View Full Version : Captain Determined to Make World of Difference

thedrifter
02-23-07, 09:23 AM
Captain Determined to Make World of Difference

Barrett brings strength, determination to school, sports, and his country

Published On Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:07 PM

By ALEXANDRA J. MIHALEK

Contributing Writer

Senior track leader Sean Barrett is no stranger to a challenge. Whether captaining a three-season varsity sport or managing his grueling academic schedule, he has always been able to overcome obstacles. However, as spring approaches and graduation looms near, Barrett will face another test—he has signed up to serve in the United States Marines.

Barrett has spent the last two summers at Officer Candidacy School, preparing for his entrance into the US Marines.

With his intelligence, athletic prowess and charisma, it seems that any career path could have been the right one for Barrett. However, his decision to join the Marines was not a difficult one, and was rooted in his youth.

“I went to Catholic school,” Barrett said. “They teach you that we’re each born with talents. I thought and prayed about this a lot, and I feel that joining the Marines is my calling.”

Barrett also cites Harvard’s strong history of military service in his decision, especially the alumni who donate their names to Memorial Hall, Memorial Church, and the stone archways above the older River houses.

“Harvard graduates have served honorably in wars past and present in order to protect their country,” Barrett said. “They are heroes. I am just an ordinary person that wants to serve his country, but hasn’t done anything yet.”

Among the greatest assets to him in his military training was his speed, something to which anyone acquainted with Harvard’s track program could attest.

“Because I’m fast, stick out,” Barrett said. “The drill instructors like having the best person in their platoon. It helps get on their good side.”

However, anyone familiar with Sean Barrett would know that he doesn’t need to rely on his speed to win people over—his personality has helped him gain the admiration of his coaches, teammates, and peers.

“Sean is a great guy,” said freshman distance runner Vito Cannavo. “He’s really admirable and I’m really glad to have known him.”

Barrett’s dedication and work ethic make him a role model to his teammates, and an ideal athlete for any coach.

“Sean has been a pleasure to coach,” said first-year track and field coach Jason Saretsky. “He brings a certain tenacity to the sport that’s great to see.”

This drive has helped Barrett overcome one of his biggest athletic obstacles, his constant battle with allergies and asthma, which can flare up during the outdoor season.

“He said, ‘I really want to go for it this indoor season,’” Saretsky said, and that is exactly what Barrett has done. Coming off a fourth place finish in the mile at last weekend’s USATF New England Championships, he will be leading the Crimson in this weekend’s Heptagonals meet, which serves as the Ivy League championship, running the 5k.

Barrett has also excelled in academics through his determination, by amplifying the already demanding Harvard course load.

“I’m kind of weird,” Barrett joked. “I’ve taken extra classes each semester. It keeps [you] entertained, I guess.”

These traits will undoubtedly help Barrett in his service for the next four years, where he will draw on many of the lessons he has learned from his participation in track.

“There are a lot of crossover characteristics,” Barrett said, as he spoke of Navy Seal recruiters from his hometown of San Diego who visit ultra-marathons over the summer to enlist runners for their mental and physical toughness.

“They are complimentary, they build on each other,” he added.

Barrett faces a daunting task in the approaching year in his quest to serve his country and enter the ranks of the heroes. However, he has been able to overcome countless obstacles in the past.

“I think Sean is prepared for any challenges in life,” Saretsky said. “He’s the type of person who will be able to handle anything thrown at him.”

This ability will be sure to help him in his first year as a Marine, especially in his upcoming basic training.

“It’s really fun to joke about it now, but it can really suck when you’re doing it,” said Barrett, who will rely on his friends from training to help him through his service. “You develop a common bond, common experiences, so you know that the person next to you isn’t going to let you down, you’re going to accomplish the mission, and you’re not going to leave anyone behind.”

As for now, Barrett is busy focusing on the next race and an Ivy League championship.

“My plan is to go for it and race to win,” he said. “I’m a senior. This is the last go-around.”

Whether for Harvard or his country, you can be certain of one thing—that Sean Barrett is prepared to fi

Ellie