PDA

View Full Version : Marines Train, Fire for Effect

thedrifter
02-22-07, 09:36 AM
Marines Train, Fire for Effect
Marine Corps News | February 22, 2007

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C. -- At 7 a.m., the New River flightline is calm and quiet. Only the faint hum of Marines gearing up for work breaks through the silence.

Marines with the Station’s Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting section check their trucks and personal equipment. Most walk around, greeting each other, talking about what they did the night before.

Suddenly a call comes in to the ARFF dispatch – there’s an engine fire on the flightline. Like a nest of wasps, they swarm to the trucks, donning their gear at unbelievable speeds.

They race to the Combat Aircraft Loading Area where Staff Sgt. Andrew J. Tator, the ARFF training chief, is waiting to begin the simulation.

ARFF Marines participate in training fires at the CALA every Wednesday to hone their skills and prepare themselves for “the real thing,” said Tator. “They need to get in there, get time on the hose, and really learn what it’s all about.”

The Marines move in groups of two, putting out simulated fires on the MV-22 Live Fire Trainer.

“It’s set up where we can control the intensity of the fire, but the water can’t put it out,” Tator explained.

“If they’re doing the techniques the right way, I will use the controls to stop the fire in that area. If not, it may get worse,” he added.

According to NAVAIR 00-80R-14, the main types of fires the Marines need to be aware of are electrical and electronic equipment fires, internal engine fires, tailpipe fires and hot brake fires.

“The training fire exercise will allow the Marines to combat each type of fire,” said Sgt. Shawn D. Rubino, the ARFF training noncommissioned officer. “We set it up so that it’s never repetitive. The Marines may approach the aircraft to put out an engine fire, when suddenly the ground around them ignites as well.

“They have to be ready for anything.”

While Tator may control the fires, there are always real dangers, said Rubino, whose primary job during the training is to ensure the safety of each Marine.

“If I have to pull them or push them away from the fire, I do that,” he said. “There’s no hesitation. It’s my job to keep them as far out of harm’s way as possible.”

Ellie