PDA

View Full Version : Marines use VTC to fire Cupid's arrow

thedrifter
02-15-03, 10:51 PM
MARCENT Marines use VTC to fire Cupid's arrow
Submitted by: Marine Forces Central Command
Story Identification Number: 200321502723
Story by Gunnery Sgt. Shannon Arledge

PERSIAN GULF(Feb. 14, 2003) -- It's just after 2 a.m. in the Middle East and Marines and Sailors are on constant guard; some still working; some trying to catch a few hours of sleep before daylight breaks over the desert plain.

Mere hours ago, Chief Weapons Inspector Hans Blix addressed the United Nations Security Council on the status of ongoing inspections in Iraq. Military bases throughout the Middle East have upgraded force protection conditions to guard against potential terrorist attacks. These are tense times. Everyone in uniform here can attest to that.

Morale is at an all-time high and a few Marine Forces Central Command (MARCENT) Marines decided to stay up late tonight, specifically this morning. They aren't cleaning weapons or guarding perimeters. These Marines are waiting for a chance to talk to loved ones (their valentines) in the United States.

Valentine's Day has passed here. But, many Americans back home are getting ready for dinner out with their "Sweethearts." Marines and Sailors here do not have that luxury. Many of them have already missed Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Thanks to leaps in technology these service members will (at least for a few minutes) spend Valentines Day with their "valentines" at home.

Video Teleconferencing (VTC) has become a key method of communication for war fighters. But now, these war fighters have been given the opportunity to use the VTC to share Valentines Day with their families or significant others.

"It took a lot of effort," said Lt. Miles R. Clarke, the chaplain for Marine Forces Central Command. "It's all about morale and you get a good feeling from the smiles."

The Chaplain started the MARCENT Valentine's VTC project a few weeks ago taking the time to identify points of contact in Camp Lejeune, N.C., Camp Pendleton, Calif., and Marine Forces Pacific, Hawaii.

"The hardest part was getting the name and number to the VTC operators stateside," said the Chaplain. "The Key Volunteers at each location really stepped up and assisted. They've called the families and helped coordinate with technicians on their ends."

It's 2:45 a.m., February 15 here now, and 6:45 p.m., Valentine's Day at Camp Lejeune. Sgt. Billy G. Beene, 25, from Shreveport, La., has been anxiously waiting to speak with his wife Kadeidra, 4-year-old daughter Kadejah, and his 6-month-old son Deion. (Sgt. Beene arrived in the Persian Gulf with 8th Communications Battalion just two days before Christmas and is excited to have gotten this chance to see his family.)

"I was a little nervous about seeing them for the first time," said Beene. "I am so happy. This made my Valentine's Day more special. I'm prepared for this deployment, but somehow this seems to have given me more strength to push on; it was like heaven."

"Thank God for modern technology and the operators," said Clarke. "I tip my hat to the Marines and civilians, who man the machines, who make this happen. This is another way the Chaplain Corps can embrace the technology available to us."

Lance Cpl. Evan S. Spence, 22, a native of Asheville, N.C., also serves with 8th Communications Battalion. It's 4:15 a.m., just after 8 at night on the East Coast. He too is excited to see and talk to his family. His wife Lynne is waiting for the connection at Camp Lejeune.

Spence remarked, "This technology is amazing. I never expected to see Lynne like this. This was one of the most exhilarating things I've ever experienced. I will remember it for the rest of my life."

"This speaks volumes for the care of the troops and their families. The fact that the command sponsored this is great. We were granted 'air time' that may have otherwise been used for other purposes," said Clarke.

Spence said the VTC gave him more assurance that his wife is coping well. He added, "You can always tell how good someone is doing by the expressions on their face. Lynne looked great, she's beautiful, and just seeing her was enough to keep me going. This was priceless."

The VTCs took over 9 hours and 36 Marines participated, each spending 10-15 minutes with someone special back home.

"I was excited and anxious going in," said Sgt. Joseph J. Martin, 28, from Independence, Mo. He spoke to his wife Melissa, and two boys, 5-year-old Parker, and 2-year-old Ethan at their home base of Marine Forces Pacific, Hawaii.

"Technology like this was never available to me on deployments before. The VTC makes it easier for families to handle long deployments and it boosts morale," added Martin. "We're lucky to have telephones, but this is a step up. Having the opportunity to see my boys and wife [now] was something I never thought of when I got here Dec. 2."

"This Valentine's Day is even more special because of the time we are living in," added the Chaplain. "I'm grateful we were given the opportunity to give these Marines a visual image [in real time] of their loved ones."

The Marines of Marine Forces Central Command were given a unique gift this year. There might have been tears and sadness (because of the separation), but there was one thing these Marines shared-Love XXXOOO.

Sempers,

Roger