PDA

View Full Version : Back In A Line Of 'fire'

thedrifter
02-23-07, 08:05 AM
BACK IN A LINE OF 'FIRE'

By STEPHANIE GASKELL

February 23, 2007 -- They served their country in war, and now they will serve the city.

Meet the newest members of the Fire Department - 23 firefighters who served in the military graduated from the Fire Academy yesterday.

That's the highest number of veterans for any class in FDNY history.

Mayor Bloomberg, who presided over the ceremony in which 194 firefighters graduated, asked the 23 veterans to stand and receive a round of applause.

"We have young men and women around the world fighting to protect us, whether fighting overseas in the armed forces, or here saving lives or fighting crime here in our city," the mayor said at the ceremony at Brooklyn College.

"It is all part of the same battle to make sure that we Americans and hopefully everyone around the world has the opportunity to say what we want to say and pray the way we want to pray and have a better life for our children and our grandchildren."

One of the veteran firefighters, Stephen Marley, 22, of The Bronx, returned home last April from serving eight months in Iraq with the Marines. It was his second tour there. He also served in Afghanistan.

Marley, a Purple Heart recipient, said serving in the Marines helped him train to be a firefighter.

"You always have a brother next to you that you can depend on," he said yesterday.

"We work together for a common cause. The Marines taught me teamwork, to look out for each other. With good guys next to you, you can do anything."

Marley comes from a long line of firefighters. His great-grandfather was a firefighter, and his father, Stephen Sr., is currently a firefighter.

"If it's in my blood - then so be it," he said.

He is humble about his service to his country.

"I just look back at the guys who didn't make it home - they're the heroes," he said.

Eric Mussinan, also a 22-year-old from The Bronx who won a Purple Heart, served a year in Iraq on the Army's Explosive Ordinance Disposal team, which finds and explodes roadside bombs.

"The things you see over there will hopefully prepare me for this job," he said. "But there is the same camaraderie. Everybody is close to each other. And there is honor and integrity."

stephanie.gaskell@nypost.com

Ellie