I think is because I have allergy induced asthma, am allergic to cats and dogs, and you guessed it, there are cats and dogs in the home.

So I'm thinking if I could talk to a recruiter and plan on going in when i finish getting my bachelors in 2 years, and perhaps go that long without needing an inhaler, that should prove I don't need it. I really think that I would be able to get through training no problem, I'm very active in sports.

I've always wanted to be infantry but know that worse case scenario, if I had an attack during a critical time it would be very bad, so I think if i could join as someone not directly on the front line I could avoid that.

So I guess its off to a recruiter this week to see what happens, any advice or thoughts to bring with me??

Jesse

darkgreen0311
07-05-08, 08:34 PM
First before you see a recruiter you need to go to a doctor and get a second opinion. I can almost guarantee that's what he's going to tell you.

:marine::flag: Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

DGardner
07-05-08, 08:49 PM
Go get a Pulmonary Function Test... they aren't horribly expensive, and your recruiter is going to have to get you to get one anyway.... so why not go in and get one before hand. :)

JJA1990
07-05-08, 09:51 PM
I am about to go up to MEPS myself and will have to try to get a waiver for asthma. Like DGardner said, take some PFT's. I took the methacodine challenge, and another one.. both came up negative for asthma.. You will probably have to go to your local hospital for the methacodine challenge.. It isnt hard at all, just do your best. I am fine, always have been if you ask me, but like many other I had a worrying mother as a young lad. I'm hoping I can get a waiver, and hopefully you can too.

Jesse2375
07-07-08, 08:57 PM
Ok so I went to the recruiter today....heres what he said....

As long as my asthma isn't bothering me anymore and I continue to call it "childhood asthma" all I need to do is sign a waiver saying that I have no more problem with it. I'm not sure if he isn't that informed about it or what but every time I bring it up he just says, "I'm not worried about that you look fit and if you exercise you'll be fine."

So I'm not real sure exactly what to think of it, it'd be a dream come true if it works out, he's talking about me going to boot camp in January, maybe do the reserves until I finish college. We'll see how it goes I'm off to talk to them again tomorrow.

Jesse

darkgreen0311
07-07-08, 09:05 PM
You still need to get that pulmonary test done anyway. Boot Camp is very physical and if you're in college and haven't been doing anything physical boot camp could make your asthma flare up because you haven't been active. Still get that test done.

:marine: Semper Fi 4 Life

Jesse2375
07-07-08, 09:20 PM
Yeah thats a good point, I play a lot of sports in college though and stay pretty active. Also I've been doing P90X which is a workout, and if u don't know what it is LOOK IT UP it's amazing.

I'll probably do that PFT soon, does anyone know is that the thing that you blow once real hard and measure how far you blew the gauge?

Motorola07
07-07-08, 09:26 PM
The methacholine challenge test will cost you about 900-1100$ if you dont have insurance. Thats the test they induce you into an asthma attack. The Navy/Marine Corps lowered the standards from 25mg to 15mg to reduce the failure rate back in i believe 2004.. I took the test with 25mg and passed it by 10%... you have a 10% chance to fail the test, if you drop 20% they stop the test.. Im waiting on MEPS to accept me back in. Should have an answer tomorrow.

JJA1990
07-07-08, 11:56 PM
I just want to also say, that your recruiter may give you the option of just never mentioning ever having asthma to the people at MEPS. I personally refuse to take that path because it isnt honest and honesty is one large part of having integrity.

Have integrity, do the right thing, if its meant in the books for you to be a United States Marine, then you will be.

JJA1990
07-07-08, 11:58 PM
Oh and Motorola I dont know how accurate that information is.. from my understanding, the strictest standards are a drop of 15% is declared asthmatic, while most are up to 20%. I dont know, you may very well be right.. I suppose its a decision left up to the Corps.

Motorola07
07-08-08, 09:10 AM
I put the wrong # in it, its if you drop 20% you fail the test, thats how they ran the #'s for me.

JJA1990
07-08-08, 01:18 PM
Ok, that makes sense then.

brucebruce299
11-27-08, 03:22 AM
ive been gettin seriuos about joining the military lately. i had athsma when i was a child, and i made sure the recruiter knew. when i run and do physical things im not hard for breathing and my chest doesnt tighten. i can hear a little bit of weazing but it doesnt phase me. i havent used an inhaler in years. like i said i told the recruiter this and he said if u dont think u have athsma, then u dont. i under stand of echo 4's point that someone unfit to serve should not serve. but does this really make me unfit to serve?

cohenjacob
03-19-09, 12:15 PM
I have a close friend that has wanted to join the Marine Corps since we were five. However, he has been diagnosed with asthma since 13 on till now. He has been researching the Marines and found out...

KawiGunny
03-19-09, 12:35 PM
You need to go fill out your profile!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you would have taken the time to read the site rules then this would be a response to you post but since you obviously are to excited about being here I guess you over looked that.

Clay22
03-19-09, 01:40 PM
I had an asthma attack when i was 8 or so...but it was nothing serious. I made it serious and was able to fake it...I did so till my sophmore year in highschool where I saw the financial ruin I had lied me and my mom into. I know Im healthy enough to pass breathing tests the only thing I worry about physically is that Ive been smoking since I can remember. Started with a puff off mom cigg when she would leave it un attended. never inhaled till I was 14 when i started getting my own packs and was addicted by 17 its a great stress reliever and id rather die of ciggs and bullets young than die of nothing when im old. My question is How do i prove I dont have asthma with my extensive medical record? its completly false. Im 21 and im done being a peice of ****. I want to be in the ****. with u guys. Ive wanted to enlist my whole life...thinkin of marine core for 2+ years and im ready to do it...but i need advice on this matter first. Is there a way to revoke or void my medical record? Im sure I can pass any pulminary test...my only concern is being able to cough up all this mess inside my lungs during bootcamp as im sure my lung capacity has suffered. My next question is this....I talked to a recruiter 6 or 7 months ago and he nearly packed his stuff up and left after I told him the last time i had an asthma attack was 15 (it was a lie) then I told him the truth about lieing just to get out of school early or not go at all. He seemed like it could make it happen for me....I didnt follow thru however. I was deep in the throws of marijuana and flat out refused to bust ass to get my system cleared. My recruiter new this and let me be. I talked to this recruiter in ohio...im now in oklahoma. I want to be a marine but I dont want my peice of **** history to stop me...how can I do this?

NoRemorse
03-19-09, 01:46 PM
Profile up... use paragraphs... capitalize Marine, Marines and Marine Corps... take out the expletives...

Oh, and we don't feel sorry for you.

cohenjacob
03-19-09, 02:28 PM
I have a close friend that has wanted to join the Marine Corps since we were five. However, he has been diagnosed with asthma since 13 on till now. He has been researching the Marines and found out...

KawiGunny
03-19-09, 02:47 PM
"Your friend" needs to understand that if he lies about his medical condition and it is found out later......fraudulant enlistment........brig time.....kicked the fock out. As far as the...

KawiGunny
03-19-09, 02:48 PM
ive been gettin seriuos about joining the military lately. i had athsma when i was a child, and i made sure the recruiter knew. when i run and do physical things im not hard for breathing and my chest doesnt tighten. i can hear a little bit of weazing but it doesnt phase me. i havent used an inhaler in years. like i said i told the recruiter this and he said if u dont think u have athsma, then u dont. i under stand of echo 4's point that someone unfit to serve should not serve. but does this really make me unfit to serve?

Fill out your profile.

cohenjacob
03-19-09, 10:14 PM
"Your friend" needs to understand that if he lies about his medical condition and it is found out later......fraudulant enlistment........brig time.....kicked the fock out. As far as the clearence......rank is not an issue. Tell "your friend" that the Marine Corps doesn't want liers and to go check with the Army.

Maybe he should join the Army? LOL, I'll make him the offer. What did you mean by "rank is not an issue"? When will they check his medical records? He's convinced they never will.

KawiGunny
03-20-09, 06:49 AM
Maybe he should join the Army? LOL, I'll make him the offer. What did you mean by "rank is not an issue"? When will they check his medical records? He's convinced they never will.

If he has asthma, it will bother him down the line. After the medical officers treat him and do some test, they will find out that this was a pre-existing illness and report it as such. As far as the rank is not an issue...... any rank can be submitted for a security clearance depending on their jobs they are tasked with.

And yes, try to convince him not to join our ranks. If he is willing to lie now, he will continue to lie once he is in. "Marines don't lie, cheat or steal"

Volcom1117
04-11-09, 11:38 PM
KawiGunny, What if cohenjacob maybe had some kind of acutye childhood asthma, and then in Boot Camp It reacurred?? Would he be able to tell the truth about how he hasn't needed his inhalor since he was a child?

Leather2013
04-11-11, 08:53 AM
re desire is there.

But don't they check your med. records?

USMC Infantry
04-11-11, 12:28 PM
this is a 2 year old thread...

Leather2013
04-14-11, 08:37 AM
yea, I realized that after a bit.