PDA

View Full Version : Kick my ass

JennyJake
02-15-03, 06:03 PM
And I was doing so good... and BOOM! I sabotage myself again. I'm falling off the wagon and can't seem to get back on. HELP Poolees!! I need some motivation, PT success stories, help getting through these icy days when I can't get out of the house (and away from the fridge). Ideas?

I'm scared to call my recruiter cause I would just have to tell him that I'm STILL to fat to DEP. I'm not even sure if he still has my paperwork, its been so long since we last talked. I'm so pathetic.

Even if it's just to tell me what a loser I am I would like to have some feedback. Even being called a loser is better then being ignored.

thedrifter
02-15-03, 06:22 PM
JennyJake

First thing first.....Change your Attitude......
"Marines Are Never Losers"

Next I understand, winter weather can cause obstucles for us...and challeges are a Marine's Life...."Adapt and Over Come"....

There is all kinds of PT you can do in the house...
from jogging in place, sit ups, push ups, etc....

So no more side stepping.....Get yourself moving.....

The Drifter

doubletaps
02-15-03, 06:30 PM
Listen loser,
your biggest problem is self discipline. You wanted it tough so i am going to give it to you just the way you need to hear it. You need to get off your lazy but and set a strict schedule that you need to adhere to every day. How much are you overweight? The biggest thing you need to do is set a time for what you eat and when you eat. eat moderate portons of healthy food, lay off the junk food ENTIRELY. No sodas or pop of any kind. Do not eat anything not even a grape after 7:30 PM. and PT your but off the rest of the day until you drop. How bad you want it is how bad you are going to push yourself. before entering the Corps I was 40 lbs overweight and lost every last stinking pound. If I did it then so can you. Talk to me and well see if you have what it takes. Keep drinking water as well. IS MY BOOT FAR ENOUGH UP YOUR BUTT YET!!!!!!!!!!!!1

greensideout
02-15-03, 07:00 PM
Don't ask someone else to kick your butt to get you motivated.

Kick your own tail-side. You are the only one that can achieve your dreams and aspirations!

Go for it!!

ktriplett
02-15-03, 07:06 PM
I don't like this attitude. If you want help, you've got to get in the right frame of mind. I sent you an private message. If you're serious about making some changes, reply. If you aren't serious, don't bother us.

Osotogary
02-15-03, 08:04 PM
JennyJake,
You have been given some great advise from all who have posted for your behalf. I don't know if what I'm about to say will have any impact on your personal decision to "adapt and overcome" but here it goes.
At the age of 52 I was issued the rank of Shodan in Judo. Know this. All my class mates were at least thirty years younger than I was. Know this. There were very few of those younger students that wanted to be thrown. They only wanted to throw. (They missed out because there is a tremendous amount of knowledge to be gained by being thrown.) Know this. That most of the younger students far surpassed me in flexibility and endurance. Know this. I just outlasted them. I stuck with it and they looked for compromises in training. Granted, I was probably given a break because of my age but heck, those young studs should have been right up there with me getting their credentials but they all decided to pursue other paths and their training habits showed it.
Know this. I am not frickn Superman nor anyone special. Just stubborn and a product of some good teachers and influences. Do I have faults? Heck, yes. I'm probably just like you..in a way. You have the opportunity to learn at a young age what others wait to learn many years later. Dedicate yourself to learn from this group. You are going to have to dig deep into the old school way of doing things (the advise that was given before me) and follow your dreams and ambitions to the end. You will do it. I know that you can.
Best wishes,
Gary

JChristin
02-15-03, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by JennyJake
Ideas?

Even if it's just to tell me what a loser I am I would like to have some feedback.

Marine's are never losers. I'd like to hold your hand for you and walk you through everything that needs to be done. But, that ain't gonna happen. You want to be a Marine, you've gotta start acting like one. That old saying: "Act as if" applies here.

If becoming a Marine is the most paramount goal in your life right now, then you'll do what it takes to get there. It ain't easy. It isn't meant to be. What would be the point if it were? If you are one of us in heart, you'll join us in body and spirit as well. You've got what it takes, tap into it.

You can do anything at anytime under any condition and meet any cause.

My diet is:
fruit: oranges and banana's, no apple's - too much sugar
salads with vingarette dressings

I toss in a protein bar for added protein and will eat one-half of a peanut butter sandwich every other day.

No soft-drinks. One gallon or more of water everyday

I work out, at a serious gym - not a spanex haven - everday. One day I work on upper body, the next day I work on lower body. Everyday I do cardio on the trend mill. A dry sauna will help to bring out water and salts in the skin.

Good luck

semper fi
jchristin

Seeley
02-15-03, 08:34 PM
JennyJake if you really want I can kick you in your ass but I don't think thats really what you want. Just get off your ass instead and find something athletic that interests you. That is most likely your problem right there. You aren't interested in what you are doing to get in shape or you don't want to become a Marine all that bad. Find what it is and make a good decision on it. I hope you make the right one.

Good luck,
Seeley

greensideout
02-15-03, 08:52 PM
Well said Gary, "There is a tremendous amount of knowledge to be gained by being thrown." That pretty much says it all.
When life or yourself gives you a throw, you pick yourself up and gain from what happened. Use that knowledge to overcome.

Gary, I grew up on Judo. It was very helpful for hand- to-hand combat training in bootcamp. The follow through to maim or kill was the only difference. I was a little advanced for that course. LOL

"I give you a bow."

wrbones
02-15-03, 09:57 PM
OK. She asked for it. Quit feedin' yer face and get off yer fat ass and start movin'!

The POOL-ee Halee and Marine Mentor forums have all the info you need for setting up an exercise and diet program. Links, info, testamonilas, the works.

Do some readin. PLEASE! It's all there!

ktriplett and Seeley are startin' to see why us old farts are so hard on the FNG's.! LOL. **** gets old after awhile, don't it! LOL :D

leroy8541
02-15-03, 10:14 PM
Yes a bow for Gary for achieving the rank of Shodan at the age of 52 very impressive!!! Judo plays a major role in hand to hand techniques in the Marine Corp in a fire fight the place to killl by...

wrbones
02-15-03, 11:31 PM
Jenny,

I got to thinkin' after I posted my response here.

We pretty much take folks at their word, but I was wonderin'.

Just how fat are you? Weight and height? Might give some of us a better idea of what advice would best suit.

JennyJake
02-16-03, 08:04 AM
Stats as requested....

Height: 5'6"
Highest weight: 183
Lowest weight: 153
Current Weight: 168
Weight to ship: 150

Current PFT stats:
FAH: 47 sec
Situps: 96
Run: 28:40 <--- treadmill
27:05 <--- track

And I did suck it up and called my recruiter last night. Yeah, got the machine so I'll call him again Monday or go in Tuesday before I hit the gym. I'm not expecting him to get to the office this weekend with all the sleet and icy rain out.

Thanks for the jump start everyone!

firstsgtmike
02-16-03, 09:35 AM
I'm going to start a pool. The winner gets a bottle of Jack Daniels in the Slop Shute.

If JennyJake toughs out 18 lbs and makes the 150 lb shipping weight, how much will she weigh when she graduates from Parris Island?

Tiebreaker: If her fiance doesn't see her between now and the time she graduates from MCRD, how long will it take him to recognize her in a group of ten women?

ktriplett
02-16-03, 11:01 AM
hey First Sergeant, is that pool open to poolees 21 and over? :)

Seeley
02-16-03, 11:18 AM
Haha yeah really now

wrbones
02-16-03, 12:45 PM
OK, Jenny, lots of running and jogging. Can you say "Cardio" ?

CAS3
02-17-03, 04:36 PM
Jenny,
I was the exact same weight before I shipped. When I got out of PI I was an amazing 140 lbs.
Same height as you too.
After three kids and no PTing, I am still under 150!
You can do it and trust me, your DI's will not let you be overweight.
Keep up the workout routine, whatever works for you.
AND STAND WHEN YOU ARE AT THE COMPUTER...You won't want to stay online for a long time!!

JChristin
02-17-03, 04:47 PM
Woman,

You can do anything, ANYTHING. Like Collen said, your DI's will not let you go over in weight. Should that happen, you could be placed in CAS Squad for whatever length of time it took to lose the pound or two to get back into regulations. But the most important thing is to earn the title: United State Marine.

ARE YOU WILLING TO GO TO ANY LENGTH?

You've got the support of two WM's right here.

DO IT!

semper fi
jchristin

USMCguyTX
02-17-03, 05:44 PM
im with doubletaps.....i have lost 12 pounds so far. and im trying to lose every ounce of it.....im not in shape cuase i havent done crap in a year....thanks to college.....now im saying forget what everybody else wanted me to do, so im finaly doing something i have always wanted to do, and thats join the Marines! And im busting my butt trying to get back into shape....my recruitor told me to make it one meal a day for a week and drink nothing but water.....i run 1.5 miles twice a day every other day, crunches, push ups, pull ups, and etc.....do what you have to do and suck it up!!!! And remember pain is just weakness leaving the body!

JChristin
02-17-03, 05:58 PM
Be smart with the workouts. Pain may be weakness leaving the body, but pain is also tellin ya something. Learning to listen to your body will become your finest asset. Be in it for the long-term, not the short-term. If your body feels "hurt-good" you'll know the difference from "hurt-bad." Fast weight lose is just fast weight gain waiting to happen. Do it the right way the first time and it will cut down the percentage rate of returning to redo the exercise over again.

Think I remember my old Senior Drill Instructor, SSGT. Price saying something along those lines...

JUMP
Go Ahead.

JUMP
Go on, JUMP

Jump into the pool of life.

He who learns to swim, lives.
He who drowns, well - better luck next life.

Semper Fi Devil Dogs
jchristin

thedrifter
02-17-03, 06:45 PM
Jenny, you have been given very good advise by the Marines in here.......Now it is up to you to follow thru.........If you have it in your Heart and Soul to be a Marine, you will be able to accomplish all your goals to become a United States Marine. Someday we hope to welcome you into the Brotherhood/Sisterhood.

The Drifter

JennyJake
02-17-03, 06:54 PM
Thanks all! Without going into the details, I just want to say that you've just rebuilt my faith in the goodness of people. THANK YOU for being there when the people I should be closest to try to drag me down. Motivation comes from within, but sometimes we need a nod that tells us we are doing the right thing.

Update! Jake lost 2 lbs as of right now, just from nixing the soda and cutting some fat. :) I'm not going to weigh myself for another week though. Expect big results next Monday! I'm on a mission.

*high five* THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU AGAIN!

CAS3
02-17-03, 07:58 PM
FROM JCRISTIN
You can do anything, ANYTHING. Like Collen said, your DI's will not let you go over in weight. Should that happen, you could be placed in CAS Squad for whatever length of time it took to lose the pound or two to get back into regulations. But the most important thing is to earn the title: United State Marine.

Just so you know, I never went to the fatty plattoon! One plattoon 4019 all thru PI!!!

Alexander Haile
02-17-03, 08:38 PM
Being a winner is good. (In fact, it's the best.) But in the end, being a winner or a loser doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned, it's okay to be a loser, just as long as your not a quiter! People lose from time to time. Sometimes that loss comes with dire consiquences. But as long as you gave it your all and never gave up, no one in their right mind will judge you. Sure, winning is better than losing, but is losing better than quiting? I think not.

firstsgtmike
02-17-03, 10:09 PM
Alexander,

I agree with your post, EXCEPT, I don't like the term "loser" in the context in which you used it.

Olympic records are set because the achiever tried and failed to attain the next increment.

If he set a new world's record at x, is he a loser because he failed at x+1?

We can't all be world record holders, and sometimes we give up, because that goal seems impossible to achieve.

The journey of a million miles begins one step at a time. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

A more reachable and attainable goal, on a daily basis, is to surpass your personal best.

Remember to take it one bite at a time, otherwise you may get integestion. If you did 14 yesterday, today's goal is 15. Don't try for 18, because 19 tomorrow will be a *****.

One bite, one forward step at a time.

Trying to exceed your personal level of perfection does not make you a loser. Only a quitter is a loser.

A marathon runner who crosses the finish line four hours after the winner and the crowds have gone home is not a loser. He has established a new goal for himself. Next time, to finish ahead of at least one other runner. (and I'll bet he does it.)

Don't you agree?

JChristin
02-18-03, 02:35 AM
Know what's better than winning?

NOTHING.

No losers, just winners.

Yesterday I ran 5 miles on the trend mill, today I did 5.25 miles. Amazing, since I was told I would never run again after being struck by a drunk driver two years ago. Doctor had no ideal who he was talking too. OOOH RAH!

"Trust in God
Believe in Yourself
Push beyond your limits,
push, really push, now push,
Now push harder!
Never give up,
Never Stop,
Never."

semper fi
jchristin

ktriplett
02-18-03, 08:35 AM
Good job JChristin! That's an amazing accomplishment! I had no doubts that Marines are the best, but reading that just confirmed it even more. Wow....

jenrmurray
02-18-03, 09:05 AM
awesome, Jenny. I am pumped to see that you're so motivated! I still say you should come out here for a month of hard core-ness! ;)

Lock-n-Load
02-18-03, 09:26 AM
Just listening to how you express yourself...I predict you will never become a Boot....once you constantly state, you can't do it...YOU WON'T...as you are programing your brain to fail...it's subliminal programing...you have low self esteem and no self confidence...do yourself a favor and try to join an ARMY of one...this way, your "seat on the bus" will be taken by a far better feather/merchant...let the ARMY of one...see your fat-ass....no loss to the Government!!! :chinese: LtG

firstsgtmike
02-18-03, 11:51 AM
JChristin,

I have a friend who does ten miles every day on a treadmill.

Does that make you a loser?

Please explain your answer.

JChristin
02-18-03, 04:31 PM
Loser? NOT AT ALL.

First, it would be unfair of myself to judge others against my capabilities. Being tall and stronger than most my peers (women) I cannot "expect" most of them to do as well as I in sports. I cannot afford to compare apples to oranges.

Second, it would be unfair on me to judge myself against another. Goes back to comparing apples to oranges.

I set my own achievment records and goals. They are not based upon another persons performance abilities or lack thereof.

However, when I rebuild my performance to achieve a level as your friend, then it would be fun to compare running time and endurance abilities. Until then, I am happy to be achieving what I have been, and have the desire to keep pushing myself to achieve higher and harder to reach goals.

Does this answer your question? What is your running mileage and time?

Semper fi
jchristin

Barndog
02-18-03, 07:55 PM
So is comparing the turtle to the hare.

Whats the point again? I ain't built for speed. Power. Endurance. When yer sleepin and beat down, I'm still going.
Takes 3 of you and 1 of me. Mind over matter. You don't mind, it doesn't matter.

What's the excuse again?

JChristin
02-18-03, 08:13 PM
I like that, "Power and Endurance." That is exactly what I am working towards while retraining me body after a car accident. Especially, endurance. I remember building that during boot. Hated it then. Have good memories of it now. Strive for it today. Hey, it's a character thing, or so I'm told.

Bought myself a nice little Trek mountain bike last year. I outride those speed riders on their road bikes. Like Barndog said, "Mind over matter." Kinda like when your DI is ****ed as hell at ya for some kind of infraction and is talking nose to nose at you. "Mind over matter."

semper fi
jchristin

03Infantry
02-23-03, 12:45 AM
what you need is a picture of a DI on your fridge....every time you look at it it will be good motivation for you not to eat. If you need more motivation under the DI's picture put something like, " get the hell out of the fridge you fat body!!!""" that should do it

leroy8541
02-23-03, 01:13 AM
HAVE WE lOST THE WEIGHT YET SWEETHEART? or are we still sittin in front of te comp? one step at a time sweetheart, first step get off that robust booty!!! Barndog is right its all about endurance. Mind over Matter,if you don't Mind it don't Matter!!!!

JennyJake
02-23-03, 06:54 AM
YES!! Progress is being made....

Current Weight : 163!!!

firstsgtmike
02-23-03, 07:48 AM
JennyJake,

I'm not a physical fitness buff, although I should start getting serious about my weight.

I've had some thoughts that I wish some of the buffs here would comment on, because if your perception exceeds reality you may be disappointed, and tempted to quit.

I believe that initial weight loss is rapid, because it is a loss of fluids. After that, the loss rate is reduced. In fact, it may even be reversed for a short period of time because added muscle weighs more than an equivalant amount of lost fat.

I believe that variables include; skeleton structure, age, sex, height, and weight. Also the ratio of body fat to muscle. That ratio is why two recruits, same weight, same routine, same diet in boot camp, one can lose 20 lbs and the other can gain 20 lbs.

You lost 5 lbs. last week. Someone may be interested in knowing where you are in your weight loss program, i.e first week, third week, fifth week, etc. That will give significance to the 5 lbs.

I've laid out the matrix, but I am not knowledgeble enough to fill it in.

If my comments are valid, can somebody please help her out?

And if they're not...OOPS!

JennyJake
02-23-03, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the encouragement First Sergeant!

No the weight I've been losing this week is not ALL water weight. Since last week, I have had 3 intense workouts with my recruiter. He pitted me so hard I was screaming. (It felt GOOD) We PT together every morning at 0900. Also I have been stepping up my running to 4 miles in the evening. I've also been setting the alarm on my watch and doing pushups and sit-ups every hour.

Add onto that a diet of low-carb/low-fat mini-meals and I feel I'm on the right track.

I also got the tape test at the recruiting office and I'm hovering around 29%. I have to be under 26% to ship. Lots more crunches and toning!

Hope this info helps fill in the blanks.

Osotogary
02-23-03, 11:11 AM
First of all, congrats on your progress. Keep it up.
Just a thought. Keep this in mind. You may not be in situations that ideally provide you with the tools to lose weight as you would like( like prepared lowcarb plus protein energy bars or meals). By now you should know your body, as well as, your desires. Modify them to attain your goal. You are heading in the right direction. You know yourself better than anyone else. Use that knowledge. Good Luck.
Additionally:
There is a story about a young lady who was in a bakery looking at all the goodies. The lady next to her pointed to a particular pastry and asked, "What is that?". The young lady replied, " That is 100 sit ups!"

JennyJake
03-04-03, 01:37 PM
I just swore in today and I'm shipping off Sunday night! AHH!!! :eek: :p

Parris Island, HERE I COME!

Thanks everyone....

Email me at Nightstar18@hotmail.com if you want to be on the email mailing to get my address to write me on the island. I promise to write everyone back at least once!

JChristin
03-04-03, 02:39 PM
Congratulations Jenny!

One bit of advice: Get a lot of sleep the two days before shipping out. You will cherish it later. There's been a lot of work getting you there. My prayers will follow that you will share the title, United States Marine. OOH RAH sister.

You can do anything, at anytime, under any condition, to meet any circumstance.

semper fi,
jchristin

ktriplett
03-04-03, 02:50 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm singing the congratulations song, but you can't hear me. Good luck!

wrbones
03-04-03, 03:04 PM
Congratulations Jenny! I like the way ya done that! Do all yer research, make a decision and then act on it...right now!

Well done, babe!

( She made a mistake, though.....can you say "Care Package"? ) :D

:banana:

JChristin
03-04-03, 03:21 PM
by the way Jenny,

The Oath you swore (or affirmed) today has NO expiration date.

semper fi,
jchristin

thedrifter
03-04-03, 05:24 PM
Congratulations Jenny!

Wishing you all the best..........

Well I'll give you my addy......and if you slip up and forget one of us.....You know we will make sure you will never forget anything again......Just Remember "Care Package".......

Best of Luck......

The Drifter

jerry wozny
03-05-03, 08:55 AM
Jennyjake get a move on. as has been stated in other replys, Marines are not losers. I am 53 and was about 35 lbs over weight about 6 months ago, I was getting lazy just sitting around and getting fat, i started going to the gym and now i am about 5lbs over the weight i want to be, you must watch your diet and exercise it you want to succeed. If i can do it you can to, you will not only feel better about your self but you will feel better physically. If you want to be called a Marine then fight for it, Marines do not give up.