PDA

View Full Version : Guide/Squad Lead Position?

motivatedpoolee
02-22-07, 12:33 AM
Is it a title you must volunteer for?
or does the drill instructor just say .. RECRUIT. "XXXX" your my Guide!

This thread has probably been discussed before, but as you can see, I am new here!

Motorola07
02-22-07, 02:03 AM
I'm the guide in DEP, the recruiters told me "WILLIAMS UP FRONT NOW!!!, YOUR THE GUIDE"

cplbrooks
02-22-07, 07:09 AM
Is it a title you must volunteer for?
or does the drill instructor just say .. RECRUIT. "XXXX" your my Guide!

This thread has probably been discussed before, but as you can see, I am new here!

It can happen both ways. A platoon will go through many squad leaders and guides before it graduates.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-22-07, 11:58 AM
It just depends. In receiving they'll pick someone and that person will stay as the guide until they get fired for one reason or another. The DI will put a recruit in that position that they believe will do a good job. My platoon happened to finish with the same person that was named in receiving. He was a 6 year Navy vet, so he a headstart on the military mindset. But, he did get fired several times. On graduation day he, and one of our squad leaders that was former Army, had more ribbons than some of the DIs.

motivatedpoolee
02-22-07, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys..

Not to bash, but im sure a Marine picking a guide in DEP is no where near a Drill Instructor picking a Guide in Boot..

;)

I was guide in my DEP program and I didnt really do much to earn it other than paying attention... but now that I am not attending the DEP PT as much (long story...bad scheduling s#it w/ family plans :| ) Im not sure where I stand. :(

sabbs88
02-22-07, 02:49 PM
just stand out and try your hardest, thats what i always hear.

motivatedpoolee
02-22-07, 10:52 PM
thanks again men!

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-22-07, 11:00 PM
If you deserve to be guide, you'll end up with the position. But, be warned it isn't fun. You get punished on a regular basis for all kinds of things that you have no control over.

AshLynne
02-25-07, 05:42 PM
You don't have to be guide or squad leader to graduate honor grad. I wasn't. And if you're DI gets a wild hair up his... you'll go through many guides. Our guide stayed guide throughout boot camp because she knew guidon manual for drill, and my senior didn't want to look like ass for final drill. My tip? Volunteer, learn your knowledge, keep your mouth shut and your eyes open. And by volunterr i mean when the DI's say i need two recruits to go do this, you're the first one with your little paw in the air, or on your feet in front of the DI ready to go. It shows initiative.

The1stSgt
02-25-07, 06:40 PM
The Drill Instructors will be looking for highly motivated recruits that want to be outstanding recruits.

The platoon guide and squad leaders are selected for there motivation (leadership by example) and their ability to perform above the other recruits.

So, be first, do everything as fast as you can (without making mistakes), sound off loudly, do drill movements with snap, keep yourself and your gear squared away, volunteer when needed, and help motivate the other recruits by encouraging them to "do their best", especially your bunky.

Drill Instructors are expert at bringing out the best and worst in you. So, when the platoon is hating life, and your Drill Instructors can and will make you hate life at times, you must remain motivated and set the example to your fellow recruits.

Doing the above will not guarantee you the guide or squadleader position, but you will not go unnoticed.