PDA

View Full Version : A Harley held hostage

Earle Comstock
02-15-03, 05:45 PM
This is an article published by Harley Davidson Enthusiast magazine . Being an active member of H.O.G. (Harley Owners Group) since October 1988 , I get these magazines as part of my membership . <br />
<br />

lurchenstein
02-15-03, 07:18 PM
Another good story Earle. (Look forward to reading your posts.)Any idea how the Marine Harleys were painted (refer to your afternnoon recon post & picture).:marine:

Earle Comstock
02-15-03, 07:22 PM
Still haven't gotten that info yet , you can bet your arse it's better than the Army's paintjob .

Earle Comstock
02-16-03, 10:28 PM
Just a little info about the Harley in the above article . FYI

The Harley-Davidson 1942 model XA

While the WLA (45 cu. in. Flathead) was the primary motorcycle of Allied troops in Europe and the Pacific during WWII , it wasn't the only Harley to fight the war .

They also used the 74 and 80 cu. in Flathead , and the 1942 XA .

The model XA was designed specifically for use in North Africa with a horizontally opposed , twin-cylinder engine for a low center of gravity and shaft-drive to tackle the chain-eating sand of the desert .

This bike was an American copy of the BMW . At one time there were many countries using this design . Today the Soviets have their own copy called the Ural .

The XA was the only shaft-drive Harley-Davidson ever produced and the first to feature rear suspension . The Motor Company designed and manufactured 1,000 Model XA bikes in just 11 months , but the North African phase of the war concluded before the other 15,000 examples on order were built . The Model XS was a sidecar version of the XA that utilized a drive shaft to an automotive-type differential that powered both rear wheels . Three such XS bikes were made , one of which resides today in the Harley-Davidson Archives collection .

A friend of mine has a Motorcycle museum here in Washington , in which he has three Model XA's .

lurchenstein
02-16-03, 11:52 PM
Thanks Earle! Great collection of Harley info. I couldn't find 1/10 of that in my search. Noted one book on amazon.com has info on rebuilding the WWII vintage Harleys.
I did find something for your equipment modernization program. (Your afternoon RECON is upgunned. You probably already know what it is.):D

bucksgted
02-17-03, 03:10 PM
Read the same article. Good to go. I also don't know how Marine Harleys were painted. Good to see another Biker Bud/Buds in here.

I suppose courtesy would dictate that I intro myself before jumping in. Please over look my disrespect. Hell, I'm gettin old.

Buck Sgt. in the airwing. Served 2/56 - 2/60. Cold War Kid. Last outfit was the mighty Black Knights of VMF(AW)314. Ping Tung & Atsugi. Boy, could those FORDS fly. Great plane in it's day

thedrifter
02-17-03, 03:22 PM
Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........Get a chance stop over at the Slope Chute, Gary and I will buy you a few drinks........Yes we have quite a few bikers in here....and We can also win a Harley.....Detail at this link........
http://www.toysfortotsharley.com/

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Sempers,

Roger

bucksgted
02-17-03, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the Welcome SSgt Roger. Glad to be aboard. The Marine you show on your posts is about to be on the fairing of my 03 Geazzzer Glide. I am making one minor change - across the top of the sword will say "the change" and underneath will say "is forever" Gonna go right between the aniversay stripes.