PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Marine Works to Save Lives of Troops

thedrifter
02-22-07, 02:00 PM
Indiana Marine Works to Save Lives of Troops

Feb 22, 2007 09:11 AM

By Karen Hensel
News 8 @ 11:00

WASHINGTON D.C. - An Indiana company is in Washington working to save the lives of American troops at war.

I-Team 8 has been investigating the helmets worn by troops for nearly a year. We traveled to Iraq to get answers on padding inside the helmets worn by U.S. troops, padding that prevents deaths and brain injuries from roadside bombs. Now an Indiana Marine is taking what he learned in Iraq to Washington.

I-Team 8 met with Marines who were all turret gunners in Iraq, the eyes of the Humvee and the first to spot a roadside bomb.

Karen: "It is that guy up in the turret that is really the tip of the spear?"

Marine Corporal Cole Dial: "Yes, if someone is going to get hurt, it is going to be him and it is more than debris or shrapnel flying at you. When the Humvee gets hit, the entire thing lifts up. You're not strapped in at all and you'll get the back of a rifle right in your face."

The bomb blast can cause massive damage: shrapnel through the face, brain injuries, even death.

"They've got the shoulder pads, the vest, the helmet and nothing for the face," Marine Reserve Benjamin Mahan explained.

That's when Mahan came up with a faceplate made out of composite kevlar instead of the current Lexan face shield. It simply attaches to the current issue helmet.

M-Tek ran tests using a .44 Magnum at close range, just six inches away. Without the faceplate there was massive damage to the dummy. With the faceplate, there is no damage.

"I over designed it because I, and my friends, would be wearing it so I took it a step further," Mahan said.

An injury kept Mahan from redeploying but he sent prototypes with Marines who field tested it.

Karen: "You wore the mask?"

Corporal Cole Dial: "Yes."

Karen: "How did you feel differently?"

Corporal Cole Dial: "I don't feel as afraid to stand up and look around. That's the first thing that shows up is your face."

Former Marine Steve Jordan: "When I wore it I felt that much more secure and wasn't afraid to stick my head up above the shield on the gun."

The reaction of other Marines?

"Jealousy," Corporal Dial said. "They asked why their unit doesn't have it. No unit has it."

Benjamin and his father, both from Martinsville, are behind M-Tek Weapons Systems. They met with the U.S. Army for initial evaluation Wednesday in Washington D.C. They said the meetings went well and the Army may do field testing in the next few weeks.

Ellie